Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2022, 22:06   #2236
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

The Japanese have done a Germany today! Stunned the opposition with their attack and speed!
Old 23rd November 2022, 22:41   #2237
Distinguished - BHPian

Late to post but been following WC 2022 from the opening ceremony, which wasn't that great except for the Jeon Jung Kook track "Dreamers". Foot tapping number - I rank it third after Shakira's "Waka Waka" and Ricky Martin's "The Cup of Life" which will always be my number 1.

As for the matches, not impressed by the intent shown by some of the big teams so far. Lower teams such as Senegal, Saudi Arabia, Japan and even Ecuador have impressed, results notwithstanding. Despite having chances galore, the Dutch, the Danes, the Croats, the Germans and the Argentinians have been largely disappointing.

Only biggies which have looked worth their salt are England, France and Spain. Argentina & Germany have provided us with shockers of the tournament so far, but that was mainly due to lack of intent shown in the second halves of their respective matches where they let their oppositions dominate both possession and the will to win.

The miss by De Jong in the 17th minute in the Netherlands - Senegal game was absolutely shocking. Only due to their substitutions and late flourish did they end up winning. Felt bad for the Senegalese.

The Mexico - Poland game turned out to be exciting, even though it ended being a draw.

France look to be the most dominant easily with the trio of Mbappe, Giroud & Griezmann, seconded by England. But there's still some time to go. Let's see how Belgium & Brazil tee off in the hours/days to come.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd November 2022 at 22:43.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 00:18   #2238
BANNED

I was disappointed with the Germany match but super elated after seeing Espana put 7 past Costa Rica, the team is in full flow.
Old 24th November 2022, 05:10   #2239
Team-BHP Support

Germany vs Japan

Started rather boring, and Germany were fortunate to get a penalty owing to a clumsy tackle from the Japanese goalkeeper. Germany while efficient weren't impressive and seemed to do well enough to hold on to the lead going into half time. Japan somehow preferred to sit back and counterattack, with flashes of speed.

Teh second half with the supersubs from Japan turned the match on it's head. Right from the word Go, Japan went on the offensive and left Germany gasping. The long balls into the German half exposed their defence and Japan were quick to capitalise. The second goal converted at that angle was pure class.

Well-deserved win for Japan.

Croatia vs Morocco

If i had to pick a better team from this match, no doubt it was Morocco. Their defence was brilliant, and so was their attacks from the right wing. They played with passion but there was a common theme for both teams, which was the inability to convert the chances created. Modric played various roles, including defence ... too much to ask of one player.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 07:16   #2240
BHPian

This is how the Japanese national team left its locker room after beating Germany 👏

Courtesy : FIFA

The Football Thread-20221124_071523.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 08:35   #2241
BHPian

I know this is a controversial topic within FIFA. But, when you see teams like Costa Rica, Qatar playing the WC and then teams like ITA, SWE missing out, then what kind of message is given from FIFA?
And from next WC, it will be expanded to 48 teams. That is 16 new teams. But only 3 teams from UEFA. That is a joke for me.
Old 24th November 2022, 09:12   #2242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
But, when you see teams like Costa Rica, Qatar playing the WC and then teams like ITA, SWE missing out, then what kind of message is given from FIFA?
I used to think that way too till recently. At one point in time, Japan and Saudi Arabia would have been referred to in that same bracket. And see what they have done against mighty Argentina and Germany!

Now I'm of the opinion that new teams should be welcome. At least football has shown signs of developing the game in new countries that can challenge the established order. Unlike cricket where the same 8-10 countries have held sway for almost the same time that football has been around.

Personally I watch sport because of the chance of matches like Saudi Arabia-ARG (and I'm saying this as an ARG, Messi, Maradona fan) and GER-JP. What's the fun in watching one of 8-10 teams not only win the world cup each time but qualify for the final rounds each time? Cricket is currently at that stage and compared to the football world cup (and I'm saying this as a lifelong cricket watcher), it's getting boring.

About including Qatar, including the host makes sense, you need the local crowds involved and attending.

Last edited by am1m : 24th November 2022 at 09:14.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:21   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I used to think that way too till recently. At one point in time, Japan and Saudi Arabia would have been referred to in that same bracket. And see what they have done against mighty Argentina and Germany!
Yes, you do have a point here. We need to have new teams coming up to expand the sport.
But we also need to balance it out. Allocating just 3 spots (out of 16) to UEFA was a joke for me.
Another point is, with club football getting more and more popular, there is hardly any importance given to friendlies.
And even when they play, how many times we have seen Asian/African/Central American country playing against top UEFA team?
Unless these teams play against strong opposition (like top UEFA or SA team), they will not improve.
Same thing is happening in cricket as well, as you very well pointed out.
But, diluting the WC just for this purpose, I don’t agree.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:33   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, diluting the WC just for this purpose, I don’t agree.
Agreed.

Ideal would be stronger support, viewership, and sponsorship for regional tournaments, like the African Cup of Nations and Asian equivalents of Euro or even Copa America. And strong support for the lower age group world cups like u-17. Development of the game has to happen at those levels ideally and should naturally funnel into the World Cup which ideally should be just the strongest 32 or whatever teams in the world irrespective of region.

But the reality is different with today's advertising budget allocation, viewer preferences and lack of eyeballs/money for anything except the highest level of tournaments with superstar brand players who can be marketed. So it becomes what it is, a balancing act. Otherwise, over time the football world cup will go the way of cricket (or even worse, baseball!), well sponsored and healthy in a few countries, but largely irrelevant to the rest of the planet.

Last edited by am1m : 24th November 2022 at 09:34.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:36   #2245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, you do have a point here. We need to have new teams coming up to expand the sport.
But we also need to balance it out. Allocating just 3 spots (out of 16) to UEFA was a joke for me.
The below is just my opinion, and may not be entirely accurate.

Like any other sport, football too is a business. Allowing new countries into the mix means greater expansion of the sport and its following, thereby tapping new markets. Let's assume for a moment that of the additional spots, India was to be one of the countries that made it to the World Cup. Just imagine the business and development potential this was to bring in, both directly as well as indirectly.

As an Azzurri fan, i miss not having Italy in this world cup, however if it means we get to see more budding nations who play their heart out to shake up the existing hierarchy, why not?!

EU is a saturated market as far as football is concerned.. as a governing body the focus will be on increasing the reach, rather than keeping it within a closed group.
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 22:47   #2246
Team-BHP Support

Good match between Uruguay and South Korea - pretty fast. Not much to choose between the two teams. Both sides showed good defending skills. Impressive performances by some of the Asian teams so far.
Old 25th November 2022, 04:57   #2247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Good match between Uruguay and South Korea - pretty fast. Not much to choose between the two teams. Both sides showed good defending skills. Impressive performances by some of the Asian teams so far.
Totally agree. South Korean were brilliant with the counter attacks and speed down the flanks, but it does look like the high balls will be their undoing. Any team that does well with the aerial route of play will cause them a lot of problems.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:02   #2248
Distinguished - BHPian

Did CR really deserve that penalty? I thought it was hardly a tackle, he was lucky to get that call. Sad for Ghana, they came back really strong with 2 goals. Whatever the controversies around this WC, the football is really living up to expectations. Loving how so many lower-ranked teams are giving the established footballing powers a good match.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 14:39   #2249
BHPian

BRA vs SER was pretty intense, typical fast attack from Brazil which GER used to do in 2014. Serbia, sadly, parked the bus and did not create many chances, though they were pretty good at times in taking possession back. Most of them play in Serie A, perhaps they are spoiled by defense first approach of ITA

Neymar has upped his diving skills
Old 25th November 2022, 18:23   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday Ghana rang some serious alarm bells for Portugal, and today we have Iran beating Wales in the dying moments of stoppage time in the 2nd half - that too by not 1, but 2 goals!

Not to mention the first red card of the WC dished out today, that too to the Wales goalie Wayne Hennessey!

3 big upsets - Argentina, Germany & now Wales. What a World Cup we are witnessing so far!

The Football Thread-wa.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks