Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 23:06   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess it was a good show by Liverpool. The only mistake they did was to play Carroll alone in the first half. I still have my doubts about him. He always needs a long ball to play, and that’s not a pretty sight.

I think more than Arsenal being unlucky, the own goal was a result of a clever piece of work from Suárez and Meireles!

And Mr. Wenger had the same body language of our test team in England. Not so bright for Arsenal
They still have a lot more to do. Carroll did not look that sharp at all. I think he should have played along with Suarez instead of Kuyt. Lets see how this season pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post

BTW on the home front, I haven't seen many of us taking the trouble to go watch the Argentina-Venezuela friendly in Kolkata on September 2nd. Come on guys, its a dream come true to watch two first class international sides strut their stuff in an Indian city. When do you think this could happen next? Come on, lets show the world that we aren't just about boosting our false ego in cricket (even that's been flattened somewhat). Sorry cricket fans - just couldn't resist a dig!
True. I never knew that there was this match happening till I saw the book my show website. I was searching for F1 ticket info and I happened to see this. I think the organisers have to kick start some promotional activities.

@nkapoor, you planning to go for this match?
Old 21st August 2011, 00:13   #827
BHPian

^^^ Hell yeah addyhemmige! Train (del-kol), flights (kol-del), hotel, match tickets all done. And the match falls coincidentally on the same day as my marriage anniversary. I haven't looked forward to my anniversary this much ever before. Hope my wife's not reading this!! ;-)

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 21st August 2011 at 00:20.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:22   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Somehow Nasri leaving is making me more sad than Fabregas leaving the club. I always thought Nasri could fill Fabregas's place. Infact apart from Vermalen I think Nasri was our best player. I am going to badly miss him.
Yes, totally agree. Playmakers are the real players! Not worried about that guy who wanted to go back to his boyhood club. But Nasri will be missed!
Old 21st August 2011, 11:18   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, totally agree. Playmakers are the real players! Not worried about that guy who wanted to go back to his boyhood club. But Nasri will be missed!
I have seen that for the past 3-4 years Arsenal have not made a big signing (Please correct me if I am wrong). All the big players that are linked to Arsenal either move to Manutd/Chelsea/Liverpool or to Real MAdrid/Barcelona. This can be for the following reasons:

1. Arsenal really do not believe in signing big players. Their philosophy is to buy young players and develop them into great players. This is a good philosophy but sadly this is not going to win trophies. Plus it will make Arsenal just a feeder club to the other clubs.

2. Arsenal offer very low price for the big players in comparison to other clubs. Liverpool/Chelsea/Mancity have all spend huge amounts on buying players.

3. No big player wants to come to Arsenal. If this is the main reason then Wenger should be worried as a great club needs great players.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:43   #830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have seen that for the past 3-4 years Arsenal have not made a big signing (Please correct me if I am wrong). All the big players that are linked to Arsenal either move to Manutd/Chelsea/Liverpool or to Real MAdrid/Barcelona. This can be for the following reasons:

1. Arsenal really do not believe in signing big players. Their philosophy is to buy young players and develop them into great players. This is a good philosophy but sadly this is not going to win trophies. Plus it will make Arsenal just a feeder club to the other clubs.

2. Arsenal offer very low price for the big players in comparison to other clubs. Liverpool/Chelsea/Mancity have all spend huge amounts on buying players.

3. No big player wants to come to Arsenal. If this is the main reason then Wenger should be worried as a great club needs great players.
I think the biggest bottleneck for Arsenal is Mr. Wenger. He badly need a vacation. The body language, the way he talks to the press, is all negative. I actually feel sorry for the players. It is getting a bit like the Roy Hodgson period in Liverpool.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal will invest the 35ml from Cesc sale.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:13   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the biggest bottleneck for Arsenal is Mr. Wenger. He badly need a vacation. The body language, the way he talks to the press, is all negative. I actually feel sorry for the players. It is getting a bit like the Roy Hodgson period in Liverpool.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal will invest the 35ml from Cesc sale.
tch tch.. this for your most successful manager of all time!!!

You seem to forget Arsenal recently completed their new stadium and had to take a big loan for that (which is a good thing by the wway). Once the loans are paid off, Arsenal shall be on a very sound footing. All is needed right now is little bit of patience, and at least a 4th finish every season so that you get CL money.

All clubs go thru good and bad times. Look at Liverpool: top dogs in Europe for such a long time and now they have gone more than 20 years since they won anything special (read the league, theres only one CL to show off) In the meantime they have spent more than anybody else as well (except Man city and chelsea of course). Still they are much worse off than Arsenal. They do not have a 5star stadium (which arsenal can now boast thanks to their move to Emirates, the stadium itself means something like 20k seats difference which translates to roughly 30m a year of revenues!!!).

My team (United) lost players of the caliber of Ronaldo and Tevez (in other words better than Fabregas and Nasri) yet survived and went all the way to a CL final. I am sure Arsenal can cope loss of Fab and Nasri. In years to come you will see what Arsene has done for the club and will appreciate it.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:29   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
tch tch.. this for your most successful manager of all time!!!

You seem to forget Arsenal recently completed their new stadium and had to take a big loan for that (which is a good thing by the wway). Once the loans are paid off, Arsenal shall be on a very sound footing. All is needed right now is little bit of patience, and at least a 4th finish every season so that you get CL money.

All clubs go thru good and bad times. Look at Liverpool: top dogs in Europe for such a long time and now they have gone more than 20 years since they won anything special (read the league, theres only one CL to show off) In the meantime they have spent more than anybody else as well (except Man city and chelsea of course). Still they are much worse off than Arsenal. They do not have a 5star stadium (which arsenal can now boast thanks to their move to Emirates, the stadium itself means something like 20k seats difference which translates to roughly 30m a year of revenues!!!).

My team (United) lost players of the caliber of Ronaldo and Tevez (in other words better than Fabregas and Nasri) yet survived and went all the way to a CL final. I am sure Arsenal can cope loss of Fab and Nasri. In years to come you will see what Arsene has done for the club and will appreciate it.
Just a correction to start with – I support the team which defeated Arsenal yesterday

I agree with your comments, and what you mentioned about Liverpool is extremely accurate. But that said, I can see changes there, but the case with Arsenal is different. I am no Arsenal fan, but I used to admire the way play and get results (during the prime of Henry). But from the year before Henry’s departure, they went into this hole, and still dwelling around there. For more than 5 years he is repeating the same words in every media interactions, and that’s a bit sad. Especially for the fans.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:47   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For more than 5 years he is repeating the same words in every media interactions, and that’s a bit sad. Especially for the fans.
Haha, the one main reason I love Arsenal and am a supporter is because of Arsene Wenger. I think he has great vision and picks up amazing players even before others have seen that vein in them. But well, looks like other clubs have given him the job of picking great talent, nurturing it and then leaving the players out to pasture so that they can come and pick the ripened fruits.

Was that from Kung Fu Panda?
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:18   #834
BHPian

Atletico Madrid has ivested the entire Aguero transfer fee and more on Falcao and Ruben Micael.

Kudos to the team instead of investing it back on some unproven youth prospect the way "some teams" do

They've also bought Arda Turan who is a classy winger.

The battle for 3rd and 4th in La Liga will be super tight this year with all of Valencia, Atletico madrid, Sevilla , Villareal and Malaga definitely in it and Espanyol/Getafe too wanting to join the party.

Last edited by athul_S : 22nd August 2011 at 11:25.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:48   #835
BHPian

After an evenly balance 1st half, Man Utd thrash Tottenham 3 – 0. A fantastic second-half performance by the second youngest side United has ever fielded in the Premier League. Kudos to the youngsters like Smalling, Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones, Evans, Anderson, Young
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:49   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
After an evenly balance 1st half, Man Utd thrash Tottenham 3 – 0. A fantastic second-half performance by the second youngest side United has ever fielded in the Premier League. Kudos to the youngsters like Smalling, Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones, Evans, Anderson, Young
Indeed. Just loved watching the youngsters coming to the party!
Was very impressed with Anderson, Jones and evans.
Welbeck was not up to the mark till he scored, but once he scored, he grew in confidence and played really well.
Cleverley although didnt get much of the ball, came up with a peach of a cross to open the scoring!
Jones looks like a beast of a defender, boy what a recovering challenge he made against bale in the box! And he can run past people with the ball too!
Hope DeGea too improves and settles in soon. Still having some nervous moments!
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:23   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Indeed. Just loved watching the youngsters coming to the party!
Was very impressed with Anderson, Jones and evans.
Welbeck was not up to the mark till he scored, but once he scored, he grew in confidence and played really well.
Cleverley although didnt get much of the ball, came up with a peach of a cross to open the scoring!
Jones looks like a beast of a defender, boy what a recovering challenge he made against bale in the box! And he can run past people with the ball too!
Hope DeGea too improves and settles in soon. Still having some nervous moments!
Wonderful start to the season. Was a very good game yesternight. Pace, power, goals, tricks, everything on display. That is why I simply love the PL. Hold you breath excitement for full 90+ mins.

Was waiting for Aug like anything since the season ended in June. Didnt really expect this flying start to the season but it looks like this time Fergie has outdone himself! Smalling, Jones, Young look top top buys and cant wait for De Gea to settle well (his ball distribution is amazing though - that second goal was started by his early and accurate throw to Young).

Cant wait to meet Barca!!!
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:47   #838
Team-BHP Support

Excellent show by United! And even better is that the way they have got the best of their young players. I like the way they loan out these players, and bring them back as first team ready.

By the way, no Liverpool fans here???
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:54   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent show by United! And even better is that the way they have got the best of their young players. I like the way they loan out these players, and bring them back as first team ready.

I'm here I'm here!!!
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:19   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm here I'm here!!!