Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 08:41   #796
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Watching yesterday's match reminded me of the youth of the mid-90s and their trademark comeback goals. I was all excited after the match rekindling those memories. Staring at me were some unhappy faces knowing whats in store for the season and me on the weekends
Old 8th August 2011, 09:38   #797
BHPian

Nice match yesterday.

Though I'm not a Utd fan, its still refreshing to see a very young squad doing the job for them. It was always Giggs, Scholes to stage a comeback but now its a squad with avg as 22 years did it for them.

Cleverly, Nani & Smalling were outstanding. De Gea was disappointing though. Dzeko's strike was great but he could have done better.

Interesting weekends ahead folks!!!

PS: Hope Gunners will bring few WorldClass defenders before this weekend :(
(Am I too optimistic?)

Last edited by nfsfreak : 8th August 2011 at 09:40.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:22   #798

Our youngster were out to prove themselves and i must say that Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley really outdid themselves. Can't wait for the meeting at the Hawthorns this Sunday. I'm staying at home come Sunday evening.
GGMU!
Old 13th August 2011, 10:53   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Nice match yesterday.

Though I'm not a Utd fan, its still refreshing to see a very young squad doing the job for them. It was always Giggs, Scholes to stage a comeback but now its a squad with avg as 22 years did it for them.

Cleverly, Nani & Smalling were outstanding. De Gea was disappointing though. Dzeko's strike was great but he could have done better.

Interesting weekends ahead folks!!!

PS: Hope Gunners will bring few WorldClass defenders before this weekend :(
(Am I too optimistic?)
Yes my friend, you are too optimistic. I do not see any new defender coming. Fabregas will announce his exit probably after the weekend match. Nasri is also looking to do the same but my heart says otherwise. I would say Arsenal have not had a good pre-season. Their confidence is low. Let us see today what happens.

P.S - Does anyone here know where I can buy Arsenal jersey (the new one) in Mumbai? I am asking about both - the original one and the fake one. I know a shop in Bandra used to give jerseys (not original but quite similar to the original) but I think the shop has closed. Does anyone know a place for buying original and fake jerseys in Bombay (If possible also shed some light on the prices of both)

Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 13:53   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
P.S - Does anyone here know where I can buy Arsenal jersey (the new one) in Mumbai? I am asking about both - the original one and the fake one.

Thanks
The original should be available in most of the nike outlets.
The united jersey at nike costs around 2.3k.

When I visited mumbai a couple of years ago, I'd picked up a few merchandise from Amar stores in 7 bunglow. He had a good collection of EPL merchandise. I found some shops selling duplicates in lokhandwala shopping street too.
Old 14th August 2011, 00:28   #801
BHPian

I am worried about Arsenal - really worried. A point from an away game at Newcastle is not a bad thing though. Arsenal have not had a good start to the season. There was clear lack of creativity in the first half. Everything seemed a bit slow - Arsenal players looked a little lethargic. I do not know if this is a feature of first few games but I was hoping for a bit of more energy especially from Walcott. Every player seemed to be affected by the Fabregas - Nasri transfer saga. Arsenal still seems to lack confidence. Today was a typical Arsenal game - plenty of possession, bad referring decisions, flurry of crosses at the end of the game. Fortunately there wasnt a goal at the dying minutes of the game. Scesny is looking good; did not have much to do in the game but still was looking sharp. Defenders did a great job - Vermalen and Koscielny were superb. Sagna is still the same. Gibbs looks a promising prospect.

Midfield has always been Arsenal's forte. Without Fabregas and Wilshere Arsenal looked ordinary. There was no flowing football today. Ramsey played well but I think he has to perform better especially with Fabregas and Nasri leaving. The new boy Gervinhio will be gutted. Red card in the first game. Last season it was the new boy Koscielny and this time it is GErvinhio. To be fair he deserved a red card but then how could the refree miss what Barton did. Inconstintent referring has always harmed Arsenal and with one man down there was hardly any good football. Djorouru had good chance towards the end but it just wasnt Arsenal's day. I do not know why barton is still playing football. All he does is incite players and make bad tackles. Song was rash too and he too deserved to be punished for it.

I am worried becuase Fabregas is leaving. I keep checking Espnstar.com every hour just hoping that the bad news is not there. But that's my heart. My head says the news will come. The thought of Nasri leaving too is just too painful; and that too to City. This season will be the most toughest for Wenger and Arsenal. All I want from the team is focus and eagerness. I want them to play with full energy on the field.
Old 14th August 2011, 00:43   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am worried becuase Fabregas is leaving. I keep checking Espnstar.com every hour just hoping that the bad news is not there. But that's my heart. My head says the news will come. The thought of Nasri leaving too is just too painful; and that too to City. This season will be the most toughest for Wenger and Arsenal. All I want from the team is focus and eagerness. I want them to play with full energy on the field.
If I were an Arsenal fan I would want the situation with Fabregas and Narsi resolved before the season started! No player is ever bigger than the club, even your talisman. This is why I guess it is important to have a local player as your talisman. Fabregas was always going to leave and the manner in which he (and Barca) have acted is disgraceful! I mean a player of Fabregas class going for only 30m! At least Fergie got 80m for Ronaldo and a trophy (PL) in his last year!

I feel both Febregas and Nasri are utter idiots. Febragas is club captain at Arsenal yet he is going to Barca to sit on the bench. Nasri too is an important player for l'Arse but he is moving to City for money! How many world class midfielders are already there at City? And would he even start there?

I am pretty sure l'Arse would move on and replace both of them with some more quality players, they can get 2 world class midfielders for 60m they are getting for both of them. Maybe they can now hijack Scneijder from Milan (to replace Fab) and somebody like De Rossi from Roma or a good winger (like Hazard of Lille) to replace Nasri (Though I still feel they'll do better with a hardman like De Rossi in their midfield).

Why do people at arsenal have such attachment with Febregas? he doesnt want to stay so why not just move on? Wenger should have sorted it out weeks back!
Old 14th August 2011, 10:02   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If I were an Arsenal fan I would want the situation with Fabregas and Narsi resolved before the season started! No player is ever bigger than the club, even your talisman. This is why I guess it is important to have a local player as your talisman. Fabregas was always going to leave and the manner in which he (and Barca) have acted is disgraceful! I mean a player of Fabregas class going for only 30m! At least Fergie got 80m for Ronaldo and a trophy (PL) in his last year!

I feel both Febregas and Nasri are utter idiots. Febragas is club captain at Arsenal yet he is going to Barca to sit on the bench. Nasri too is an important player for l'Arse but he is moving to City for money! How many world class midfielders are already there at City? And would he even start there?

I am pretty sure l'Arse would move on and replace both of them with some more quality players, they can get 2 world class midfielders for 60m they are getting for both of them. Maybe they can now hijack Scneijder from Milan (to replace Fab) and somebody like De Rossi from Roma or a good winger (like Hazard of Lille) to replace Nasri (Though I still feel they'll do better with a hardman like De Rossi in their midfield).

Why do people at arsenal have such attachment with Febregas? he doesnt want to stay so why not just move on? Wenger should have sorted it out weeks back!
Agree to that. The situation should have been sorted out weeks before EPL started. But since that has not happened I think after this weekend the decision will be made. As far as spending 60 mn for 2 people are concerned - I do not see that happening. I think Wenger has some mental block in spending big. He is afraid to make big investments;probably afraid of them being a failure.

Attachement is a natural thing dude. There are no rules for it. "Dil hain ki manta nahin"
Old 14th August 2011, 12:41   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachement is a natural thing dude. There are no rules for it. "Dil hain ki manta nahin"
Just let it go sir. Fabregas, though was a tremendously talented player, but he failed to be inspirational for Arsenal (as opposed to the likes of Cantona or Keane at United and Henry at Arsenal itself). He has, so far, achieved nothing of note with Arsenal but he should have left only after winning the league (or the CL) for Arsenal. To me it shows he isint commited to Arsenal at all (probably thats why going out on "cheap")

I see that Arsenal are planning to replace these two with Marvin Martin and Edin Hazard. Now those are two exceptional players and I doubt Arsenal will miss Nasri and Febregas so much.

Wenger just needs to move on, act swift, forget these two duo and bring order. Didnt United more than survive loss of Ronaldo and Tevez! look who we replaced them with - Valencia and a crocked Owen!!! And still we won the league! Shows that no player is indispensable.
Old 14th August 2011, 15:43   #805
Team-BHP Support

The player maybe talented, but if his mind is somewhere else, it’s best to let him go, and bargain for the best deal. For e.g.; Torres for awesome for Liverpool, but it was great business to let him off in January. Now Liverpool looks like a better team without the unhappy talent. IMO, Arsenal should have offloaded Cesc last year itself.
Old 14th August 2011, 20:27   #806
BHPian

Here's an excellent article on wenger and arsenal's situation by our very own Gary Neville

Gary Neville: Arsenal fans shouldn't criticise Arsene Wenger | Mail Online
Old 14th August 2011, 22:53   #807
BHPian

When the only two players to be over 30 walked off injured, The "Young" red devils spark us off to a winning start

United played such attractive football for the first half an hour, but credit to WBA for coming back into it.
As usual, a defensive injury crisis looming already. Rio and vidic injured to add to rafael who is already ruled out for 10 weeks
But credit for SAF for having assembled a group of promising young confident defenders, evans and jones filled in so seamlessly!

Great result for us after liverpool, arsenal and chelsea all fired a blank!
Old 15th August 2011, 13:21   #808
BHPian

I would say Arsenal is lucky to get a draw. If Newcastle scored even a single goal, we would have lost - I dont see any goals coming. Not even close to trouble them much.
Arsenal without Fabregas,Wilshere & Nasri doesnt look like a creative force. Even the new boy Gervinho takes the ball into Box but doesnt have a clue what to do next!!! RVP seems to have lost it as he was cut-off from any supply from Midfield. Rosicky & Arshavin looked very ordinary. Urgently, we need some good players.

Quote:
Agree to that. The situation should have been sorted out weeks before EPL started. But since that has not happened I think after this weekend the decision will be made. As far as spending 60 mn for 2 people are concerned - I do not see that happening. I think Wenger has some mental block in spending big. He is afraid to make big investments;probably afraid of them being a failure.
Wenger is not known for buying players for just sake of it (like MC). Even SAF. They will invest if they really need to. I hope he can invest that money into entire squad (i.e) a CB (preferrably Cahill for 15M), a midfielder (Martin is already in radar), a Winger (Hazard or Ayew). Even after this, they would left with considerable amount of money. But I do agree that, the situation should have sorted before PL started. Ideally, even the replacements should have arrived. But ever-dragging Fabregas saga is too much. Barca just seems to drag it for ever. Its a shame that, dont mind spending 40M for Sanchez but really baby-cry even 30M for Fabregas who eventually is touted as Xavi's replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Just let it go sir. Fabregas, though was a tremendously talented player, but he failed to be inspirational for Arsenal (as opposed to the likes of Cantona or Keane at United and Henry at Arsenal itself).
...... And still we won the league! Shows that no player is indispensable.
I agree to that. Arsenal havent won anything with Fabregas/Nasri. So let them go. Atleast the money can be spent to strengthen the entire squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
When the only two players to be over 30 walked off injured, The "Young" red devils spark us off to a winning start

United played such attractive football for the first half an hour, but credit to WBA for coming back into it.
As usual, a defensive injury crisis looming already. Rio and vidic injured to add to rafael who is already ruled out for 10 weeks
But credit for SAF for having assembled a group of promising young confident defenders, evans and jones filled in so seamlessly!

Great result for us after liverpool, arsenal and chelsea all fired a blank!

Good result for United. Just that, David de Gea is not convincing in both the professional matches (CS Final & this one). Young seems to have gelled well with the team. Two good contributions back to back. Nani & Young on wings is terrorizing enough for any opponent

Liverpool's draw shows that even they are missing that creative bit. They need Gerrard badly.

Chelsea is not sharp enough even with Drogba & Torres upfront and fielding their best 11. Probably, they will bounce back in their next game. Watch out!!!

ManCity vs Swansea today.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 15th August 2011 at 13:23.
Old 15th August 2011, 15:03   #809
BHPian

The first leg of Spanish Super Cup between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona ends in draw(2-2)
Scorers: Oezil,Villa,Messi,Alonso

The next leg will be held in Camp Nou

RM had a full strength team as opposed to Barca missing Xavi,Pique,Puyol and Busquets at the start.
This meant Mascherano and Abidal had to be makeshift CB; Keita played as makeshift DM, Thiago playing instead of Xavi and Adriano in the LB instead of Abidal

Pedro who has been hit with poor form and fitness was overlooked in favour of Alexis Sanchez, the new signing(it was his first outing with the Blaugrana after just 2 practice sessions)
Considering the weak team and away game, Barca must be glad to take a draw and 2 crucial away goals.

Meanwhile, Arsenal finally announced Cesc transfer
Old 15th August 2011, 16:00   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post

Meanwhile, Arsenal finally announced Cesc transfer
Yup, Finally Cesc can be part of Barca Bench

Most Viewed