Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 11:38   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Hmmm. Is it Liverpool's fault that most of your senior players have retired/suspended/tired/whatever etc etc etc just before this game? Liverpool certainly did not ask SAF to field a half strength team. A team can play only the guys who are on the field. This was not a match between Liverpool FC and Manchester United FC Reserves (or Half strength side). This was a match between Liverpool FC and Manchester United FC.
So are you suggesting Liverpool have fallen SO far behind us that Utd are "expected" to always beat them, even with a weakened side!!!

I like the sound of that
Old 18th October 2011, 13:08   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe Liverpool would have won handsomely if SAF had fielded a full strength side, who knows???
@joslicx, I see that you may have missed the above statement in my last post (see quote above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So are you suggesting Liverpool have fallen SO far behind us that Utd are "expected" to always beat them, even with a weakened side!!!

I like the sound of that
I'm not sure where I am suggesting the above, but yes, I do agree that Liverpool have fallen behind Manchester Utd and it will take some catching up to be done on their part. And regarding the expectation that Man Utd can beat Liverpool anytime, it is just a ManU fan's dream, nothing more

In these high pressure games, nobody can expect a cakewalk. It may be Liverpool v/s Manchester Utd or Liverpool v/s Everton or ManU v/s ManCity. These are all high pressure games and I don't think anyone 'expects' any team to win the game before the game (of course the fans expect their team to win everytime)
Old 19th October 2011, 12:29   #993
BHPian

Quote:
These are all high pressure games and I don't think anyone 'expects' any team to win the game before the game (of course the fans expect their team to win everytime)

Quote:

I like the sound of that
@ Joslicx: You just made a completely and utterly funny statement.
Old 19th October 2011, 13:43   #994
BHPian

Quote:

I like the sound of that
Fallen behind they have!
Otherwise why would anybody play meaningless friendlies mid-week to make up for absence of European football, and to make it worse, lose that too
Old 19th October 2011, 16:00   #995
BHPian

Regarding Liverpool-Rangers Game: Both clubs used the match as an opportunity to give run-outs to a number of players who have not seen regular action this campaign.

And it's better to loose in a friendly (with most first-team players rested) against SPL champions in an away game compared to pathetic draw (near defeat) in UCL group game against FC Basel(who???) at home.
Old 19th October 2011, 23:20   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
Regarding Liverpool-Rangers Game: Both clubs used the match as an opportunity to give run-outs to a number of players who have not seen regular action this campaign.

And it's better to loose in a friendly (with most first-team players rested) against SPL champions in an away game compared to pathetic draw (near defeat) in UCL group game against FC Basel(who???) at home.
Are you serious? You think playing a meaningless friendly and losing is better than playing in the champions league
is the only word I can think of!
Old 20th October 2011, 10:16   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Are you serious? You think playing a meaningless friendly and losing is better than playing in the champions league
I agree. Yes. is the only option when someone has nothing better to offer.

Also, I have following observations regarding this thread:
- This thread is full of Man Utd fans.
- Whenever Man Utd performs badly, there is always some external factor involved. It could be the- absence of players due to injury, players lacking rest due to international duties (since, other clubs do not field any internationals), Retirement of key players, etc. Otherwise, how could the only 'best' team on earth could have a bad day on field.
- Whenever other top teams perform well against, it's just because of few referee-blunders or unfair play.
- SAF is God. He could never go wrong. However, Pep, Jose, King, AVB are just lucky to be blessed with world-class players.
- Whenever someone criticizes United or praises other clubs/players, he gets bashed. (I am waiting....)

In my opinion:
- There is no excuse for bad performance in professional football.
- One poor performance does not make a club/player bad overnight.
- Every club has highs and lows.
- Everyone should take the criticism positively and be ready to admit if the team is not playing well.
- Respect everyone. Respect entire football fraternity.

Last edited by Panko : 20th October 2011 at 10:40.
Panko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:44   #998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Whenever Man Utd performs badly, there is always some external factor involved. It could be the- absence of players due to injury, players lacking rest due to international duties (since, other clubs do not field any internationals), Retirement of key players, etc. Otherwise, how could the only 'best' team on earth could have a bad day on field.
- Whenever other top teams perform well against, it's just because of few referee-blunders or unfair play.
- SAF is God. He could never go wrong. However, Pep, Jose, King, AVB are just lucky to be blessed with world-class players.
- Whenever someone criticizes United or praises other clubs/players, he gets bashed. (I am waiting....)

In my opinion:
- Everyone should take the criticism positively and be ready to admit if the team is not playing well.
Oh like this post. 100% true!

It’s not in this thread alone, it’s a Man U fan’s mentality worldwide
I support Liverpool, but I have no qualms in admitting that I admire the ability of Sir Alex to get the best out of his players, and even better is the way he subtly bring in new blood, and discard the old guard (I feel Rio is next in line). Last weekend he showed his tactical acumen again by fielding a team to avoid defeat. And the result (as we all know) was in his favour!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:02   #999
BHPian

+ 1 to Panko and vb-san's post.

Look at the products from MANU - Beckham, Rooney (everton to manu), giggs, scholes and the inevitable Cantona and Roy Keane!

Me an out and out Arsenal fan - luckily we scored in the 90th minute last night to win our 3 points. scrappy game.... never looked confident - infact all throughout looked as if Marseille will score. back to epl and i hope we start climbing - been hearing a lot about ryo, alex (watched him briefly) .... dont know why AW gets them playing?
Old 20th October 2011, 12:56   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh like this post. 100% true!

It’s not in this thread alone, it’s a Man U fan’s mentality worldwide
I support Liverpool, but I have no qualms in admitting that I admire the ability of Sir Alex to get the best out of his players, and even better is the way he subtly bring in new blood, and discard the old guard (I feel Rio is next in line). Last weekend he showed his tactical acumen again by fielding a team to avoid defeat. And the result (as we all know) was in his favour!
+1 to both.

It's the same every were, in all football forums. ManU fans gloating and logic is always not important. Yes, they have in SAF one of the best coaches ever and they have dominated EPL. They also have one of the best commercial teams as well but guys common there are other good team on the planet.

They tend to forget it took them about 25 years to win one after the 66-67 First Division win. There are very few team which have dominated the sport (any) indefinitely. Yankees are one I can think of. Most of the teams are dominant for periods Montreal Canadiens (1952-1980 and they haven't won a Stanley cup in 18 years) and probably Real Madrid in Spain (for a different reason). So, yes you guys are winning but it won't last. It's al right to support your team passionately but be logical.

I have a friend, who is a Chelsea supporter for a long time. He sums it up this way. Most of ManU and Chelsea supporters are glory hunters. They would have been supporting a different team if that team was winning when they started watching the sport. Probably in a couple of years we will see similar ManC fans.

Just came across this article in Guardian on the competitiveness of top football Leagues, it's pretty good. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...premier-league

PS: I am a Liverpool supporter. Yes, I want us to win EPL but I understand we are a work in progress.

Last edited by AdityaLN : 20th October 2011 at 12:58.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:07   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
They would have been supporting a different team if that team was winning when they started watching the sport. Probably in a couple of years we will see similar ManC fans.
Spot on. You said it. The fan following for City will rapidly increase in a next couple of years.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:02   #1002
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I see a lot of gunners and scousers too!

Quote:
Its definitely not done always! If there is an incident to be pointed out, why not! dont other clubs' supporters do this as well?

Quote:
SAF is god! But he does go wrong!
I dont know where you are picking this up from and generalizing the opinion of united fans! references to some posts would help!

Quote:
You deserve it this time

Quote:
In my opinion:
AGREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post

I have a friend, who is a Chelsea supporter for a long time. He sums it up this way. Most of ManU and Chelsea supporters are glory hunters. They would have been supporting a different team if that team was winning when they started watching the sport. Probably in a couple of years we will see similar ManC fans.
You just cannot generalize that most of united fans are glory hunters! Yes, there are a lot of them who will have started following them, seeing them win a lot.
I started following them when arsenal were dominating with the invincibles. We had not won a trophy for a couple of years.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:23   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see club bashing and club praising going on passionately here, and it almost seems like MU against the rest of the world. I believe the success of a club, temporary or sustained, only depends on the management - owners and coach put together.

But more than the club, it is the league as a whole that tends to be interesting. I used to be a fan of La Liga in the 90s, but then the quality went for a toss. For me its the league as a whole that is built on a footballing culture of a place and therein lies the beauty. And so thats why there is hardly any footballing culture in Foul premier league...oops, English premier league compared to say, La Liga or Seria A - there is hardly any passion but has brilliant marketing. Lot of efficiency, but less brilliance and creativity in the mid field.

Success is different. Am not happy for any team winning if it doesn't give me happiness while watching. Apart from last years CL final, there has been hardly any match that stays in memory from the last 2-3 years.
Old 20th October 2011, 19:57   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
and it almost seems like MU against the rest of the world.
Actually its the other way. Rest of the world against MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Apart from last years CL final, there has been hardly any match that stays in memory from the last 2-3 years.
Really? Just to name a couple : Manchester derby 4-3, newcastle 4-4 arsenal, so many more!
Old 20th October 2011, 20:54   #1005
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised people expect "fans" to be rational!!!

I am a Man Utd fan, been once since 2002 when I started following football as I moved to the Netherlands for work. Before that I was in India (for 20 odd years) and had seen footy on tele maybe only a couple of times. It was only in 2002 around the time of WC I started following football, that too by accident. 4 of my colleagues at work and myself pooled in 150 euros and we got ourselves 6 teams each taht were in the tournament at that time. We bet on the teams and money was to be divided depending on teams performance (24% of the lot for the winner, 16% for runner-up, etc, even the worst loser was to get 4% of the pot!). It was mighty interesting, we followed the world cup fervently and got hooked to football. Been a footy fan ever since.

Now I didnt start loving united coz they were top team or winning things. I started following them because of one Ruud van Nistelrooj. Yet to see a better pure striker/predator in the box! I first became a RVN fan (he used to play for PSV Eindhoven who play in the famous Philips stadium. Would you believe at one point I lived just about 200 yards from the Philips stadium!!!) Anyway had Ruud moved to United in 2001 and since he was playing for United when I started following footy, I naturally started following United. Am hooked on to them ever since (even though Ruud has long gone.)

Now somebody talked about respect! I think there is more respect in hate in sports! Read it somewhere that at one point there was enormous amounts of rivalry and cold-heartedness between SAF and Arsene. That was when Arsenal were our title rivals. Nowdays, SAF sings about Arsene, defends him, even pities him! Point is, do Arsenal fans like this or they liked it earlier!!!

Once you are a title contender, there will be lot of haters. Thats nature. People are jealous of success more than appreciative of it. We know it the best are we are the most hated club in the world! Liverpool once were, in their haydays. I know that success wont last forever, but why not enjoy it till it lasts!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks