Old 19th September 2011, 16:48   #946
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I hope Pogba gets a start too.
Quote:
heck, If Gibson can be given games because he has a thunderous strike, so too can Pogba...the kid can hit a ball
SAF confirms he intends to play pogba against leeds
Old 19th September 2011, 19:12   #947
BHPian

Have seen Man u and Chelsea match and loved the open and attacking play from both teams. The match would have been even better if Chelsea strikers could finish some of the easiest goals a striker could have. Nani's goal was certainly a great one.

If I were a Man U fan ( I am not fan of any club. I just enjoy good contests.) I would be worried on the defence front. The number of shots allowed on the goal apart, the opportunities missed by Ramires and Torres should be cause of worry. Because there was none in front of goal, not even the goalie. Such mistakes in defence can be costly against better finishers (I still couldn't believe how any one even if not in form could miss them). The same mistake was committed by Barcelona against AC Milan. Just two lapses during the entire match changed the result.

So should be a Chelsea fan. For the third goal, not even a single player was tracking Rooney!!. They exposed the entire right side of their goal area unprotected.

Just watched the highlights of Barca vs Osasuna. It was like Barca were having shooting practice and the other team were practicing defense. It could have been easily 11 or 12-0 (score was 8-0) if not for some shots by messi hitting the post. While there is no contest in such matches I merely look at the artistry of Messi, Xavi and co. and try to guess where they would play the pass, trying to learn the tactics.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 19th September 2011 at 19:13.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:04   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
If I were a Man U fan ( I am not fan of any club. I just enjoy good contests.) I would be worried on the defence front.
I actually believe that is Man Utd's strong suit. Fully fit, Vidic and Ferdinand form the most formidable central defensive partnership on the planet. Jones is 19, Evans 23 and they both coped with Chelsea's attackers quite well barring a few moments when their markers lost them. They were given very little protection from midfield and on the whole I'm not as worried about the defense as I am about midfield. Barcelona overran us last season in the Champions League final and Chelsea did the same yesterday. It's something that needs to be fixed.

Quote:
Just watched the highlights of Barca vs Osasuna. It was like Barca were having shooting practice and the other team were practicing defense. It could have been easily 11 or 12-0 (score was 8-0) if not for some shots by messi hitting the post. While there is no contest in such matches I merely look at the artistry of Messi, Xavi and co. and try to guess where they would play the pass, trying to learn the tactics.
Barcelona have a beautiful passing game. Everyone talks about Messi, but Xavi and Iniesta make that team tick. To have not one or two, but three (if you include Fabregas) of the best passing midfielders in one team, Barcelona are a real sight to watch. Not surprised they thrashed Osasuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
SAF confirms he intends to play pogba against leeds
Brilliant Now all that's left is to see how he copes with the occasion.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:21   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Other teams should learn from Manchester United, instead of investing in big players. The teams should invest in the linesman.
One off-side goal is acceptable. But two off-side goals in a single match?? Linesmen had real bad day in office.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:04   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
One off-side goal is acceptable. But two off-side goals in a single match?? Linesmen had real bad day in office.
Well against Stoke we were denied two penalties (one crystal clear handball in the area and another deliberate tackle from behind on Hernandez that resulted in his injury). On both instances the defender would have been sent off. Imagine the result if the penalties were given.

And Crouch's goal itself was a foul. He uses his hands to press defenders and take a jump. Talk about decisions eh.

Every team has its share of good and bad decisions. They eventually even out over the course of a season. Stop complaining. The Nani goal in Chelsea game was his own making. There was no advantage because of the marginal offside whatsoever. He still beat couple of chelsea men and still struck a peach in the far corner. Its so useless to crib about that. why didnt chelsea players try and tackle him before he beat them and took the shot! It just smells excuses, to see people moan about offsides and all. As if their team(s) never benefitted from refreeing blunders!!!
Old 28th September 2011, 10:17   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well against Stoke we were denied two penalties (one crystal clear handball in the area and another deliberate tackle from behind on Hernandez that resulted in his injury). On both instances the defender would have been sent off. Imagine the result if the penalties were given.

And Crouch's goal itself was a foul. He uses his hands to press defenders and take a jump. Talk about decisions eh.

Every team has its share of good and bad decisions. They eventually even out over the course of a season. Stop complaining. The Nani goal in Chelsea game was his own making. There was no advantage because of the marginal offside whatsoever. He still beat couple of chelsea men and still struck a peach in the far corner. Its so useless to crib about that. why didnt chelsea players try and tackle him before he beat them and took the shot! It just smells excuses, to see people moan about offsides and all. As if their team(s) never benefitted from refreeing blunders!!!
Who is complaining here? It was a comment about bad performance by Match Officials. And it was poor to say the least. It's high time to make use of technology in the Game. (Only to check validity of Goals scored and may be - the Red Card)

It was an entertaining and open game. Both teams had enough chances to win the game. ManU took their chances and won squarely. Chelsea was more attacking of the both and had created more chances. They displayed entertaining football as opposed to their 'boring' (but match-winning) style (inherited from the Special One- JM)). With Man City also in good form, this Season will be the exciting three-horse race. It will be a treat to watch.

No cribbing or complaints here. It's a league. You have to be consistent for 38 games around the year. One win does not guarantee the title and one loss is not the end of the world. So, both teams have a lot to do to secure the title.

So, take a bow and thank both teams for the entertaining game.

And to end with - the quality of referring was poor.

Last edited by Panko : 28th September 2011 at 10:19.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:19   #952
BHPian

Argentine forward Carlos Tevez "is finished" as a Manchester City player after he refused to come on as a substitute during the 2-0 defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League, manager Roberto Mancini has said.

What an unprofessional and unacceptable behavior by Tevez. I was his fan for his never-say-die attitude on the field. But his behavior off the field from the start of this season is unbearable. Mancini's stand is correct. Tevez's behavior can disturb the dressing-room atmosphere. City is already doing good without him and playing with team-spirit. Bye bye Tevez. You can never get bigger than the game.

Last edited by Panko : 28th September 2011 at 14:22.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:41   #953
BHPian

Quote:
I actually believe that is Man Utd's strong suit. Fully fit, Vidic and Ferdinand form the most formidable central defensive partnership on the planet. Jones is 19, Evans 23 and they both coped with Chelsea's attackers quite well barring a few moments when their markers lost them. They were given very little protection from midfield and on the whole I'm not as worried about the defense as I am about midfield. Barcelona overran us last season in the Champions League final and Chelsea did the same yesterday. It's something that needs to be fixed.
Maybe. As I said I don't follow any team in particular and have difficulty in remembering all the names. My reaction was after watching that particular game against Chelsea. But again in yesterday's game against Basel if not for the poor finishing of Basel forwards, Man U would have been in trouble. Their forwards are, however, playing very good at the moment, not only creating many chances but finishing them in style.

Quote:
Barcelona have a beautiful passing game. Everyone talks about Messi, but Xavi and Iniesta make that team tick. To have not one or two, but three (if you include Fabregas) of the best passing midfielders in one team, Barcelona are a real sight to watch. Not surprised they thrashed Osasuna.
Actually they feed on each other. However good a pass may be you still need a finisher. And the same applies to a striker. However good he may be he needs some good passes. I have seen the three forming a triangle and taking the opposition defence to tatters many a times. With the addition of Fabergas, the play has only improved further.

I saw their match against Valencia and was really impressed by the way valencia played during the 1st half. They pressed relentlessly and the runs that they made on counter attacks were amazing due to both pace and the quality of the play. Barca were beaten at their own game. Second half was another story. Barca hit back and in style. I was surprised by pep substituting Puyol with Thiago. Quite a gamble and very aggressive indeed. Alves was asked to stay back, which restricted the space on the left flank for valencia, which was their primary angle of attack in the first half.

The match against Atletico madrid was also expected to be a tough one, but it was once again complete dominance by Barca. The goals by Messi, especially his first (Barca's 3rd) was a masterclass.

Saw Real madrid's matches also which were quite entertaining. Ronaldo is in good form and so are other forwards. Nice to see Kaka getting some playtime (I like this guy. Good skills on the field and humble off it).

And finally felt nice watching Arsenal win a game.

BY the way I watched most of the matches on Internet. Here's the site for free streaming of almost any league. One just needs a good broadband internet.

http://www.freefootball.eu/

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 28th September 2011 at 17:09.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 17:46   #954
Senior - BHPian

Thanks vamsi for the link. With my cable operator telecasting the idiotic CL20 (only 2 sports channels and both were cricket yesternight :( ) your link will come very handy. I have a 2Mbps connection

have stopped following Real or Barca long back so cannot involve in this discussion. Its sad that prima liga is reduced to hegemony of 2 teams, with all other clubs virtually bankrupt and unable to take on these two. Even giants like Valencia and Atletico are losing by huge margins very regularly. Thats incredible and sad as well. La liga people will have to do something about this otherwise the duopoly will just drive away whatever little number of fans la liga has...

Last edited by joslicx : 28th September 2011 at 17:48.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:18   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vamsi for the link. With my cable operator telecasting the idiotic CL20 (only 2 sports channels and both were cricket yesternight :( ) your link will come very handy. I have a 2Mbps connection

have stopped following Real or Barca long back so cannot involve in this discussion. Its sad that prima liga is reduced to hegemony of 2 teams, with all other clubs virtually bankrupt and unable to take on these two. Even giants like Valencia and Atletico are losing by huge margins very regularly. Thats incredible and sad as well. La liga people will have to do something about this otherwise the duopoly will just drive away whatever little number of fans la liga has...
You are welcome.

As said earlier in my previous posts, I don't follow any league in particular. And as such I don't care much about who is leading the leagues etc. I watch their games because of the players and the way they play. If you see current Barca team, most of them have come from their La Masia ( their youth program).

What I believe is money cannot bring success or quality. It does give undue advantage but cannot ensure success. Case in point is the Galacticos project undertaken by Real madrid. They bought the most charismatic players from across the globe spending millions of dollars. But that project didn't yield the results they dreamed of, because collection of great individuals cannot give returns. But collection of great individuals who play as a team certainly would.

Of course it is not good for any sport if only few dominate that too with huge money at their disposal. But sometimes the way these teams dominate do make me stand-up and watch them. The current Barca team is one such team. The quality of players, the way they play the game is really great. Whatever one may do it is not possible to have such team. These sort of teams come once in a while, and as a sports enthusiast I want to enjoy it till it lasts. I hope you too enjoy the exceptional talent who just don't play individually but as a collective unit.

If you follow cricket, you would know of the period when Australia dominated the sport. But even then I didn't miss any of their matches as I was mesmerised by the quality of their game and their hunger for victory.

Lastly I am a cricket fan and I don't think CLT20 is idiotic, but yes everyone should have the option to watch what they like. An unsolicited advice, but why don't you get Hathway box, you would get most of the sports channels.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 29th September 2011 at 17:23.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:24   #956
JVH
Senior - BHPian

OK anybody play the EA Sports FIFA game on their iPads/Lappies/PCs? Have been playing for the last 7 years and been winning with my team

Only grouse is the transfers are not updated and you have to manually change the teams based on the latest updates.

P.S - Whenever my team actually lost on the weekend EPL fixture, I used to play that particular fixture and win. Wife thought am being paranoid
Old 29th September 2011, 17:53   #957
BHPian

Quote:

What I believe is money cannot bring success or quality. It does give undue advantage but cannot ensure success. Case in point is the Galacticos project undertaken by Real madrid. They bought the most charismatic players from across the globe spending millions of dollars. But that project didn't yield the results they dreamed of, because collection of great individuals cannot give returns. But collection of great individuals who play as a team certainly would.
I agree with most of what you have said except about the current RM team. The team would have been immensely successful except for one small factor. They are unfortunately playing in the same league with one of the best team ever assembled. Barca. Yes, they have been second best for the past couple of seasons but have been very close. They have been racking up huge points and GD but Barca have been a few points better.

Barca have also been spending heavily (probably a bit less than RM). They have the highest average pay across sports now and also have huge debts from the spending. However, their spending gets brushed aside because of the brilliance of the team.

RM were fairly successful in the first Galacticos project. They didn't have this Barcelona team then.

Disclaimer: I have been a Barca fan for long till I switched countries (La Liga became pretty boring) and team with Benitez
Old 29th September 2011, 17:53   #958
Senior - BHPian

Nice match - Arsenal v/s Olympiakos last night. Chamberlain is surely a great find - scored one and the other was scored by Santos. Nice to finally see a smile on Wenger's face. Though defense is still a little bit shaky. Mertesacker is still, well, shaky!
Old 29th September 2011, 18:07   #959
Senior - BHPian

Vamsi

Talking about Money, Barca themselves have spent upwards of 350m euros under Pep (so thats in the last 3 years!) They won absolutely everything last year and have humungous revenues still they made no profit this year (actually made a little loss). They have brought thru many world class players from their academy but they have also bought some players for insane amounts (they bought a defender whose name is unpronouncable for 25m and he is nowhere to be seen now!). They are next only to Man City and Real as far as spending goes. Their wage bill even beats Man City (so Messi, Xavi et al are on massive wages). If not for money, I dont think Barca would be what they are today!!!

You might enjoy their style of play but I really get bored by it! They just keep the ball, do nothing for ages and then like a Cobra strike suddenly. The other team just chases the ball all the time. It is of course not their fault, for they are good enough to keep the ball (which is the most difficult thing to do in football apart from kicking it in the net) but it makes the game rather dour and one sided. How I wish one day some team should just make all 11 players stand in front of the goal (all 6+ footers) and do nothing and let Barca have 100% possession. It would be a spectacle!

As for cricket, I only follow indian team, that too ODIs and tests. No T20 for me. I am fine with others following it. The problem is just that now with the cable operator broadcasting only 2 sports channels, both are cricket :( I do have the Hathway box but it seems to have gone kaput. Called the cable guy but he hasn't come to replace/repair it so far. Heck, he has not bothered to come and collect the monthly charges since May last year (thats when we came to Bangalore!!!) He simply doesnt bother. Its incredulous!!!
Old 29th September 2011, 23:25   #960
BHPian

Quote:

You might enjoy their style of play but I really get bored by it! They just keep the ball, do nothing for ages and then like a Cobra strike suddenly. The other team just chases the ball all the time. It is of course not their fault, for they are good enough to keep the ball (which is the most difficult thing to do in football apart from kicking it in the net) but it makes the game rather dour and one sided. How I wish one day some team should just make all 11 players stand in front of the goal (all 6+ footers) and do nothing and let Barca have 100% possession. It would be a spectacle!
Boy! this is a first time! A person getting bored by Barcelona football! Let me ask you whose football game you like then? Teams have their strengths and weakness! Barca's weakness is their defense. Their strength - Mid field and they are bloody good at it. Rarely I have seen barca scoring scrappy goals. When they score, they score in style. And its not just about having Messi in the team. Barca is one great example of team-work and hard work.

Manutd have had a great start to their season. But if you ask me I do not like the kind of football they play. Headers and tap-ins are not the kind of goals I like watching. But Manutd excel in this and they win with their strategy. It is boring sometimes but who cares! At the end of the day all that matters is your position in the table. Birmingham won the carling cup last year but look where they are now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks