Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 18:19   #1456
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Be careful what you ask for! There arent many world class coaches without work. Who do you replace Wenger with? And what is the guarantee of success (unless the name is Mourinho and a carte blanche in his pocket)

If I were an Arsenal fan I wouldnt wish for Arsene's removal. If only board had supported him a few years back or even last year with Suarez. I think all Arsenal need is a real world class striker to lead the line (you need a couple I think. Giroud is at best a backup) The secret to SAF's winning the league all the time was our attack - just look at the names - Andy Cole, Yorke, Rooney, RVN, Ronaldo, RVP. With attack he just never compromised. Its another matter he hardly knew how to buy a half-decent midfielder (not just buy, even appreciate, given the way he drove out a talent like Pogba!!)
Hi Joslicx, Although you contradicted my thoughts, yet on a broader level I kind of agree with you. Who do you replace Wenger with? Not very many options if we consider lineage both AW's and Arsenal's. However, if you look at the results for the last few years, very objectively Arsenal has just been mediocre. Quarter finals in CL, 3-4th in EPL, solitary FA cup and losses to much smaller clubs. Hence, with the quality of players they have can they perform any worse, possibly not? Why a replacement is needed because fresh mind and approach is needed. the club needs to regain its position as the global leader. So whether it is Jurgen Klopp or Didier Deschamps or any talented Manager in non-descript leagues such as Japan/Saudi/US would do. Didn't Liverpool gained the spark after the hire of Brendon Rodgers. After all he was not a star coach of some blue-eyed club.

So as the banners say "Thanks for the memories professor. But its time to say goodbye"
Old 8th December 2014, 18:39   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
Have been a long-term Arsenal fan and that automatically qualifies you to be and Arsene Wenger fan. While Arsenal have always been the Bridesmaid team, never accomplishing what the Big Boys won, yet they played attractive football, almost nostalgic. So you used to sympathize or find an excuse even in defeats. But it seems that now team is playing neither gritty football nor attractive and getting beaten badly by clubs like Dortmund. So almost after 2 decades I think Arsene Wenger's time is over. As pointed out by several pundits, if Arsenal has to win any silverware Wenger must go. he has become a liability like Big Phil was for Brazil. He is just devoid of fresh ideas(maybe football has evolved to a newer level), always looks for lame excuses like injuries, refereeing etc. and not even creative in team selection and shape.

Go for it Gunners, get a new coach.
Yeah I don't see a replacement for Wenger in the near future. Yes, it has been frustrating but maybe this transfer window will change some things. I abhor the recent "banner displays" and booing of Wenger. He's done too much for us to berate him so badly.
Old 11th February 2015, 18:42   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah I don't see a replacement for Wenger in the near future. Yes, it has been frustrating but maybe this transfer window will change some things. I abhor the recent "banner displays" and booing of Wenger. He's done too much for us to berate him so badly.
The ideal person to be at the helm of Arsenal after Wenger would be Jurgen Klopp. It's certain that if BVB don't make it to Europa League qualification spots this season, he will be leaving the club. He has also expressed interest in coaching in the Premier League and I don't see any reason for him to ply his trade at the Emirates Stadium.

As for the 'banner displays', they were probably paid trolls.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:34   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Ah this thread has gone too quiet for a loong time. Must be the Cricket world cup fever going around too.

Alas, Arsenal out of the race for the UEFA trophy. But they played well. And the match against ManU was my favourite this season!!

So this time also, Arsenal take the FA Cup?

Last edited by naveenroy : 19th March 2015 at 20:36.
Old 19th March 2015, 21:51   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
So this time also, Arsenal take the FA Cup?
Likely.

Nevertheless, a major upheaval is needed at the Emirates. With more and more people demanding Wenger's sacking, I feel it's perhaps best if he bows our respectfully after winning the FA Cup.

As for the squad, they need major reinforcements in their defence!
Old 31st March 2015, 19:53   #1461
Senior - BHPian

So an Arsenal Liverpool match this weekend. Looking forward to it. If only Crystal Palace can beat ManC, then we will go to 2nd place!
Old 31st March 2015, 19:58   #1462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So an Arsenal Liverpool match this weekend. Looking forward to it. If only Crystal Palace can beat ManC, then we will go to 2nd place!
I'm not very confident after Skrtel got banned. No confidence in Toure or Sakho in defense. This can actually get into an 'outscore the opposition' situation like it was most of last season with Liverpool, but then a certain 'cannibal' is no longer playing for the Reds. Gerrard could've been useful, but he sure picks his moments to have his brain-farts.

It's probably bye-bye CL football for next season.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2015 at 19:59.
Old 31st March 2015, 20:14   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm not very confident after Skrtel got banned. No confidence in Toure or Sakho in defense. This can actually get into an 'outscore the opposition' situation like it was most of last season with Liverpool, but then a certain 'cannibal' is no longer playing for the Reds. Gerrard could've been useful, but he sure picks his moments to have his brain-farts.

It's probably bye-bye CL football for next season.
Yeah Gerrard - a guy many football fans have immense respect for. But it was certainly an insane moment for him. Snapped there. Oh well, I just hope we play some good football and win against Liverpool.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:39   #1464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only if you win against Liverpool
Old 4th April 2015, 19:15   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Woohoo. What a game. Classy goals. All 4 of them oozed of class! And right at this moment, 2nd in the table. I just love it when Arsenal are on song.
Old 4th April 2015, 21:04   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Woohoo. What a game. Classy goals. All 4 of them oozed of class! And right at this moment, 2nd in the table. I just love it when Arsenal are on song.
Rightly said.. Ozil was sublime in this match! . Arsenal were in full flow today.

I think liverpool struggled in defence and also Mignolet in between sticks doesnt inspire confidence. But me being a man united fan I am feeling good for liverpool losing today.

Watching the Man united vs Aston villa. Its 1-0 for Man U and the match has entered second half. Lets see how the match goes.
Old 13th April 2015, 15:45   #1467
BHPian

Now, that is what you call a derby. Good show by United after being completely dominated for the first 10 minutes of play.

The race for positions 2, 3 and 4 is ON!!!
Old 13th April 2015, 16:32   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Arsenal win. But otherwise bad weekend. Was hoping Chelsea would actually draw and of all the people to score - it had to be that fellow.

Wanted a draw in the ManU vs ManC match - that also sadly ended in ManU winning.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:55   #1469
Team-BHP Support

Sterling to Man. City - 49 million pounds for a player with just one Ok season!
Excellent deal for Liverpool, and hope it will be re-invested wisely. And City gets another English bench-warmer.

Anyone following the transfer deals?
Barring Chelsea, I can see that almost all of the top BPL teams will have a new look
Old 13th July 2015, 08:31   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sterling to Man. City - 49 million pounds for a player with just one Ok season!
Excellent deal for Liverpool, and hope it will be re-invested wisely. And City gets another English bench-warmer.

Anyone following the transfer deals?
Barring Chelsea, I can see that almost all of the top BPL teams will have a new look
Yeah Liverpool made some good money there. Would like to see them play well.

Cech for Arsenal. Honestly, I am not excited about it. Don't see the big deal about it.

RvP could have become a legend. Now, he will fade into obscurity. Small minds.

Most Viewed