Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 14:48   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Who would like to play football on Saturday mornings?

A few of us play at the Bethel Academy school ground, which is near Mullur village (about 2 km from Decathlon, Sarjapur Road). We play between 7 and 9 am.
Since this is a private property, we spoke to the person who runs the school, and we donated goal posts to the school. So we got permission to play on weekends, when the school is off.

Since the ground is big, and we are only 7-8 people, we need more people. No monetary contributions are expected.

For directions, enter these coordinates in the search field of Google Maps:
Old 10th July 2012, 12:56   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Dont you secretly wish he'd make the worst player in the squad your captain Maybe somebody like Arshavin will do just fine
How about appointing Wenger as a non playing captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I thought with Giroud and Podolski here it would be fun to watch them in action this season with a feeling there will be some silverware in the chest.
Frankly, do not expect much from Podolski. He is an average performer at club level who excels at international level. But, Giroud would be exciting to watch! Amazing signing. (May be City will buy him for next season ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
At this moment, Arsenal becoming more like a development and supply club. Last year was Cesc and Nasri, and now RVP. Good for club's financials, bu not so pleasing for the fans probably.
I agree! And they are supplying most of their talent to City. It's becoming an academy for City. Even Walcott may leave the gunners this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjith.R View Post
Sunil Chhetri Joins Sporting Lisbon B side, big step for Him . Hope he gets promoted to the A side soon.
[/IMG]
That's great news. Thanks for sharing. Sporting is a top club. Best luck Sunil.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:05   #1113
Senior - BHPian

The money from sugar daddies are increasingly making it difficult for self sustaining clubs like Arsenal F.C. to fight for titles and hold on to the best players.

There is no affection for a club or its fans by the players. And sadly its all about the money. All the talk about titles and winning trophies are hog wash. Recall the Rooney saga from last year?

But RVP could have managed the situation much much better. This statement was just not at all the way to ask for a move. I honestly believed he had more class. Update for the fans | Official Robin van Persie website

It is no way to replay the club which took care of him for many years when he would return perennially broken after international duty. One whole season without injury for the first time and he holds the club to a ransom.

I sincerely hope Arsenal sell him to anyone but City. That would be showing some grit back. But I am afraid, it won't be that easy.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:23   #1114
Senior - BHPian

^^

I think he is going to Juventus. Dont really think Arsenal will sell him to a title rival or he will move to one when a club like Juventus is interested in him. He can always move for money later in his life.

What do you guys think who has done the best piece of business this summer (so far). I think it has to be Chelsea. With Marin and Hazard also in the fold, they have all the makings of a very exciting attacking side. Imagine the front 4 of Torres, Hazard, Marin and Mata with 2 CMs behind them (Ramierz and Essien maybe). Thats a very very solid team. They are still in market and can buy somebody like Hulk (what a name!) as well to add to their attack. Thats probably the best attack in the league (on paper at least) as far as can be seen today.

City are practically unchanged so far though they will add a world class goal scorer for sure. I dont care for them though.

Arsenal have added Podolski (??? signing. What has he done at club level? Massive failure so far but maybe he can redeem himself at l'Arse) & some other nobody striker from League 1 (just like Chamakh earlier). And they are losing RVP! I will write off Arsenal right now!

And now coming to my team, United, I guess we are weaker than last year! Kagawa is a good signing and if he settles fast can fight for first team but he is untested in PL. Defense is still suspect (both full backs are a problem area and if Vidic hasnt recovered fully, even central defense as well). Fergie has done nothing so far to bolster central midfield that was the biggest problem area last year (or last few years). Also Berbatov might be leaving so problems upfront as well. Team too dependent on Rooney. Although if Christian Erikson comes (as is being reported) that will be a start. Need a left back, a DM and a proven striker to compete with moneybags in the league.

Liverpool are not a top team anymore so not worth talking about here.

Spurs will go down much lower than last year is what I think!
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:56   #1115
BHPian

There are rumors that Chelsea are bidding for Schweinsteiger!
Is that true?? It would be really great if he comes to the bridge!
Any Chelsea supporters out there??
Old 22nd July 2012, 14:18   #1116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Not a Chelsea supporter. I doubt if this happen, and whether he will fit into the new Chelsea under RDM.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:46   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
^^

What do you guys think who has done the best piece of business this summer (so far). I think it has to be Chelsea. With Marin and Hazard also in the fold, they have all the makings of a very exciting attacking side. Imagine the front 4 of Torres, Hazard, Marin and Mata with 2 CMs behind them (Ramierz and Essien maybe). Thats a very very solid team. They are still in market and can buy somebody like Hulk (what a name!) as well to add to their attack. Thats probably the best attack in the league (on paper at least) as far as can be seen today.
Now...add Oscar to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I am a Chelsea Supporter. No...we would not bid for Schweinsteiger. We have already made enough signings in the midfield. New signings could be RB and/or a striker.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:50   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Santi Cazorla in as well.

There will be departures but I quite like the proactive stand this summer.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:07   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Santi Cazorla in as well.

There will be departures but I quite like the proactive stand this summer.
Now Sahin may also join. City n Juventus bowed out from RVP race. New favorites is United with their fresh bid but I sincerely hope he'll stay with these fresh signings.

With RVP n Giroud up front, Cazorla/Gervinho n Podolski/Walcott in flanks, Song/Sahin/Arteta/wilshere in mid - things are looking good. Now all depends on how well the new signings adapt.
Old 16th August 2012, 08:21   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Arsenal captain joining Man Utd!!!

24m for third best player in the world last season is terrific piece of business by Sir Alex. I cannot wait to see how well he can link up with Rooney. Potentially it can be the most lethal partnership in world football.

How do my fellow Gunners feel today
Old 16th August 2012, 09:39   #1121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arsenal captain joining Man Utd!!!

24m for third best player in the world last season is terrific piece of business by Sir Alex. I cannot wait to see how well he can link up with Rooney. Potentially it can be the most lethal partnership in world football.

How do my fellow Gunners feel today
I am not an Arsenal fan, but frankly I was not expecting this. Arsenal has again successfully defended the title of feeder club to top teams.

I actually feel that letting RVP go was a good move. Otherwise it would have been similar to Henry’s last season with Arsenal.
RVP did extremely well last season, but there is no guarantee that he will repeat that feat, especially considering the fact that he is quite injury-prone.

I think Arsenal will be stronger compared to last year, but just that sending a top player to a rival club will definitely leave a bad taste with the fans.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:27   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
RVP did extremely well last season, but there is no guarantee that he will repeat that feat, especially considering the fact that he is quite injury-prone.

I think Arsenal will be stronger compared to last year, but just that sending a top player to a rival club will definitely leave a bad taste with the fans.
Thats one way to look at it but frankly he has been the best striker on earth for the last 18 months or so.

He is solely the reason why Arsenal will play in Europe this year! Arsene Wenger's biggest fault was that he couldnt recruit a capable striker to share the load with RVP hence we was overused and broke down frequently earlier. At united he wont have that problem. You might think Arsenal are stronger with recent arrivals but really all the recruitments are new to this league. It remains to be seen if they can work together. I am frankly not at all convinced about Podolski or the french fella. Didnt he buy the chamakh guy who was as good in League1? Arsene should have bought Cavani.

I think Fergie has recruited RVP more for Europe than league. PL is like his toy, he could win it even with worst team imaginable! In Europe though, you cannot play two strikers upfront (because that means only two midfielders and most top teams play with 3 in the middle). I think RVP will play upfront on his own in CL this season. Rooney and Kagawa/Nani might support him and then maybe three central midfielders to anchor. On just like other top continental teams he can play 4-2-3-1 with RVP at the top, Rooney + Kagawa + Nani in support and two central mids behind.

Last edited by joslicx : 16th August 2012 at 11:44.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:15   #1123
Senior - BHPian

I think RVP leaving Arsenal was a foregone conclusion given that he had only 1 year left in his contract and he made it clear that he won't be extending his contract. It makes sense for Arsenal to sell him now and get whatever money they can rather than him leaving on free transfer next year.

However, I didn't expect Arsenal to sell him to ManU and make their fierce rivals potentially stronger.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:52   #1124
BHPian

All said and done, Arsenal fans will keep saying RvP is injury prone n past his prime and it was a great deal for them. And United guys will be happy in knowing that they have taken away THE player that Wenger and the whole of Arsenal desperately wanted to stay.
Myself, being a United fan feels this is a shrewd peice of business from SAF, and would greatly reduce the pressure on Wazza. Sell off berba, send Macheda on loan as usual, get a good DM, a LB and let the games begin!!
Old 16th August 2012, 16:39   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Well, you really cannot hold someone against their wish and so - let RvP go. I mean, its time fans let him go. But sad to see him go to my most hated team - ManU. Will be even more hell to watch an Arsenal-ManU match now.

Somehow me thinks this season also will be a bit of a letdown - with no trophies again. But gunner nonetheless. Still waiting.

Most Viewed