Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:02   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

I am pleased with the signing of Welbeck. He puts in a shift each match and can play upfront, so a like to like replacement for Giroud but much faster. The goals can come from midfield. I read Falcao is at £345,000 per week and that's a ridiculous amount of money. Wonder where football is going.

What I am worried about is the lack of new names at the back and middle. We never replaced Vermaelen and have only 6 defenders including the young Chambers there in the team now. That's 6 players to cover 4 positions for the League campaign, Capital One Cup, FA Cup and the Champions League. I have seen Wenger taking risks before, but I cannot come to terms with this any which way I look at it.

And also a DM with physical presence in the middle was much needed for the balance of the squad. Anyways, lets see how it goes.
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:00   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I read Falcao is at £345,000 per week and that's a ridiculous amount of money. Wonder where football is going.
Theres all sorts of figures in British press - from 180k to 345k. I guess the most reliable sources mentioned around 200k per week.

Manchester United are having to throw money as they simply have no other choice! It is absolutely imperative to return to Champions League football (which guarantees you 50m+ per season and top players. I think we lost Fabregas & Vidal because of lack of CL football.) The huge shirt deal we've recently signed with Adidas has riders that if we are not playing in CL then there are huge penalties. Otherwise also there are real dangers of making failures a habit. Also there was lot of neglect in previous windows and that had to be accounted for one day!

For now at least us United fans are happy and excited. New manager and totally new look team. Lots of dross chucked out. Absolute world class additions upfront in Falcao and Di Maria; The reigning Dutch player of the year (Blind) should add bite in the midfield (he'll play anchor role, much better than having to see Fletcher laboring); Rojo was in WC team of the tournament so he should be an improvement once he comes. The only downside - Young and Cleverly are still around
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:13   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Absolute world class additions upfront in Falcao and Di Maria; The reigning Dutch player of the year (Blind) should add bite in the midfield (he'll play anchor role, much better than having to see Fletcher laboring); Rojo was in WC team of the tournament so he should be an improvement once he comes. The only downside - Young and Cleverly are still around
Blind looks to be a key piece in the LVG puzzle. I guess Fletcher and even Mata may feature less in the regular first team. And has Rojo's work-permit issue sorted out?

Man U indeed look like a new team now!
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:29   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess Fletcher and even Mata may feature less in the regular first team. And has Rojo's work-permit issue sorted out?

Man U indeed look like a new team now!
Fletcher might well play a whole lot less now, but I hope Mata gets a lot of playing time. I like the little Spaniard, he's very intelligent and mobile. Think of a team like this. Defence be damned, going forward they will be fantastic.

Rojo's work-permit issue is put down to some issues regarding an altercation he had back in Argentina at some point. No idea where he stands on that, hope it is/gets sorted out.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:59   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Man Utd Transfers Out:
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra
Nani
Giggs
Chicharito
Kagawa
Zaha
Bebe
Henriquez
Macheda
Buttner
Powell
Welbeck
Lawrence
Keane

Players In:
Herrera
Shaw
Rojo
Di Maria
Blind
Falcao

Real statement of intent.

Somebody posted this formation (this was before Welbeck's transfer)

Last edited by joslicx : 2nd September 2014 at 20:01.
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:17   #1446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Man Utd Transfers Out:
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra
Nani
Giggs
Chicharito
Kagawa
Zaha
Bebe
Henriquez
Macheda
Buttner
Powell
Welbeck
Lawrence
Keane
Long list! Add Cleverly also - on loan to A. Villa
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:20   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

A great game against the high flying Villa. If I could have chosen the goalscorers this weekend, Ozil and Welbeck would have been it. And each created the goal for other as well. Two guys who badly needed it. And total control in the second half. It was perfect.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:08   #1448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.
Extraordinary weekend, but a perfect one only for Arsenal

The best of the lot was Lampard scoring against Chelsea. And Mou's post-match reaction was priceless - as if Lampard committed a crime!
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:26   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The best of the lot was Lampard scoring against Chelsea.
I saw this rather hilarious and very apt comment on Guardian under five talking points for the ManC - Chelski match.

1 - Drive bus
2 - Park bus
3 - Lock bus
4 - Score on counter
5 - Forget ex-player has spare key

Old 23rd October 2014, 00:53   #1450
BHPian

Real Madrid are running loops around Liverpool. CR7 is in the form of his life.
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:15   #1451
Team-BHP Support

After what happened in the first 30-odd mins, Liverpool were lucky to escape with only three on the board. Real never really kicked into gear in the second half except a few good runs by Marcelo down the left, which made the final score 'look' respectable, but it's fooling nobody. Real could've easily gone into double digits if they really pushed for 90 mins.

As much as I expect Balotelli to get better, I'm beginning to think it was a bad signing. He just doesn't have the work rate. Lallana combined better with Sterling in the second half. Mignolet has shown himself lacking in critical decision-making on multiple occasions now, I still can't fathom why we let Reina leave. Liverpool needs a defensive overhaul, including a world-class keeper.

Last season is looking more and more like a painful fluke with each game.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:26   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Dear Liverpool and Arsenal fans

As a Man Utd fan I can totally understand your plight. Please do not despair and wait for #AccheDin

By the way, what a topsy turvy season it has been! Look at how many powerhouses at the middle of the table!!!
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:39   #1453
Team-BHP Support

^^ Haha... so true. We're doing a Man U now, and actually trying to better at the free slide. Should try playing without a striker next weekend
Old 26th November 2014, 17:02   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Liverpool and Arsenal fans

As a Man Utd fan I can totally understand your plight. Please do not despair and wait for #AccheDin

By the way, what a topsy turvy season it has been! Look at how many powerhouses at the middle of the table!!!
Have been a long-term Arsenal fan and that automatically qualifies you to be and Arsene Wenger fan. While Arsenal have always been the Bridesmaid team, never accomplishing what the Big Boys won, yet they played attractive football, almost nostalgic. So you used to sympathize or find an excuse even in defeats. But it seems that now team is playing neither gritty football nor attractive and getting beaten badly by clubs like Dortmund. So almost after 2 decades I think Arsene Wenger's time is over. As pointed out by several pundits, if Arsenal has to win any silverware Wenger must go. he has become a liability like Big Phil was for Brazil. He is just devoid of fresh ideas(maybe football has evolved to a newer level), always looks for lame excuses like injuries, refereeing etc. and not even creative in team selection and shape.

Go for it Gunners, get a new coach.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:36   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
Have been a long-term Arsenal fan and that automatically qualifies you to be and Arsene Wenger fan. While Arsenal have always been the Bridesmaid team, never accomplishing what the Big Boys won, yet they played attractive football, almost nostalgic. So you used to sympathize or find an excuse even in defeats. But it seems that now team is playing neither gritty football nor attractive and getting beaten badly by clubs like Dortmund. So almost after 2 decades I think Arsene Wenger's time is over. As pointed out by several pundits, if Arsenal has to win any silverware Wenger must go. he has become a liability like Big Phil was for Brazil. He is just devoid of fresh ideas(maybe football has evolved to a newer level), always looks for lame excuses like injuries, refereeing etc. and not even creative in team selection and shape.

Go for it Gunners, get a new coach.
Be careful what you ask for! There arent many world class coaches without work. Who do you replace Wenger with? And what is the guarantee of success (unless the name is Mourinho and a carte blanche in his pocket)

If I were an Arsenal fan I wouldnt wish for Arsene's removal. If only board had supported him a few years back or even last year with Suarez. I think all Arsenal need is a real world class striker to lead the line (you need a couple I think. Giroud is at best a backup) The secret to SAF's winning the league all the time was our attack - just look at the names - Andy Cole, Yorke, Rooney, RVN, Ronaldo, RVP. With attack he just never compromised. Its another matter he hardly knew how to buy a half-decent midfielder (not just buy, even appreciate, given the way he drove out a talent like Pogba!!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks