Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 04:43   #2086
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Two subs brought on specially for penalties, both missing subsequently. They didn't even get to play 5 mins before penalties. Poor management.
Completely agreed.

It's not coming home, it's going to Rome, with the more deserving team.

Not only Italy were the better footballing team throughout the tournament (I know I know) ...but the booing during national anthems, the misbehavior before today's match, the mockery of that German girl, the diving (that Sterling kept trying to exploit today), the pompous journalist asking the Danish player about it "coming home"...I bet today's Italian victory tastes good.

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 12th July 2021 at 04:49. Reason: Correction of grammatical error.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 05:28   #2087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Latin American football has lost its flair long back and today’s final was unworthy of a final between two of the major countries of football with lacklustre display from both the teams.
I must say the Argentina vs Brazil promised a lot, but turned out to be amongst the worst games i have watched in recent times. It was overly physical, scrappy and people taking dives upon being breathed upon by another player. Di Maria scored a great goal with that lob, and that settled the game. Am happy for Messi and team, but for a Copa America final, this was an undeserving match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
So, so cruel on a 19-year old to miss the decisive kick.

Italy deserved it on the balance of the tournament, winning multiple ways as the situation demanded, really missing the injured Spinnazola on the left deep in the knockout stages. Old guard at the back, too old they said. A liability, they said. Solid as a rock, still world class.

England didn't really push home their early advantage tonight. Kane pretty anonymous except the pass out wide to Trippier to setup the opener, and ref Kuipers was having none of Sterling's antics.

England finally have something they haven't had for a long time. A cohesive team and optimism. Their time will come.

What a tournament.
Totally agree. Italy played the better game through the tournament, and deserved the win, but not convincingly. It could easily have gone either way. i liked how Italy took charge of the game even when being behind, at one point enjoying almost 71% possession!

Kane was easily neutralised, and good to see Sterling's diving antics from the Neymar School of Diving didnt win him any favours.

Good quality of refereeing overall, from the games i watched. Unlike the Copa America, the referees here allowed for the flowing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Two subs brought on specially for penalties, both missing subsequently. They didn't even get to play 5 mins before penalties. Poor management.
It could very easily have been a strategy to bring in fresh players to take the kick. However, anyone else notice the atrocious quality of penalty kicks from both sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Completely agreed.

It's not coming home, it's going to Rome, with the more deserving team.

Not only Italy were the better footballing team throughout the tournament (I know I know) ...but the booing during national anthems, the misbehavior before today's match, the mockery of that German girl, the diving (that Sterling kept trying to exploit today), the pompous journalist asking the Danish player about it "coming home"...I bet today's Italian victory tastes good.
The behavior of the English fans in itself was enough to make a neutral person support Italy. They had it coming. Even when Chiesa came back onto the field from the sidelines from an injury (for which he was soon substituted) they boo-ed. The boo-ed during Italy's national anthem. They boo-ed during the Danish national anthem. Someone pointed a laser beam at Schmeichel when Kane was taking the penalty kick in that match!

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...2178i7c0ca9ehd

All i got to say is, the fans deserved the loss, not the English team. To their credit, they only allowed 2 goals against them. One being the splendid freekick by Denmark, and then in the final.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 23:49   #2088
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been suffering a lot for being a fan of FC Barcelona. Tired of Messi contract saga last year. It is deja vu again!
Old 6th August 2021, 00:05   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Have been suffering a lot for being a fan of FC Barcelona. Tired of Messi contract saga last year. It is deja vu again!
Economic and structural obstacles or whatever that means !! Messi is going to City I guess but not a deja vu like last time for sure

La Liga will be poorer without the biggest two superstars now !!
Old 6th August 2021, 00:18   #2090
Team-BHP Support

Might be a blessing in disguise, honestly.

Barca are obviously (and perilously) broke, so any money they can find in the sofa cushions is better spent on rebuilding the squad that desperately needs it. They were never going to be able to afford him even on a half-price contract unless they sold everyone worth anything at the club.

The most nervous man in England right now? Harry Kane!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:25   #2091
Senior - BHPian

I just hope Cristiano moves back to the red side of Manchester and that will add to the fun.
Old 6th August 2021, 00:45   #2092
BHPian

Quote:

The most nervous man in England right now? Harry Kane!
Now that Grealish is signed for City, it gives all the more reason for Kane to be scared if City is scouting for Messi too, though highly unlikely.

Also, I guess Messi could either go to PSG or even Atletico Madrid. I find it difficult to imagine Messi playing for an English club. He might stay somewhere in Europe and spend his last of heydays.

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2021, 00:25   #2093
Distinguished - BHPian

Lionel Messi is leaving Barcelona and his last press conference for them will leave every football admirer with moist eyes for sure. What a man and what a empathetic human being. For all his money and his stature in world football, he remains the eternal boy next door.

ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 15:28   #2094
BHPian

Messi has signed with PSG and is probably going to play on Saturday against Strasbourg. As a Messi fan I am so happy and excited that he is in a happy place and receiving a lot of love from the PSG fans.

Bartomeu absolutely screwed the club and they had no choice but to let Messi go.
Old 11th August 2021, 16:07   #2095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
Messi has signed with PSG and is probably going to play on Saturday against Strasbourg.
It would be interesting to see viewership numbers for La Liga post-Messi and post-Cristiano Ronaldo. And to see if viewership went up significantly for Serie A and if it will go up for Ligue 1 now.

Gut feel says it probably won't make too much difference, the era of one-star leagues is done, not like when Maradona joined Napoli. But would be interesting to see the data.
Old 14th August 2021, 11:04   #2096
Team-BHP Support

Away from the big-money shenanigans, what a night for Brentford, returning to top-flight football after more than 7 decades, and playing like they belong. And what fantastic support!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:48   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Away from the big-money shenanigans, what a night for Brentford, returning to top-flight football after more than 7 decades, and playing like they belong. And what fantastic support!
I used to be a big fan of these ‘big spending’ clubs like CHE and MANC and I am still fan of these two clubs. But since LEI won the EPL, I started supporting these underdog (small budget clubs) teams like LEI, LEEDS UTD, ASTON VILLA, etc. I know it is too early to say, but may be, we can add BRENTFORD also to this list 😊
Old 14th August 2021, 12:47   #2098
BHPian

Feels great football is back and with Euro Cup there wasn't that big break which i like. Arsenal being Arsenal. I think for them even Europa League spot might be hard to get.

Would have loved if we could have got Haaland somehow but am growing on Lukaku. He's been the best player for Inter past 2 seasons and playing about 7-8 seasons he already was 20th ranked top scorer in EPL. So he def scores goals and what we needed.

Also did we make a FPL league this time? Edit: Have made a Team-BHP league:

Classic: r4faov

H2H: x8a4zc

Last edited by AnandB : 14th August 2021 at 12:51.
Old 27th August 2021, 22:02   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Its official! Cristiano Ronaldo is back to Manchester United
Attached Thumbnails
The Football Thread-screen-shot-20210827-17.30.53.png  

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 27th August 2021 at 22:04.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:45   #2100
Team-BHP Support

The Arsenal bus is shedding wheels spectacularly!

In just a few years, gone from perennial top-4 finishes (and cup runs) under Wenger considered 'unambitious' to not even figuring in top-4 conversations.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks