Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 23:02   #1996
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Football Thread

La Liga final day is thrill-a-minute. Atletico equalize against Valladolid while Real are having theirs against Villareal checked for offside. Ruled out.

And Suarez has just put Atletico ahead. Bonkers!

Edit: Real score two in the last 5 mins or so to win their game, but Atletico hold on to be Champions.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd May 2021 at 23:25.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 23:26   #1997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
La Liga final day is thrill-a-minute. Atletico equalize against Valladolid while Real are having theirs against Villareal checked for offside. Ruled out.

And Suarez has just put Atletico ahead. Bonkers!

Edit: Real score two in the last 5 mins or so, but Atletico hold on to be Champions.
Couldn’t agree more with you.. my bet is on Simeone having the last laugh tonight.
Old 24th May 2021, 12:11   #1998
Team-BHP Support

Lille have pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title on the final day. Some good football stories coming out of a difficult year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57224119

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th May 2021 at 12:14.
Old 24th May 2021, 13:02   #1999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lille have pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title on the final day. Some good football stories coming out of a difficult year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57224119
Atléti, Lille, Inter, its all good stories in the otherwise dull pandemic-laden season. And seeing how downhill Liverpool was going, that 3rd place finish almost felt like a title!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:37   #2000
BHPian

It was a crazy final day of EPL. Thanks to tottenham for making chelsea qualify. Looking forward to UCL final but if chelsea continue playing the same way then i am afraid Mancity will tear them apart.
Old 30th May 2021, 02:35   #2001
Team-BHP Support

Take a bow Chelsea!

Written off by all the pundits, 'full-strength City will roll them over'. Form, and sometimes even pedigree, mean nothing in a one-off game.

N'Golo Kanté and Reece James, what a game for both.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th May 2021 at 02:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 08:23   #2002
BHPian

I watched the full game and except for that last minute (half?) chance from Mehrez, City was completely outfoxed by Chelsea players (and Tuchel’s strategy?).
To begin with, Pep made a blunder with his team selection. Sterling never got better of James, Gundagon/Silva/Mehrez were never in the game (because of Pep’s game plan?), De Bruyne had an ‘off’ game before he got injured, Foden was out of his normal position most of the time and then finally defenders were caught by brilliant run by Chelsea forwards.
Throughout 90 minutes, I never got an impression that City is going to score a goal and make a comeback.
It was difficult to see Aguero (and some other City players) in tears at the end.
Tuchel got better to Pep in all the 3 matches. Pep can be excused for his defeat in FA cup tie as he played with a B team. But there can be no excuses for the defeat in this match.

Note: I am Chelsea supporter since Roman took over this club, but I do love watching City matches when they play their ‘normal’ game.
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 08:25   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Take a bow Chelsea!

Written off by all the pundits, 'full-strength City will roll them over'. Form, and sometimes even pedigree, mean nothing in a one-off game.

N'Golo Kanté and Reece James, what a game for both.
Well said.

Parallels between 2012 and 2021 - changing managers midway through the season and being underdogs all the way. But credit to Tuchel and the team for pulling this out.
ask_017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 08:47   #2004
Distinguished - BHPian

June is here and so the Euro 2020 is starting tonight and the Copa America in some days too. Finally, hoping some good football and something to cheer for in these dreadful times. France looks the best bet but one can’t be sure since they are clubbed with Germany, Portugal and Hungary in the initial stages !!

Some cracking league matches to look forward and all eyes on Group F matches
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:09   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Well said.

Parallels between 2012 and 2021 - changing managers midway through the season and being underdogs all the way. But credit to Tuchel and the team for pulling this out.
True but this time you can say it was deserved as we won our games without only relying on luck. Future looks good.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:41   #2006
BHPian

I have been away from Indias sporting arena for more than a decade and reminds of missing something for unknown reasons.
What happened to those famous Football teams like
Mohan Bagan, Mohammadan Sporting, East Bengal (or something similar), BSF, Punjab Police, JCT Phagwara, Dempo Club Goa and maybe some more off my memory ?
Have not heard any of these in action now or Cricket has caused their extinction ?

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 11th June 2021 at 10:42.
Old 11th June 2021, 11:15   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Mohan Bagan, East Bengal.
Mohan Bagan and East Bengal currently play in the ISL. They joined the league this year.

Mohan Bagan has merged with another club to for ATK Mohan Bagan.

While SC East Bengal is managed by Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.

I don't know about the others though.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:31   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
June is here and so the Euro 2020 is starting tonight and the Copa America in some days too. Finally, hoping some good football and something to cheer for in these dreadful times. France looks the best bet but one can’t be sure since they are clubbed with Germany, Portugal and Hungary in the initial stages !!

Some cracking league matches to look forward and all eyes on Group F matches
France looks good. Germany seems to be on shaky ground. Portugal has a very balanced squad on paper. I predict France and Portugal to meet again in the semifinal.
Old 11th June 2021, 18:55   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
France looks good. Germany seems to be on shaky ground. Portugal has a very balanced squad on paper. I predict France and Portugal to meet again in the semifinal.
How is England team? Is it good?
Old 11th June 2021, 20:32   #2010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I have been away from Indias sporting arena for more than a decade and reminds of missing something for unknown reasons.
Mohan Bagan, Mohammadan Sporting, East Bengal (or something similar), BSF, Punjab Police, JCT Phagwara, Dempo Club Goa and maybe some more off my memory ?
Have not heard any of these in action now or Cricket has caused their extinction ?
Mohan bagan and East Bengal have just managed to find space in the ISL last year. ATK merged with Mohan bagan to form a new entity named ATK- Mohanbagan and East Bengal also managed to find a new sponsor to stay afloat.

Dempo Sports Club and Churchill Brother’s from Goa have been disbanded and so has JCT Phagwara and Punjab Police. The glory days of Durand Cup and Federation Cup are gone and these wonderful clubs didn’t have enough sponsorship to sustain a team to compete in a professional league like the I-League over sustained period although JCT won the league twice !! Sad truth but fact is football was never looked after in India at all. The recent infusion of corporate money in the ISL is a glimmer of hope but I still don’t see much to cheer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Bold prediction since I still see Group F throwing some surprises. Let’s see how Poland and Italy shape up as the tournament progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
How is England team? Is it good?
England are perennial underachievers on the world stage. It’s beyond me, how a country with such thriving league and wonderful players over the years, are yet to achieve something substantial !! Can only hope that this year turns out to be different though I don’t see them reaching the last four.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 11th June 2021 at 20:35.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks