Old 23rd August 2011, 18:28   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You never walk alone?

I support the Red team too, but the one with 19 titles
Nope, never know how to walk alone

Hmmm, 19 you say? Interesting. So, I guess when we win our 19th title this year (or the next), you are going to switch allegiances? (since ManU are going to be stuck at 19th for some time)

And oh, there are still the 5 European Cups
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:28   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm here I'm here!!!
Thanks addyhemmige. Good to see a different red
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You never walk alone?

I support the Red team too, but the one with 19 titles
Oh yeah, bring it on... Now you know what's King Kenny's motivation

By the way, I hope Tevez and Mental Mario stay in Manchester and continue to bleed the blues. They actually look good otherwise.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:36   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, 19 you say? Interesting. So, I guess when we win our 19th title this year (or the next), you are going to switch allegiances? (since ManU are going to be stuck at 19th for some time)
Nope, not at all. Not one of those glory hunters who switch loyalties.
Any city fans here btw?
In any case, I dont think such a situation will arise anytime soon, looking at what we have got and how we are performing.

Quote:
And oh, there are still the 5 European Cups
Not long before that is overtaken too. we've missed two finals opportunities recently
And no way its gonna become 6 anytime soon, because liverpool first need to qualify for the champions league!
Old 24th August 2011, 19:07   #844
Senior - BHPian

This being a football thread, let me pay my tribute to Baichung Bhutia, who hung up his boots today, and was the lone superstar in Indian Football. It was after his arrival and along with teammates like Vijayan, Ancheri & Carlton that Indian Football was able to make a very very minor step forward from the disaster the team was during 80s

Thank you Bhutia for the 'Good Times' you gave us!!
mallumowgli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 09:45   #845
BHPian

Finally something to cheer about!

Arsenal has made it to CL! Gosh, there was a time that CL place was a given and now we have to fight to even qualify.

Evenly poised game with AFC holding about 60 percent in the first half and then Udinese captain tucked a header in the 38th minute.

Fortunately RVP and TW scored and we won 2-1 and 3-1 agg.

Player of the match Schezney! This guy is going to have a big big time and name with AFC if he doesn't leave soon or success not going to his head.

TW, RVP, Gervinho, Ramsey, Sagna and Song had a good game so did Vermalean BUT the man who stood apart was the goalie: even saved a penalty

Wenger: spend the money, get a main stricker a backie (maybe2) and attacking midfielder pronto.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:27   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post

Arsenal has made it to CL! Gosh, there was a time that CL place was a given and now we have to fight to even qualify.

Evenly poised game with AFC holding about 60 percent in the first half and then Udinese captain tucked a header in the 38th minute.

Fortunately RVP and TW scored and we won 2-1 and 3-1 agg.
------snip------
Yeah!! Guess they played pretty well and have shaken off some of their nervousness. I have to be in office at 6 in the morning so couldn't watch the game but woke up 10 mins before the game ended so that I could watch the final minutes.

Looks like I was too critical of Gervinho - he will turn out to be a good player. But we will miss Nasri most.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:43   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But we will miss Nasri most.
The Nasri transfer saga has become a joke. Now that he has completed his move to Man City, he says he made the move because the Arsenal fans did not have enough passion. At least Cesc acknowledged the fans and his manager after making the move.

The reminds me of what a certain Fernando Torres did to us Liverpool fans. Although I understood why he made the transfer, the least he could have done was to acknowledge the fans who had idolised him during his time at Liverpool. But, instead he belittles the old fans so that the new fans can forget his huge transfer fee and accept him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This being a football thread, let me pay my tribute to Baichung Bhutia, who hung up his boots today, and was the lone superstar in Indian Football. It was after his arrival and along with teammates like Vijayan, Ancheri & Carlton that Indian Football was able to make a very very minor step forward from the disaster the team was during 80s

Thank you Bhutia for the 'Good Times' you gave us!!
True! and thanks for bringing this up mallumowgli. Bhaichung Bhutia definitely gave an identity to the Indian football team which was mostly invisible before his arrival. Lets see who fills up his boots.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th August 2011 at 11:45.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:42   #848
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. Finally something to cheer about.

Quote:
IMO Arsenal were clearly better of the two teams. They created more chances, had more possesion and hit the target more than Udinese. Based on the performance of both teams I think Arsenal definitely deserved to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah!! Guess they played pretty well and have shaken off some of their nervousness. I have to be in office at 6 in the morning so couldn't watch the game but woke up 10 mins before the game ended so that I could watch the final minutes.

Looks like I was too critical of Gervinho - he will turn out to be a good player. But we will miss Nasri most.
I too had to be in office early and went to program my DTH box to record the match. However I just couldn't sleep and watched the entire match. Wifey was like - Arsenal will lose and you will come back grumpy. In the end it was time well invested

I also liked the way Gervinho played yesterday. But then these are early days and we have been there with Arshavin.

Quote:
The Nasri transfer saga has become a joke. Now that he has completed his move to Man City, he says he made the move because the Arsenal fans did not have enough passion. At least Cesc acknowledged the fans and his manager after making the move.
And Nasri does not have enough class as a person. I was pretty surprised by his comments. Nobody needs to justify their moves. This is perhaps the most lame excuse for moving. Arsenal fans lack passion - really?
Old 25th August 2011, 16:32   #849
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:
I too had to be in office early and went to program my DTH box to record the match. However I just couldn't sleep and watched the entire match. Wifey was like - Arsenal will lose and you will come back grumpy. In the end it was time well invested
It has been the same with me for over 9 years now! Cant sleep when AFC plays - however big or small the match maybe - even with a second rung team! Very difficult to explain this to anyone. Just cant!

Have a colleague who supports AFC - but says 'cant sacrifice sleep' - I on the other hand dont get sleep. But there have been very few instances when this time (post midnight) invested has played off well.

Few of which I remember are (if memory serves me right!) - CL games against Juventus, where your-name-self (Cesc) picked the ball from Patrick's legs and passed on to the King and the second where Inter Milan was defeated 5-3 on aggregate to again the "KING" ruled. Those were the days.

But.......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"

All said.. its still early days and we need to find a good sync between flanks and the unit as a whole....we surely are missing a lot of players....on the other hand.... how much ever I despise them.....ManU still rocks!

No offence to ManU supporters...no harsh feelings guys!

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2011 at 11:57. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:14   #850
Senior - BHPian

[quote=saildrive;2481566]
But.......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"

Woohoo, well said! And there are some friends of mine who follow one single player!

Quote:
how much ever I despise them.....ManU still rocks!

No offence to ManU supporters...no harsh feelings guys!
Naa - all offense from me fellas.
Old 26th August 2011, 08:35   #851
BHPian

Quote:
......as the saying goes ....."Once a gooner......FOREVER A GOONER!"
Well, as far as the team (post 2004) is concerned, one 'o' of the double should have been dropped, don't you think?
Old 26th August 2011, 10:35   #852
BHPian

Messi wins UEFA best player in Europe award

The voting was done by a panel of journalists who gave 38 votes for Messi, 11 for Xavi and 3 for Cristiano Ronaldo
Old 26th August 2011, 10:41   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Messi wins UEFA best player in Europe award

The voting was done by a panel of journalists who gave 38 votes for Messi, 11 for Xavi and 3 for Cristiano Ronaldo
That was well deserved, I would say.

But just 3 votes for Ronaldo, well....
Old 27th August 2011, 14:18   #854
BHPian

Did you guys catch the super cup match between Barca and Porto? This Barca juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down. They are no where near peak fitness but still they were able to put a very good Porto team away with ease. Sure Porto has lost Falcao and obviously AVB but they still played a good game in patches. Went down to 9 men though by the end. They even gifted Messi a goal via a misplaced backpass, like he needs them anyway. This first goal actually took the fight out of them.

And congratulations to Leo Messi for being the best player on the planet (not just Europe) by a country mile. Did you see him accept his award? He is so humble even after all this success, take a bow young man! Hopefully he will turn up in Kolkata with the Argentina team next week. Can't wait!!!!

Coming to United: Alex has been serenading Wenger with his comments in the press. I don't think the team will be charitable to Arsenal though. Although a faint noise in my head tells me that Arsenal will surely be up for the Sunday game. The young guns will be keen to show that they are no mugs when all the talk has been of Fab and Nasri. I couldn't believe what Nasri said though. Glad that we didn't get him, that little ****!

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 27th August 2011 at 14:21.
Old 28th August 2011, 18:19   #855
Team-BHP Support

Excellent show by Liverpool yesterday. Quite an excellent start to the season.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal goes today against the might of Man U!

Most Viewed