Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 11:32   #646
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
hmm.. Its a good match. draw -a fair result too.
could've avoided Van Der Vaart's pen but should not complain as Arsenal should've kill game before.

Finally, Arsenal's consistency in throwing game away from 2 goals cushion costed them title (happened 3 or 4 times this season). Now they slipped to 3rd.

Chelsea now 2nd in points table coz of Goal difference. Wont be surprised if they win the title from here (but again its ManU's title to lose from here)
Its been such a topsy turvy season!
For the initial part of the season, everybody thought chelsea will be runaway winners. Then came arsenal with some flamboyant performances and a healthy lead, and looked like finally ending their drought. Meanwhile, United kept on grinding results, took great advantage of slip ups by arsenal.
And the league is still up for grabs for 3 teams!
No wonder its the best league on the planet!
Old 21st April 2011, 11:50   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post

Finally, Arsenal's consistency in throwing game away from 2 goals cushion costed them title (happened 3 or 4 times this season). Now they slipped to 3rd.

Chelsea now 2nd in points table coz of Goal difference. Wont be surprised if they win the title from here (but again its ManU's title to lose from here)
Thats was the problem for us (united) as well at the start of the season. Threw away too many leads to draw games (Fulham, Everton etc).

At the end, the most consistent team wins the league and that has been united this season. Cant complain with that. Arsenal have lost like 8 or 9 games. No team wins the league after losing so much!

If not for our slow start the league should already have been done and dusted. Now we just have to avoid losing to chelsea (good its at home where we have 15-1-0 record this season!).
Old 21st April 2011, 13:06   #648
Team-BHP Support

Man utd have not done too well at away games this season. Was it the case last year as well?

Pity they squandered another chance to wrap up the season.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:30   #649
BHPian

I can't believe the way this season has played out! So many twists and turns, you can never be sure of any result; look at the way Wolves have turned over United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City and they are still bottom of the table!! Who would have predicted this??

@benbsb29: United's away form was much better (in fact they picked up the most points away from home, if I'm not wrong). But this season has been freakish to say the least.

I'm not complaining though! And anyway United have never done things the easy way!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:19   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post

@benbsb29: United's away form was much better (in fact they picked up the most points away from home, if I'm not wrong). But this season has been freakish to say the least.
Our away record last season was far better! we were actually top of the away league.
Here are the numbers

---------P W D L GF GA GD PTS

2009/10 19 11 3 5 34 16 18 36
2010/11 17 05 9 3 28 23 05 24

Quote:
I'm not complaining though! And anyway United have never done things the easy way!

Last edited by figo_united : 21st April 2011 at 14:21.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:00   #651
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Old Trafford was always Man Utd's stronghold, so i guess that part is consistent. Its the inconsistency with the away games that makes the difference.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:50   #652
BHPian

Did any one watch the Copa Del Ray final between Madrid and Barca? I must admit grudgingly that Mou is a genius. Madrid stormed Barca in the first half by aggresively closing down all channels between defense and midfield. Barca couldn't string together any passes (imagine that for a team which is renowned for playing the tiki-taka style) and Pep had no answer. Its only in the second half when Madrid sat back (tired legs) that Barca grew in the game. But what a finish by Cristiano! Love him or hate him, the guy is an absolute monster.

BTW, it looks like we could have a team win the EPL with less than 80 points as well. Now that hasn't happened in a long while! United need 10 points from 5 games to guarantee the title. But then even less could do if Arsenal/Chelsea don't win all their games. Fingers crossed! GGMU!
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:41   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Old Trafford was always Man Utd's stronghold, so i guess that part is consistent. Its the inconsistency with the away games that makes the difference.
The last 6 home games we won, but away we managed 2wins, 3losses and 1draw. Clearly we need to work on our away performances. All things said, we need to win the next 3 games out of the 5 left to secure the title and luckily we playing 3 at Old Trafford. GGMU!

And it was a disappointing loss at Wembley, Hoping Stoke win! :P
Old 24th April 2011, 02:13   #654
BHPian

Phew! Another 3 points get us even closer to the 19th title. Schalke (A), Arsenal (A), Schalke (H) and Chelsea (H) to come in the next two weeks. If ever there was a season defining fortnight, this is it. Boy do I like the sound of this. Bring them on!
Old 24th April 2011, 03:39   #655
Senior - BHPian

Not aware that such a thread existed Anyways, it was a good win for United this evening against a Everton side who have been very consistent for the past few games. We could work our finishing, since it could make us more lethal. If we can avoid defeat against Arsenal and Chelsea, then we could rest certain players for the CL matches. Also it would send out a message to other teams in the league too while boosting our confidence.

Schalke lost their home match to Kaiserslautern today. So there is hope for United in the away leg in the CL. An away win will boost our chances of reaching the final but I will be happy if we can avoid a loss there and get a scoring draw.

I would like Nani to be played on the right with Park on the left wing or Giggs. Nani just doesn't seem effective on the left. Valencia can be played in the mid assisting Nani on the wings while the RB can solely concentrate on defensive duties.

Hope United make through this German opponent, since they have always been the banana skin for United in CL.
Old 24th April 2011, 16:51   #656

Quote:
Phew! Another 3 points get us even closer to the 19th title. Schalke (A), Arsenal (A), Schalke (H) and Chelsea (H) to come in the next two weeks. If ever there was a season defining fortnight, this is it. Boy do I like the sound of this. Bring them on!
AON - Alex on Nineteen is becoming a reality, thank God for that goal, I had an enjoyable Easter

Looking forward to lifting the CL Cup as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Not aware that such a thread existed Anyways, it was a good win for United this evening against a Everton side who have been very consistent for the past few games. We could work our finishing, since it could make us more lethal. If we can avoid defeat against Arsenal and Chelsea, then we could rest certain players for the CL matches. Also it would send out a message to other teams in the league too while boosting our confidence.

Schalke lost their home match to Kaiserslautern today. So there is hope for United in the away leg in the CL. An away win will boost our chances of reaching the final but I will be happy if we can avoid a loss there and get a scoring draw.

I would like Nani to be played on the right with Park on the left wing or Giggs. Nani just doesn't seem effective on the left. Valencia can be played in the mid assisting Nani on the wings while the RB can solely concentrate on defensive duties.

Hope United make through this German opponent, since they have always been the banana skin for United in CL.
IMO, Vidic, Berba and Carrick will be in the starting line-up against Schalke and hopefully we see Nani on the right and the rest just as you've said. O'Shea and Evans need to be replaced, i feel they are the weakest in our squad. Valencia needs to pull his socks up and we need crosses like Giggsys or even Evra's for that matter to come in, Nani's crossing needs to improve as well and as mentioned, he seems more comfortable playing on the right flank.

GGMU! We need some goal action!
Old 25th April 2011, 13:00   #657
Senior - BHPian

I think the EPL title is Man Utd's to throw it away now. I had always thought that Arsenal would somehow sneak in to the top, from what I see it has been disastrous for them, from title contenders to 3rd place. I don't see them pipping Chelsea for 2nd place. Chelsea are lucky to be in this place and they have Arsenal to thank for.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:21   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I think the EPL title is Man Utd's to throw it away now. I had always thought that Arsenal would somehow sneak in to the top, from what I see it has been disastrous for them, from title contenders to 3rd place. I don't see them pipping Chelsea for 2nd place. Chelsea are lucky to be in this place and they have Arsenal to thank for.
I would like us to defeat chelsea and arsenal and win it in style!
Arsenal have to blame themselves for not giving a proper fight at the top when they had great chances, and for letting chelsea through, and yeah, finally the 50 million man scored a goal
Old 26th April 2011, 01:03   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
I would like us to defeat chelsea and arsenal and win it in style!
Arsenal have to blame themselves for not giving a proper fight at the top when they had great chances, and for letting chelsea through, and yeah, finally the 50 million man scored a goal
Well Arsenal were bad enough to let Chelsea get ahead of them. It has been few terrible weeks for Arsenal fans (me included). Wenger still does not address the problems that have been distressing Arsenal for a long time. All I want from this season is Arsenal defeating Manu at Emirates.

Manu will reach the CL finals according to me. However the real deal is the El-Classico this wednesday. Mourinho vs Guardiola will be a treat to watch.

P.S - Good news for TATA SKY users. Ten action plus is finally being showed on Tata sky.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:12   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
All I want from this season is Arsenal defeating Manu at Emirates.
As always, arsenal fans will have to say "Next season" for this also. We have dominated fixtures at the emirates recently, and the trend will definitely continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
P.S - Good news for TATA SKY users. Ten action plus is finally being showed on Tata sky.
Oh finally! Really Good News for tata sky users!

Most Viewed