Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:30   #1321
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Seems like a lot of Arsenal fans here - well I am also one of them. I can relate to your feelings for Wenger but we have to face one thing - He will go at some point of time. We cannot remain attached to him and dream about our past.

Many teams have exposed our weakness (Liverpool, City and Chelsea) this season. Many people think the recent 1-1 draw with City was a sign of our better performance. I disagree - City were pretty laid back in my opinion. City could have easily replicated the strategy of other teams (i.e. intense pressing) but they did not partly because I think City took it easy seeing that Chelsea had lost their game. The exact nature of our dismal performance in the Chelsea and Liverpool match was depressing - there was no strategy change from our side even after seeing that we were falling apart.

We need to change things if we are even serious about winning anything - If Wenger can do that - then good - else I think it is time to look for some one else.
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:55   #1322
BHPian

Have been a football fan since I was a toddler, and accompanied my Dad to local Goan football games where he would end up talking in whispers when we reached home, with all the yelling and sideline coaching he did.

However I always thought nothing of the English teams, it was always European or South American football. Then sometime in 2003-04 I started watching the Premier League, only because ESPN was beaming games live. I was struck by this team called Arsenal, their fluid moves, the spotless passing, and finally the artistry of one Thierry Henry. I fell in love with Arsenal then, and through ups and downs have remained an Arsenal fan. This is in no small measure due to the philosophy of Wenger.

Even without cup wins in recent times, an Arsenal game always brings a sense of upliftment, it's always entertaining. When they lose heavily, as they have in this season, I don't despair. Genius football is like that, it will have wild swings. And as far as injuries go, there is something to be looked at in the Arsenal physio regimen. Get that sorted out and look out lads!
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:48   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Have been a football fan since I was a toddler, and accompanied my Dad to local Goan football games where he would end up talking in whispers when we reached home, with all the yelling and sideline coaching he did.

However I always thought nothing of the English teams, it was always European or South American football. Then sometime in 2003-04 I started watching the Premier League, only because ESPN was beaming games live. I was struck by this team called Arsenal, their fluid moves, the spotless passing, and finally the artistry of one Thierry Henry. I fell in love with Arsenal then, and through ups and downs have remained an Arsenal fan. This is in no small measure due to the philosophy of Wenger.

Even without cup wins in recent times, an Arsenal game always brings a sense of upliftment, it's always entertaining. When they lose heavily, as they have in this season, I don't despair. Genius football is like that, it will have wild swings. And as far as injuries go, there is something to be looked at in the Arsenal physio regimen. Get that sorted out and look out lads!
Wish I could click a "Thanks" button for that post. My dad is a big football fan too - my early days were spent playing with him after school - folks were posted in Nigeria. So we had access to amazing documentaries on VHS tapes and me and dad would watch em over and over again. It was always South American or European football then. Thats when I became a big fan of the Argentinian team - Maradona days. Then Brazil. Germany.

And again, it was dad who introduced me to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger. Though we'd support separate players in tennis or basketball - one team that united us in sporting spirit has been Arsenal. We still do a post match analysis though he's retired and in my hometown and I work in Bangalore.

Arsenal is a different team altogether. We haven't won anything in years but a Gooner always! COYG.

Shucks, that was an emotional post
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:52   #1324
BHPian

Do any of you guys see us winning a trophy anytime soon? Considering some of our recent performances, sometimes I doubt if we're Wembley-bound come May.
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:58   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
...Arsenal is a different team altogether. We haven't won anything in years but a Gooner always! COYG.Shucks, that was an emotional post
COYG! Emotional and eloquent. I fear that we will not see another Wenger for a long time. The overwhelming majority of ex-Arsenal players have always thought of Arsenal as their "home". Cesc was talking of coming back in an interview a few months ago, read this and it sums up what I'm trying to convey http://www.theguardian.com/football/...enal-barcelona.
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:57   #1326
Team-BHP Support

Liverpool fan here, but have always admired Arsene for what he's done for the Gunners over the years, sometimes with shoestring budgets because you guys were busy paying off the stadium costs (and rightly so), instead of spending yourself into crazy debt. A (rare) fiscally responsible club (an oxymoron in today's times), and Arsene groomed some very good talent that unfortunately went off elsewhere in their hunger for trophies (can't blame them either).

All that being said, Arsene does seem to be a hardliner w.r.t. his footballing philosophy and refuses to adapt to changing trends. Fluent football without the skill to retain/regain possession won't get you anywhere, at least not in the EPL where the game is getting increasingly physical these days. Arsene never really found a replacement for Vieira, and it's sometimes so terribly obvious that I feel sorry for the guy. For all the respect I have for him, I believe it's time for Arsene to either change or step aside because he's beginning to hamper the team's progress.
Old 4th April 2014, 15:36   #1327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Liverpool fan here, but have always admired Arsene for what he's done for the Gunners over the years, sometimes with shoestring budgets because you guys were busy paying off the stadium costs (and rightly so), instead of spending yourself into crazy debt. A (rare) fiscally responsible club (an oxymoron in today's times), and Arsene groomed some very good talent that unfortunately went off elsewhere in their hunger for trophies (can't blame them either).
All that being said, Arsene does seem to be a hardliner w.r.t. his footballing philosophy and refuses to adapt to changing trends. Fluent football without the skill to retain/regain possession won't get you anywhere, at least not in the EPL where the game is getting increasingly physical these days. Arsene never really found a replacement for Vieira, and it's sometimes so terribly obvious that I feel sorry for the guy. For all the respect I have for him, I believe it's time for Arsene to either change or step aside because he's beginning to hamper the team's progress.
Even though Wenger’s 2nd half of those 1000 odd games did not bring in any trophies, Arsenal is thriving well on football as a business. Not ideal for their fans, but good for the head honchos I guess. Interesting to see if Everton will catch up on the weekend.

Fingers crossed for Liverpool’s final 6 games. More than the big games with City and Chelsea, I am worried about games with the likes West Ham and Crystal Palace. There is a bit of lax when it comes to preparing for the smaller clubs.
Old 4th April 2014, 17:18   #1328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even though Wenger’s 2nd half of those 1000 odd games did not bring in any trophies, Arsenal is thriving well on football as a business. Not ideal for their fans, but good for the head honchos I guess. Interesting to see if Everton will catch up on the weekend.
No doubt. They've been fiscally responsible and still reasonably successful - both on & off the pitch - which can't be said for most clubs these days.

Quote:
Fingers crossed for Liverpool’s final 6 games. More than the big games with City and Chelsea, I am worried about games with the likes West Ham and Crystal Palace. There is a bit of lax when it comes to preparing for the smaller clubs.
That's where I believe the approach has slowly changed with Brendan Rodgers in charge. With Rafa in the mid-2000s, one was almost guaranteed a good performance in the big games, but the ruthlessness was missing when playing the smaller - but sometimes more difficult to break down - teams. We seem to have gotten over that lethargy. My biggest concern is our back four. Some of the defending is so horrible, calling it 'schoolboy' is an insult. To the schoolboys.

As much as we have the firepower to outscore most opposition right now, we cannot compete in Europe next year with this level of defending.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2014 at 17:28.
Old 4th April 2014, 18:02   #1329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That's where I believe the approach has slowly changed with Brendan Rodgers in charge. With Rafa in the mid-2000s, one was almost guaranteed a good performance in the big games, but the ruthlessness was missing when playing the smaller - but sometimes more difficult to break down - teams. We seem to have gotten over that lethargy. My biggest concern is our back four. Some of the defending is so horrible, calling it 'schoolboy' is an insult. To the schoolboys.

As much as we have the firepower to outscore most opposition right now, we cannot compete in Europe next year with this level of defending.
There is improvement for sure. But that complete demolition aspect displayed against the likes of Man U and Spurs recently was missing against teams like Cardiff and Sunderland. Especially the last 15 mins against the latter was quite nervy

About defending - the two tattoo men can be brilliant to mediocre or even comical in a matter of few minutes
Old 4th April 2014, 18:20   #1330
BHPian

Thought I'd drop by and see whats cooking in this thread as the season comes to a close, and its the gunners in discussion. Hmm, this calls for an Arsenal Fans Team-bhp meet!

1998 was the year i went to UK for my studies. Luck favored and i got admission in Kent. The 1st thing i did was buy myself a ticket for a Canterbury FC football match. The next was Southampton's. As all this was going on , Arsenal does the double in 1998. Never got a chance to experience a match in Highbury, but did watch a pre-season practice session following season '98. I still cannot describe to this day, what i felt and how I became addicted to following Arsenal since then.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 4th April 2014 at 18:33.
Old 6th April 2014, 20:13   #1331
BHPian

New striker, CDM, and an extra defender next season. Winning the FA Cup is the only way Wenger will be allowed to stay.. Pathetic performance!
Old 6th April 2014, 22:33   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
New striker, CDM, and an extra defender next season. Winning the FA Cup is the only way Wenger will be allowed to stay.. Pathetic performance!
I do not think that will help buddy. I think it is Wenger who needs to change. There was absolutely no tactics from his side. Arsenal looked clueless on the field. I would not at all blame our injured players for such a form. Yes - the players also were at fault at some level but I feel Wenger needs to do something now.

I am worried because Arsenal players look tired and out of confidence on the field. Seems like the remaining matches will be very tough.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:22   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You should be worried about that big City game! The winner of that will clinch the league methinks. For that one game I shall support City
Old 7th April 2014, 08:50   #1334
Team-BHP Support

Well, the WHU-LIV game panned out in the way I expected – very nervy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You should be worried about that big City game! The winner of that will clinch the league methinks. For that one game I shall support City
City game should be a blockbuster, and I expect both teams to go for it from the first minute. But that said, it’s so outrageous for a Man U fan to support the blue half
Old 7th April 2014, 12:34   #1335
Team-BHP Support

West Ham away was never going to be easy, and Andy Carroll sure showed he's still miffed Brendan let him go. The cheating git. I was actually appreciative of the hammers until that point, for blunting Liverpool's strikers out. But I guess one can't take the high horse these days over such matters, because all of these overpaid prima-donnas will cheat any chance they get (including some in my own team).

On to City then. That one can possibly decide the title (though I won't discount a possible dodgy away trip to Selhurst Park just yet). If Aguero plays, this one can turn into a 'we can score more than you' goal-fest.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2014 at 12:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks