Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 11:42   #2071
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

I got to watching football again after a couple of years now. Took a Sony Liv subscription just yesterday.

Question: Why was extra-time not given in today's Copa America Arg vs Col match today ?
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 11:56   #2072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I got to watching football again after a couple of years now. Took a Sony Liv subscription just yesterday.

Question: Why was extra-time not given in today's Copa America Arg vs Col match today ?
Copa America this time has reverted back to the rules they followed in 2015. So, no extra time till the finals and after regulation time, if the teams are tied, the game will be decided by penalties.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 7th July 2021 at 11:58.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 01:03   #2073
Team-BHP Support

England need to do what they haven't done this tournament: come from behind.

Mikkel Damsgaard scores an absolute peach for the tournament's first goal from a direct free kick.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 03:56   #2074
Team-BHP Support

I wanted Denmark to win. Sadly, that didn't happen. Schmeichel was extremely unlucky, and i feel sorry for him.

Personally, i find Kane to overact, and overhyped. Takes a dive at the slightest contact and sadly for the Danish players, they kept giving away freekicks.

Sterling is awesome, and IMHO, he is the one who has brought England this far.
benbsb29 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 08:15   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I wanted Denmark to win. Sadly, that didn't happen. Schmeichel was extremely unlucky, and i feel sorry for him.

Personally, i find Kane to overact, and overhyped. Takes a dive at the slightest contact and sadly for the Danish players, they kept giving away freekicks.

It was Sterling who took that dive in the match vs Denmark.
Old 8th July 2021, 09:02   #2076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
It was Sterling who took that dive in the match vs Denmark.
Yup, debatable on the contact involved on that dive.

I was referring more to his skills down the flank, and center - creating spaces by weaving between defenders and his pace.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:12   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

+1. Too much noise around England and Kane as always. Sterling is the man to watch out for.

Great weekend for football

England vs Italy
Brazil vs Argentina

Last edited by C300 : 8th July 2021 at 10:14.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:38   #2078
Team-BHP Support

I have always been a passive England supporter since I used to follow the EPL when I was younger, and EPL had the best players playing

Happy with the England win, now let's hope they can get past the Italians but the probability of that happening looks bleak.
Old 11th July 2021, 08:37   #2079
Distinguished - BHPian

Big day for all the Messi fans like me. I travelled across continents, stayed up many nights, suffered many of his agonising defeats through out his footballing career so I won't miss a major milestone in his career. Almost resigned to accept that his career would end without him winning something for his country. It was a dull match and Messi hardly made his presence felt but it was the perfect homage with Di Maria scoring the winning goal and the entire team doing it all by themselves.

Last edited by androdev : 11th July 2021 at 08:38.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 13:51   #2080
BHPian

And that is it. The GOAT debate is officially over. The only thing remaining in Messi's cabinet was an international trophy, and now he is the one.
Messiah .

I don't think we will see a player like him ever again, atleast not for another couple of decades.

P.S. if only Italy could lift the euros as well, I have been a frustrated Italy supporter for a good part of this decade now. .

Last edited by SaiSW : 11th July 2021 at 14:04.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:49   #2081
Senior - BHPian

A Tendulkaresque ending, if I may use the term. Tendulkar also won the world cup at the fag end of his career.
Messi was/is the GOAT even without this trophy but it does mark a successful ending to his career. Really happy for him. Totally deserved it.

Last edited by joslicx : 11th July 2021 at 16:50.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 17:08   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A Tendulkaresque ending, if I may use the term.
Can we say 'almost', if not the same? Tendulkar won the world cup (even if the top cricket playing nation count is too less when compared to soccer) whereas Messi won the equivalent of Asia cup in cricket?
I agree that Messi has suffered so many heartbreaks in the major tournaments (2 Copa finals and 1 world cup final losses) that the least he deserves is this Copa cup. So, I am very happy for him. I wish he competes in next year world cup and ARG wins the final (may be, I am dreaming too much?).
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:44   #2083
Distinguished - BHPian

It was good to see that Messi and company finally getting some silverware to show for their efforts. The man has almost single handedly carried the Argentina team for a decade and it finally culminated in some trophy. Although Copa America is a continental cup, it still means something for the nations fighting for it.

Latin American football has lost its flair long back and today’s final was unworthy of a final between two of the major countries of football with lacklustre display from both the teams. It would be interesting to see both the teams in the World Cup next year and how they fare against the Europeans. As an admirer of Argentine football and Lionel Messi, it would be fantastic if they can play good enough to lift the world title. Oh and by the way, talking of Europeans, tonight’s Euro Cup final should be exciting only if Italy gets back the flair it showed early in the tournament or else, we will be watching another drab final !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 11th July 2021 at 21:05.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 03:30   #2084
Team-BHP Support

So, so cruel on a 19-year old to miss the decisive kick.

Italy deserved it on the balance of the tournament, winning multiple ways as the situation demanded, really missing the injured Spinnazola on the left deep in the knockout stages. Old guard at the back, too old they said. A liability, they said. Solid as a rock, still world class.

England didn't really push home their early advantage tonight. Kane pretty anonymous except the pass out wide to Trippier to setup the opener, and ref Kuipers was having none of Sterling's antics.

England finally have something they haven't had for a long time. A cohesive team and optimism. Their time will come.

What a tournament.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th July 2021 at 03:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 03:35   #2085
BHPian

Two subs brought on specially for penalties, both missing subsequently. They didn't even get to play 5 mins before penalties. Poor management.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks