Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 12th July 2021, 04:43   #2086
BHPian

Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Two subs brought on specially for penalties, both missing subsequently. They didn't even get to play 5 mins before penalties. Poor management.
Completely agreed.

It's not coming home, it's going to Rome, with the more deserving team.

Not only Italy were the better footballing team throughout the tournament (I know I know) ...but the booing during national anthems, the misbehavior before today's match, the mockery of that German girl, the diving (that Sterling kept trying to exploit today), the pompous journalist asking the Danish player about it "coming home"...I bet today's Italian victory tastes good.

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 12th July 2021 at 04:49. Reason: Correction of grammatical error.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 05:28   #2087
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Latin American football has lost its flair long back and today’s final was unworthy of a final between two of the major countries of football with lacklustre display from both the teams.
I must say the Argentina vs Brazil promised a lot, but turned out to be amongst the worst games i have watched in recent times. It was overly physical, scrappy and people taking dives upon being breathed upon by another player. Di Maria scored a great goal with that lob, and that settled the game. Am happy for Messi and team, but for a Copa America final, this was an undeserving match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
So, so cruel on a 19-year old to miss the decisive kick.

Italy deserved it on the balance of the tournament, winning multiple ways as the situation demanded, really missing the injured Spinnazola on the left deep in the knockout stages. Old guard at the back, too old they said. A liability, they said. Solid as a rock, still world class.

England didn't really push home their early advantage tonight. Kane pretty anonymous except the pass out wide to Trippier to setup the opener, and ref Kuipers was having none of Sterling's antics.

England finally have something they haven't had for a long time. A cohesive team and optimism. Their time will come.

What a tournament.
Totally agree. Italy played the better game through the tournament, and deserved the win, but not convincingly. It could easily have gone either way. i liked how Italy took charge of the game even when being behind, at one point enjoying almost 71% possession!

Kane was easily neutralised, and good to see Sterling's diving antics from the Neymar School of Diving didnt win him any favours.

Good quality of refereeing overall, from the games i watched. Unlike the Copa America, the referees here allowed for the flowing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Two subs brought on specially for penalties, both missing subsequently. They didn't even get to play 5 mins before penalties. Poor management.
It could very easily have been a strategy to bring in fresh players to take the kick. However, anyone else notice the atrocious quality of penalty kicks from both sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Completely agreed.

It's not coming home, it's going to Rome, with the more deserving team.

Not only Italy were the better footballing team throughout the tournament (I know I know) ...but the booing during national anthems, the misbehavior before today's match, the mockery of that German girl, the diving (that Sterling kept trying to exploit today), the pompous journalist asking the Danish player about it "coming home"...I bet today's Italian victory tastes good.
The behavior of the English fans in itself was enough to make a neutral person support Italy. They had it coming. Even when Chiesa came back onto the field from the sidelines from an injury (for which he was soon substituted) they boo-ed. The boo-ed during Italy's national anthem. They boo-ed during the Danish national anthem. Someone pointed a laser beam at Schmeichel when Kane was taking the penalty kick in that match!

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...2178i7c0ca9ehd

All i got to say is, the fans deserved the loss, not the English team. To their credit, they only allowed 2 goals against them. One being the splendid freekick by Denmark, and then in the final.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed