Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 15:13   #1216
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

I would like to pay tribute to some of the legends who retired from the most beautiful game this season.
1. Sir Alex Fergusson: The Daddy among all the manager's in contemporary world of football. Can David Moyes replace the irreplaceable ? Thank you Sir Alex.
The Football Thread-saf.jpg

2. Paul Scholes: The Ginger Assassin who is renowned for his pin-point lobs and bone crushing tackles retires for a second time. He was truly one of the best midfielder Britain has ever seen. Wishing you all the best, Scholes.
The Football Thread-scholes_1722211a.jpg

3. David Beckham: The reason why girls started watching football would have been him. This glamorous midfielder could curl the ball into the net from any angle. He also captained England football team for quite some time. End it like Beckam !
The Football Thread-becks.jpg

4. Micheal Owen: Owen was a terrific striker when we was at Mersey-side. He later moved on to Real Madrid and thus started his downfall from an extra-ordinary finisher to a frequent bench warmer. He also played for Manchester United. He ended his career at Stoke City. Thank you Owen !
The Football Thread-owen.jpg

5. Jamie Carragher: He was the backbone of Liverpool defense for years. He also played with John Terry in England's defense. He was the last man standing in many situation's and often won the battle against strikers. All the best, Carra !
The Football Thread-carra.jpg

6. Mark Van Bommel: This dutch midfielder started off his playing career at PSV Eindhoven. Later he moved to Barcelona, then to Bayern Munich and AC Milan before returning to PSV again. Good Luck MVB !
The Football Thread-_67572479_vanbommel_afp.jpg

These legends will be remembered and praised for a long long time.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:09   #1217
BHPian

Bayern Munich are crowned the Champions of Europe !

The Football Thread-bayernmunichchampionsleague.jpg

In an epic all german finals at Wembely. The Bavarian's defeated Borussia Dortmund 2-1 to clinch the Champions league 2013. Bayern Munich will become the treble winners if they defeat Stuttgart in the DFB Pokal finals on June 1st. Congrats to Bayern Munich !

(Mods: Sorry for Back to Back posts. The above two posts are different news.)
Old 1st July 2013, 04:48   #1218
BHPian

Is anyone watching the confederations cup final?

Brazil are pulling Spain apart with style that was missing till this game. Neymar is so lethal and on a hatrick.

It's unfair to everyone else that Barcelona will become even stronger with Neymar joining them.

Current Score Line: Brazil 3-0 Spain with a penalty miss by Ramos a while back.
Gods are with the samba people today at Rio.
Old 18th August 2013, 08:18   #1219
Team-BHP Support

BPL is back, and good start for Liverpool and ManU! The former almost looked like a new team with all the 2013 signings creating an impact – Mignolet, Aspas, Touré, Sturridge, and the wonderful Coutinho. And for United it looked like business as usual, picked up from where they left last season.

Arsenal fans should be very worried. A familiar pout from Mr. Wenger and no signs of any significant signings.
Old 18th August 2013, 21:04   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
BPL is back, and good start for Liverpool and ManU! The former almost looked like a new team with all the 2013 signings creating an impact – Mignolet, Aspas, Touré, Sturridge, and the wonderful Coutinho. And for United it looked like business as usual, picked up from where they left last season.

Arsenal fans should be very worried. A familiar pout from Mr. Wenger and no signs of any significant signings.
Yeah - a sad, sad start. All Arsenal fans are divided now - ArseneIN and ArseneOUT. I'm with the former but I really hope he signs someone soon. Its not looking good at all.
Old 18th August 2013, 23:30   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah - a sad, sad start. All Arsenal fans are divided now - ArseneIN and ArseneOUT. I'm with the former but I really hope he signs someone soon. Its not looking good at all.
come on, united lost the season opener last season and still comfortably won the title.

stick with wenger. there is no better coach available out there for your guys.

@vb-san so a distinguished member of this community now! Congrats. well deserved.

Last edited by joslicx : 18th August 2013 at 23:32.
Old 19th August 2013, 08:27   #1222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
@vb-san so a distinguished member of this community now! Congrats. well deserved.
Hey, thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
come on, united lost the season opener last season and still comfortably won the title.
stick with wenger. there is no better coach available out there for your guys.
I guess the trouble was with the hype they created with the big names they were chasing – Higuain, Suarez, Rooney etc. Either they should go full-on and get the player they want, or go about it quietly. Just one new signing (which came free) does not really show the intend to fight for trophies. Now Michu’s name is going around as Wenger’s target.
Old 20th August 2013, 20:27   #1223
BHPian

Hey, any place online where I can watch post weekend football highglights, preferably prolonged ones (~20 mins-ish)??

Footytube was my favourite last season, but I can't seem to watch EPL highlights from last weekend.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:19   #1224
Team-BHP Support

Two good games yesterday!

Good to see that David Moyes’ Anfield jinx is intact. That gave a perfect start for Liverpool’s season. They have not done this for many many years (winning the first 3 league games). For Sturridge its 3 out of 3 now.
Man U really need some reinforcements in the middle. RVP was not getting any supply from the midfield.

Not a fan of Arsenal or Spurs, but loved the pace of the game. An interesting clash between a club which spend NIL versus the big spender of the season (100+ million). I feel Spurs is already feeling the pinch of losing Bale.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:44   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Loved the London derby yesterday. The goal was fantastic! Mertesacker won the ball like this (http://i.imgur.com/xbFbUlk.gif) to start it all and it was a great touch by Giroud after a lot of movement and passing. Was nice to see Flamini back in the team.

I do hope AW adds some players to the team today. Hearing a lot of names, and I am going to keep my fingers and everything else crossed! We been here before! So, more than twice shy.

The first team when everyone available is not short on quality, but we are awfully short in numbers for some key areas for the long season.
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:33   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Holly! Wenger did spent. Welcome home Ozil! This is a coup. Hugely excited to watch him play.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:21   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Holly! Wenger did spent. Welcome home Ozil! This is a coup. Hugely excited to watch him play.
He did spend the money but really is Ozil what you guys need?

Ozil is world class and definitely better than any player in Gunners squad but I think you guys needed a better goal keeper, better center backs and a decent winger for a start! And yes, a world class center forward/striker as well before an attacking mid (as you already have a cracking one in cazorla)
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:38   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
He did spend the money but really is Ozil what you guys need?
Too early to tell man. I honestly don't know. But I think Wenger has a plan. Ozil is the king of assists in the world of football. Maybe Wenger' plan is to make Poldi and Theo strikers. I don't know. Remember, Cesc made even an average Adebayor look so good in 2008. Also, I guess we will have goals from all around the park.

I think our defense is pretty much fine with a good goal keeper. The defensive record was very good even last season. And we signed Viviano as the 3rd choice GK. Also, don't forget about Flamini who will add steel to midfield and protect the back four.

Wenger' biggest problem in the past few years have been spending money and attracting established targets. That's why I am very excited about Ozil.

Last edited by deetjohn : 3rd September 2013 at 08:39. Reason: typo.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:22   #1229
BHPian

Talking of transfers, did Utd manage to sign Fellaini? I can't seem to find any news confirming such. I know they failed to get Baines!

Its going to be tough for DM to lift Utd after a goalless last two matches! January window is his next hope now!
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:25   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Talking of transfers, did Utd manage to sign Fellaini? I can't seem to find any news confirming such. I know they failed to get Baines!

Its going to be tough for DM to lift Utd after a goalless last two matches! January window is his next hope now!
Fellaini signed for ManU in a GBP 27.5M deal.

Most Viewed