Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:16   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

I dont agree that Moyes got a bad team to begin with. He basically got the same team which won the EPL last time and was also allowed sufficient transfer kitty. I think he was not made to manage bigger teams.

I doubt if Klopp would be ready to switch what with United no more in UCL too. Van Gaal is the only person who is good and realistic to take on the job but I am not sure if he would be welcomed by all. He is known to be dictatorial and strict in his training methods.
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:44   #1352
Team-BHP Support

I'll just quote myself from another forum on this topic:

Quote:
I'd actually ask the question the other way round. If the same team was so good last year that they won at a 'canter', why are they suddenly so horrendous? The manager may be terrible tactically, but what about the players on the pitch? Whatever happened to footballing intelligence, or are the players just multi-millionaire zombies on the pitch doing the manager's bidding?

Any neutral observer would tell you this team was on its last flourish over the lat couple of years, and needed a rebuild, Ferguson or no Ferguson. Moyes may or may not be right for United, but he inherited a lot of deadwood in the dressing room that he hasn't had time to clear out. Ferguson handed over a mediocre squad to a manager who isn't up there with the best, at least not yet, maybe never will be but one year is nowhere near enough to gauge that fact.

I hope the replacement gets a fairer shot with a better set of players. Overall, United have had a tremendous last couple of decades, and if they rebuild the squad properly, they'll be right up there again. The success that the management (and to some extent the fans) take for granted took time to build, and will take time to rebuild. A good manager is just one ingredient, you still need players on the pitch who can win over 90 minutes day in and day out. No self-respecting United fan can claim their current squad is capable of that, manager notwithstanding.
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:54   #1353
Senior - BHPian

I do agree to your viewpoint, but along with the team Moyes had a transfer kitty provided to him too. He was unable to do good business and was also not very authoritative IMO. Rooney should never have been given that new deal looking at the way he blackmailed united . Yes he has been good this season but not brilliant which warrants that kind of deal. Felliani has not been a good buy at all and it was just a last minute buy .

I do agree we need to ship out lots of deadwood starting with the defenders.
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:17   #1354
Senior - BHPian

After a long long time, was watching a Man U match - the one Vs Everton. I saw only the first half an hour or so till the two goals. It was surprising that though Everton allowed lot of space for MU in the midfield near their own half, there were hardly any piercing runs (like what Liverpool is doing now) or were any chances created. Ferguson was a totally in control coach and anytime the MU players reached the penalty box, the moves were so well coordinated that it was almost as good as a set piece - but I think Moyes wants more creativity from the team and this is an area Man U have always lacked, even under Fergusson. No creative midfielders like Iniesta or Xavi. Man U team were always told step by step what to do and that, I think, is their undoing now!!
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:36   #1355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I do agree to your viewpoint, but along with the team Moyes had a transfer kitty provided to him too. He was unable to do good business and was also not very authoritative IMO. Rooney should never have been given that new deal looking at the way he blackmailed united . Yes he has been good this season but not brilliant which warrants that kind of deal. Felliani has not been a good buy at all and it was just a last minute buy .

I do agree we need to ship out lots of deadwood starting with the defenders.
What really hurt United in the transfer market is the exit of David Gill along with Ferguson. Moyes really needed some guidance and negotiation power in his first couple of transfer windows, given he's never had a good transfer budget on his previous job. Managers find talent that'll fit their squad, but it's the executive side that needs to close the deals. The way Fellaini's transfer was handled was embarrassing. Realistically, United will continue to struggle in the transfer market at least for another year, until the new manager can demonstrate their intent and capacity to get back on top ASAP.

I agree about Rooney, but he was pretty much kept because a world-class replacement would've cost much more overall considering transfer fees, commissions and wages, if one was even willing to come to United. The defense needs to be cleared out completely, but I'm skeptical who they'll bring in. Rooney, Mata and Van Persie are probably the only ones left who'll make the first team anywhere else, the rest of the squad is no better than what mid-table teams have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
.......No creative midfielders.......
They neither have the creativity nor the legs in midfield. It's ridiculous watching Rooney working harder than their entire midfield chasing and closing down balls when they lose possession. Ferguson never really found a long-term replacement for Keane, Giggs and Scholes, and it was already starting to hurt in his last few seasons in charge. Just fell apart completely under Moyes.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd April 2014 at 12:44.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:31   #1356

David Moyes Sacked by Manchester United! What a relief

Mods - Searched but couldn't find any relevant thread. Please merge/modify accordingly

Finally, good lord finally, the 10 month (348 days) misery is finally over!

David Moyes has been sacked by Manchester United. Moyes managed 51 games in total (won 27, drew nine and lost 15) and created sort of unheard records at theater of dreams
1- United's worst home record in a decade
2 -Letting Everton and Liverpool both do a double over united
3 -First ever home defeat to Swansea
4 -First home defeat to Newcastle since 1971
5 -First defeat to Stoke since 1984
6- First home defeat to West Brom since 1978

and the list goes on and on

The writing was there on the wall from the beginning. IMHO a great manager always knows how to extract best from his players, the players in turn should look up to the manager and perform to the best of their abilities.

But Moyes did nothing, absolutely nothing right during his tenure. Nothing at all. Tactics were awful, Substitutions were terrible, Inspiration was non-existent. In short nothing really to justify that he was cut out for United.

If you look at team like Liverpool last year, you could clearly see that the transition was happening and they just needed a couple of quality players to take them where they are now. Do you see anything of that sort in the current United setup? Vidic is leaving, Evra is on his way out, RvP doesnt want to play.

There was no sign of attacking play, you just cross the ball from flanks and hope something good to happen.

The signs were there from the start. It was a bad mistake, I am glad that the club has finally decided to move on.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:50   #1357
BHPian

Re: Moyes Sacked! What a relief

Well a large part of the blame should go to Fergie as well. Why was Moyes handpicked for the job when he really had no experience managing a club expected to win trophies year after year. He won nothing at Everton, yes they punched above their weight sometime - but is that what ManU was looking for?

He was the wrong man for the job and he took over a team in decline anyways.
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:12   #1358

Re: Moyes Sacked! What a relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
Well a large part of the blame should go to Fergie as well. Why was Moyes handpicked for the job when he really had no experience managing a club expected to win trophies year after year..
Well, agreed to a certain extent but Glazers should get majority of blame here. They should not have cowered by Sir Alex's judgement.

Moreover, on a similar note Liverpool put their trust on Rodgers, Everton on Martinez (both are or rather were upcoming managers) with the only difference that these managers had displayed a visible panache for playing a high pressing, attacking football.

Moyes on the other hand did not have the same traits. His preference of industry over flair, Scottish origins were perhaps the only characteristics similar to Sir Alex.

Now i hear that Sir Alex again will a final say in anointing Moyes's successor.

Let's hope he gets it right this time around or comes out of his retirement
Old 28th April 2014, 16:26   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Have Liverpool just lost the league!! What do you say vb_san?

Best week for us Man Utd fans. Cleared some deadwood (Mr Calamity Moyes) and now the rebuilding can start. Louis Van Gaal is going to be our next manager so that is a positive start to the process. An exciting summer in the offing after ages
Old 28th April 2014, 19:24   #1360
Team-BHP Support

Didn't deserve to win yesterday. As much as I despise Mourinho's brand of football, Rodgers can't really claim he didn't see that coming. For once in a season, I wouldn't have minded a drab 0-0 draw with both sides parking the bus. Adaptability is as important as flair, and we were found desperately wanting on the former yesterday.

Tough to claw it back now, esp. with the kind of bench strength City have. A very telling comment on the BBC Sportsday feed yesterday:

Quote:
For impact, City bring on Negredo. Liverpool? Iago Aspas.
We'll come up against a lot of European opposition next year who'll play similarly. We just can't afford to be as clueless as we were yesterday. Not to mention we currently don't have the sort of defence to play 'park the bus', or the squad to implement an effective plan B.
Old 28th April 2014, 22:11   #1361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Have Liverpool just lost the league!! What do you say vb_san?
Well, I was waiting for this question
Rodgers should have anticipated this, but now we have really given the driving seat to Man. City. Now hoping for the Blue half of Merseyside to do something exceptional on Saturday (and then Liverpool not to slip-up in the last two).

That said, this season was exceptional for Liverpool. In December I was only hoping for Wenger cup
Old 29th April 2014, 07:36   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, I was waiting for this question
Rodgers should have anticipated this, but now we have really given the driving seat to Man. City. Now hoping for the Blue half of Merseyside to do something exceptional on Saturday (and then Liverpool not to slip-up in the last two).

That said, this season was exceptional for Liverpool. In December I was only hoping for Wenger cup
I think Liverpool have lost the league. Everton are the favorite whipping boys of Man City. Its a shame, I'd have Liverpool win the league rather than City. Its a very very tough lesson for BR. He got it all wrong against the special one in the most crucial game of his life. I am not sure Liverpool will get another crack at the league like this again. Especially they wont have Suarez next season to spearhead their charge.

Last edited by joslicx : 29th April 2014 at 07:47.
Old 29th April 2014, 08:40   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I would any day have Liverpool win the League than ManC. But looks like their dream run is over. Sad.

Good clinical play by Arsenal - won 3-0 against Newcastle. Looking like we will make that Champion's League slot after all
Old 29th April 2014, 08:47   #1364
Senior - BHPian

What a game it turned out to be!! Parking the bus or 2 buses as claimed, Liverpool didnt see it coming. And of all the people , it should not have been gerrard. And the celebration of Mourinho was hilarious!

Man city did no harm and ensured they are in the driver seat now unless they lose it in the next match!The fourth place finish I thought was hotting up but Arsenal put up a good show (Ozil and ramsey back) and everton self destructing.

Man utd had a good game but I dont believe in giving so much hype to Giggs. Its been just one game and yes there was a marked improvement in the way they played esp in the second half but I do hope that Van gaal is made the next manager and sufficient transfer kitty is provided to him for cleaning up the squad.

Apart from EPl, did anybody watch the la liga. Read about the racist incident during the barca game! Disgusting to say the least. Hope it gets controlled soon.
Old 29th April 2014, 10:34   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I think Liverpool have lost the league. Everton are the favorite whipping boys of Man City. Its a shame, I'd have Liverpool win the league rather than City. Its a very very tough lesson for BR. He got it all wrong against the special one in the most crucial game of his life. I am not sure Liverpool will get another crack at the league like this again. Especially they wont have Suarez next season to spearhead their charge.
I still hope for another twist in the story - Liverpool overcome the two obstacles and City drop points against one of the 3 opponents; quite a wishful thinking, but considering that we were not in picture a month back, hoping for the best. Considering that CL spot is secured I hope for some team reinforcements as well.

Most Viewed