Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 12:15   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Staying on the Barca theme- just watched the Figo documentary that's on Netflix now. Was a good roundup of the background, buildup, behind the scenes plots, and aftermath of Luis Figo's move from Barca to Madrid.

I knew it was a big deal back then because of the whole Madrid-Catalonia issue, but didn't know a lot of the other things that were going around to finally seal the deal. Without giving away the story line (which is all accessible by google anyway) one thing that is obvious is that Figo always intended to make the move and it was about the money. Which is fine IMHO- he was just a guy switching jobs, something a lot of us have done several times. But I was astonished at how intense the reaction was, so much so that even over 20 years later, several of the parties involved (Figo included) seem to feel the need to justify their actions or present their version of the truth!

Addendum: Another image that stayed with me after watching the documentary was of Pep, what a gentleman he comes across as with his interviews in the documentary- plain speaking, good-natured, especially after hearing of the machinations from all the other people involved.

Last edited by am1m : 9th September 2022 at 12:31.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:30   #2192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Staying on the Barca theme- just watched the Figo documentary that's on Netflix now. Was a good roundup of the background, buildup, behind the scenes plots, and aftermath of Luis Figo's move from Barca to Madrid.
The FIGO AFFAIR was an interesting watch. We always had the reporter’s version through the newspapers back in those days. Although I felt that the documentary tried very hard to justify the move when all it conveyed to the audience that it was more about money than the respect that Figo wanted from Barcelona. I liked the version of Perez though- he clearly wanted Figo and that 30M penalty clause perhaps helped him in finally bagging him.

Every big ticket transfer in football is more about money then anything else. Not everyone is a Maldini or a Baresi or for that matter Totti !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:16   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it too early to start getting excited about the World Cup?! For some reason, am getting really 'kicked' about the tournament this year. Haven't been following national team performances at all, and even club football only sparingly, but seems to be there is no clear favorite this time, is that true?

Objectively, what are Argentina's chances? (I'm a fan so I always think they have a chance!)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 11:02   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Is it too early to start getting excited about the World Cup?! For some reason, am getting really 'kicked' about the tournament this year. Haven't been following national team performances at all, and even club football only sparingly, but seems to be there is no clear favorite this time, is that true?

Objectively, what are Argentina's chances? (I'm a fan so I always think they have a chance!)
I have been a hard-core fan of ARG since 86 world cup. Since then, I have been following results from major tournaments (WC, EURO, Copa America), and club football from top 5 European leagues.
Till 2002, European and SA teams were neck-and-neck when it comes to winning the WC. But since then, it has been European countries who have won. So, I am desperately waiting for some non-European countries to win the WC this year.
I feel that BRA are slightly fav this year. But I also feel that this WC could be most open and any of the top 10 teams can win it.
My favorite teams are ARG, BRA, NED and then any of the African country. I just hate ENG, FRA and ITA.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 11:24   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While in absolute terms, all the usual suspects are having great teams, ARG has seen the biggest improvement in team quality compared to their mediocre 2018 show. They have been having a great run in the recent past hence there is more hype around ARG. This being Messi's last world cup and given the fan frenzy - the expectations are very high. However WC is usually very difficult to predict and this time there are many strong teams making it even more difficult. I am hoping for a good South American show. It would be incredible if Messi wins but want to keep my expectations low after the scars of 2014 final.

Attending the WC in person is not going to be great through. Everyone believes corruption played a big role in awarding Qatar to host the WC. It's a very small city without the necessary infrastructure to host such a big event and there is nothing for visiting fans to do in such a small country with weird rules and hostile weather.

I'm trying my luck nevertheless :-)

Name:  fifa.png
Views: 179
Size:  846.1 KB

Last edited by androdev : 10th October 2022 at 11:26.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:06   #2196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This being Messi's last world cup and given the fan frenzy

It would be incredible if Messi wins but want to keep my expectations low after the scars of 2014 final.
Hear you on this, 2014 was traumatic for me too! Am a huge Messi fan, but also realize a lot of the buildup is hype and because media outlets know anything with 'Messi' in it will get clicks/eyeballs/views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Attending the WC in person is not going to be great through.
Again, echo your thoughts. Not because of the politics around the venue choice (I believe sports and politics should be separate) but because it's a really small nation-state and doesn't seem to have the fan-base to provide the atmosphere such an event requires. On the plus side though, the location has made a World Cup more accessible to us as Indians. But either way, I'm sure it will be fun, have a great time!

Last edited by am1m : 10th October 2022 at 12:09.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:57   #2197
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a world cup match live in the stadium!

Was the U-17 Women's World Cup Semi-Final match between Spain and Germany last night at Margao. Must admit, went there thinking it would be a slow-moving game, but must say was pretty engaging all through the match. Fast-paced, good passing, some great saves by both goalies and pretty intense stuff. Spain won 1-0 with a late goal, but a first-half goal by Germany was disallowed on a marginal offside. There were fouls and yellow cards, but notable lack of the 'follow-up aggression' that is typical in the male games. Good turnout as well, the 20,000-seater stadium was more than half-full.

Good to see several parents with little girls who showed up for the match, who knows which of them will be inspired to take things forward in the game for our country. Goa I've noticed is much better than most other places in the country when it comes to female participation in sports.

Last edited by am1m : 27th October 2022 at 09:59.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 15:04   #2198
BHPian

Liverpool FC could be set for an Indian takeover with multi-billionaire Mukesh Ambani interest in buying the club.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...n-28474176.amp
BrokenHW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 16:27   #2199
BHPian

Which streaming app can one use in India to catch the FIFA WC live from Qatar?
Old 13th November 2022, 16:45   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Which streaming app can one use in India to catch the FIFA WC live from Qatar?
Free on JioCinemas per this article:

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/footb...le66105310.ece
IndieGooner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 16:24   #2201
BHPian

How come this thread is so silent when WC is going to start within few hours from now?
I have been following WC since 1986 and for some reason, I am not getting the same feel this time that I used to get always.
As far as favorites, I guess this could be the first WC (in many years) with no clear favorites to win? I saw the prediction in BBC, where GER is expected to go out at the group stage itself.
As always, I want any of the non EUROPEAN team to win the cup. My heart says ARG, but keep disappointing me since 90 final. If not ARG, I don't mind BRA to win the cup. The only EUROPEAN team that like is NED.

Note: Also noted that there is no dedicated thread for this WC? I could see the same for last two editions? Moderators - request you to create a new thread if this requires a special attention from football lovers in this forum.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:24   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
How come this thread is so silent when WC is going to start within few hours from now?
I have been following WC since 1986 and for some reason, I am not getting the same feel this time that I used to get always.
As far as favorites, I guess this could be the first WC (in many years) with no clear favorites to win? I saw the prediction in BBC, where GER is expected to go out at the group stage itself.
As always, I want any of the non EUROPEAN team to win the cup. My heart says ARG, but keep disappointing me since 90 final. If not ARG, I don't mind BRA to win the cup. The only EUROPEAN team that like is NED.
Exactly. I also feel the festive vibe is missing this time. I watch/follow it from 1994 (Roberto Baggio times). Some how I believe the COVID induced work from home has made me aloof in connecting with real world which I was doing in School, College and work and daily talking about matches. I believe people are also tired of Messi, CR, Neymar being GOATs. Thanks for reviving the interest.

Anyway, I always love Argentina followed by Germany. So I would love one of them win. Last time Germany crashing out at group stage was a humiliation. Hope they do justice this time. I just installed Jio Cinemas to catch some action. I watched some introductions and Spanish team is quite a bit of youngsters that I think they resemble the 2010 German team.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 21:28   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Free on JioCinemas per this article:
Unfortunately, JioCinema is not allowing to cast the matches to TV via Google Chromecast
Old 20th November 2022, 21:46   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Unfortunately, JioCinema is not allowing to cast the matches to TV via Google Chromecast
Not surprised. Meanwhile, I'm struggling to watch on their mobile app with the video buffering every few minutes. I had my misgivings about this whole free telecast on the app and would have preferred a paid option from a more competent provider.

I don't have a cable subscription. So, i suppose I am left to hunt or some streams to watch this world cup.
IndieGooner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 21:58   #2205
BHPian

U won't be able to cast jio apps on any device. If it's a smart tv you can download jio cinema app or try Kodi app. It's a Android emulator. Download jio cinema app on that.
I'm using fire stick. Downloaded it today, is working fine.

Its either Argentina or Brazil who are going to win. Third team I'd bet my money on would be England. I don't think any of the European giants are going to win this time. Although I'd love to see Argentina vs Portugal
Akash86M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks