Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 00:42   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Finally! Am a hardcore Argentina fan, & super happy for Messi and Di Maria, but still felt bad for Mbappe. He played superbly.

That moment, every player dreams of!

The Football Thread-dbcc6e56727e40c699bd57a6a6eecf4d.jpeg

The Football Thread-308e9960f8f442b28530cdc64ec75343.jpeg

Last edited by Samba : 19th December 2022 at 00:47.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 00:49   #2387
BHPian

France tried so many times to blockade Argentina's path to success but had to finally bow out. In fact, I cheekily joked to my family that in the aftermath of the match, Messi must have told Mbappe: "कृपया प्रतिक्षा करें, आप कतार में हैं!"
Sorry for the oft-repeated stale pun- but truly ecstatic for the dream run Messi had, and deserved!
Nikhil Beke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 00:59   #2388
BHPian

Incredible match!! The best world cup final ever. The game seemed done and dusted till the 79th min. Argentina was all over France but holly mother of God it got changed in fraction of min. Hat's off to Mbappe.
I can watch this match everyday for the rest of my life and will not be bored!!
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 07:21   #2389
Team-BHP Support

I was supporting France (as usual), but there's no doubting the fact that Argentina played better overall for most of the match. It was a good contest, worthy of a final. Sad to see France lose, but happy for Lionel Messi. He's a legend and can retire a satisfied man! As for Kylian Mbappe, he is the future.

I enjoyed this FIFA World Cup. Very happy to see Croatia become a consistent top-class performer. Luka Modric, it's been a pleasure watching you play.

Nice to see some underdogs put up good shows.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:22   #2390
BHPian

Damn. What a tense game that was. Was waiting for eternity to see Argentina lift the cup.

I had to hold my scream yesterday night. Father in law is staying with us and he is a heart patient. He already got scared when I shouted after that first goal (first half). He thought something happened. Once he slept, I had to hold my emotions. Was instead punching pillows. When Martinez saved the second penalty, I jumped, slipped and fell on my knee. Could not shout. Was rubbing my knee with left hand and pumping right fist in air.

Wife was like 'today is the day my husband has truly gone mad'.
ambandla is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:25   #2391
BHPian

Really a game worth its salt, it was a 1 vs 11 match, to be honest with Mbappe fighting alone for France while Argentina was basically a great team who were playing to win.

The legend Messi proved his mettle and made a legend that would take a long while to be followed up. A great end to his World Cup career. A legend was made.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2022 at 17:23. Reason: Extra dots, non-forum smiley deleted
Old 19th December 2022, 10:30   #2392
Senior - BHPian

I am no football fan and i tune into it only during the world cup later stages. And my heart was in my mouth from the 80th minute or so till the final whistle!

WOW! What a match it was.

When Argentina was cruising to what looked to be an easy victory, I made a comment to my wife saying someone should give a chair to the Argentinian goalkeeper seeing as he does not have much to do. And what a turnaround it proved to be after that

My wife gave me a snide look and said " you were saying...?!"

The second goal of the match was a joy to watch. The way they just kept passing forward, just brilliant.

All in all, a match worthy of a world cup final.
Old 19th December 2022, 11:08   #2393
BHPian

Congratulations to all football and TATA Taigo owners

I was so emotional and cried for Messi. What an amazing and awe-inspiring match, a benchmark for finales. Perhaps, the young French fighter made this match nail biting, every time he was flicking the ball. But what a game this was, still searching for my favorite Messi over the internet .

Div
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 11:19   #2394
BHPian

2005 UCL final.
2022 World cup final.

Absolutely blessed to watch the two greatest finals in the world of football.

Not to forget and thank the role that Reliance has played to bring the coverage to the masses. Yes, the first few games had so many glitches. I have not seen such a smooth high quality stream on OTT, not with Hotstar, not with LIV. And to give it off for free!!!!
ambandla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 11:22   #2395
BHPian

I'm ecstatic for Messi, Argentina, and all the fans who have been waiting patiently for so long.
I do have some reservations, though, about how organic nowadays' sporting triumphs are. I'm aware that my tone may come out as negative and grumpy. But give me a minute. Everything about Messi's move to PSG, which is owned by you know who, the triumphant finishes of Argentina and France, Messi and Mbappe's (both PSG) share of the individual honours, the group stage exits of Spain and Germany, and Argentina's loss to KSA, all felt overly cinematic to me.
The cherry on top was the finals.
I had similar concerns about Formula One as well, especially after Netflix became involved. I stopped following cricket as well, long ago, due to similar thoughts.
In any case, I'm glad that the World Cup met all of its objectives as a package of entertainment.
Old 19th December 2022, 11:24   #2396
BHPian

The ref awarded 3 soft penalties. Also, it is strange that he didn't show a red card to Otamendi after awarding a penalty against him: he was the last defender, and these cases almost always result in a red card.
Old 19th December 2022, 11:59   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
The ref awarded 3 soft penalties. Also, it is strange that he didn't show a red card to Otamendi after awarding a penalty against him: he was the last defender, and these cases almost always result in a red card.
This rule has changed, if the foul committed by the last defender results in a penalty kick for the opposition, then the last defender will receive only a yellow card.
This was done to avoid a situation of "double jeopardy", wherein the last defender is sent off and the opposition get a penalty kick.

But what a match!! deserving of a final. One sided till the 79th minute and sprung to life post that! Thanks to Mbappe.
The game was won for Argentina with Martinez's crucial save in the dying moments of extra time. That was the match!
greatgyan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 12:09   #2398
BHPian

I was so depressed to see that ARG was 3-3 after extra time that I did not even watch the penalties

However, when my wife came and told me that ARG had won I was bouncing literally

Reminded me of this picture (may have been shared before but my emotions got better of me I guess)

Name:  maradona_messi.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  57.5 KB
anand.shankar82 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 12:18   #2399
BHPian

I watched till the first half when ARG were 2-0 up. It looked like a one sided match. FR were hardly able to keep possession of the ball. So went to sleep and woke up to the shock of my life with the final scoreline of the match.

So Messi get a swansong retirement?. He's already 35.
Old 19th December 2022, 12:48   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I was supporting France (as usual), but there's no doubting the fact that Argentina played better overall for most of the match. It was a good contest, worthy of a final. Sad to see France lose, but happy for Lionel Messi. He's a legend and can retire a satisfied man! As for Kylian Mbappe, he is the future.

I enjoyed this FIFA World Cup. Very happy to see Croatia become a consistent top-class performer. Luka Modric, it's been a pleasure watching you play.

Nice to see some underdogs put up good shows.
This FWC was filled with upsets & thrills, i too was supporting France in the final & they were almost dead in the 1st half but they put up a brilliant come back in the 2nd half. Nontheless the best team has won amongst the two. Indeed Messi will be happy to retire stress free. France can along with Mbappe has more chances in future.

The best part for me was Croatia & Morrocco in the FWC these 2 teams had the potential to upset the FWC finals further but the pressure is enormous to deal with, but they did fight nicely though for the 3rd position

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks