Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 12:11   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
However, no damage done at Nou Camp. United will win at Old Trafford.
I think the other way. United just dropped the Champions' League title when Ronaldo missed the penalty.

Chock Ronaldo, and the whole United midfield disappears, as we have seen today. He doesn't have the temprament to inspire the team like Steven Gerrard.

Both teams on the other semi (Liv and Che) looks stronger on tactical acumen. One of those might take the title home, though my heart says "Mas que un club"
Old 24th April 2008, 12:13   #317
BHPian

Not really. Barca did not create chances. They hardly had a shot on goal until Henry forced Van Der Sar into a couple of saves later in the match. 65% ball possession and they do not have a goal to show for all the dominance. That will play on their mind when they come to Old Trafford.

Lets wait n watch
Old 24th April 2008, 14:26   #318
BHPian

While I agree with you WhiteKnight regarding the penalty miss, I don't think 0-0 is a bad result at Nou Camp. Obviously, it would have been great to go to Old Trafford with an away goal. But the tie is very keenly poised, anything is possible. Barca have a lot of quality players who can put the ball in the net in a flash.

I thought we were a little too cautious in our approach. Obviously, missing Vidic did not help. Fergie did not have enough faith in putting Pique in there and keep Brown at right back. With a make-shift back four, it was always going to be safety first for Utd. But, if you remember, Barca's defence was all at odds whenever Utd ran at them with the ball (which was too little for my liking).

I think Fergie has learnt from his mistakes in the past. Utd teams have been known for going out and playing an open game. It has resulted in our downfall away from home, most notably last year at Milan. It was a very intelligent and efficient performance and gives Utd a great chance to get to the final.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:44   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
While I agree with you WhiteKnight regarding the penalty miss, I don't think 0-0 is a bad result at Nou Camp. Obviously, it would have been great to go to Old Trafford with an away goal. But the tie is very keenly poised, anything is possible. Barca have a lot of quality players who can put the ball in the net in a flash.

I thought we were a little too cautious in our approach. Obviously, missing Vidic did not help. Fergie did not have enough faith in putting Pique in there and keep Brown at right back. With a make-shift back four, it was always going to be safety first for Utd. But, if you remember, Barca's defence was all at odds whenever Utd ran at them with the ball (which was too little for my liking).

I think Fergie has learnt from his mistakes in the past. Utd teams have been known for going out and playing an open game. It has resulted in our downfall away from home, most notably last year at Milan. It was a very intelligent and efficient performance and gives Utd a great chance to get to the final.
Totally agree with you. Fergie has got it right this time playing away from home against a very flamboyant side like Barca. He must be smiling secretly at a 0-0 result, knowing a solitary goal at Old Trafford is good enough to take Utd through to the finals. Althought, it would be foolish to write-off Barca just yet. Messi looked in scintillating form, Iniesta looked good as well. Eto'o is always a danger. I think Henry will start at Old Trafford. He was by far the most effective player for Barca after Messi. Pity, Frank Rijkaard does not place too much faith in him.

I see Utd going to the finals along with Chelsea.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:45   #320
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what do you feel about Van Der Sar as a goalkeeper? I feel he has been making mistakes time and again, and at times communication with the defence is in question.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:47   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, what do you feel about Van Der Sar as a goalkeeper? I feel he has been making mistakes time and again, and at times communication with the defence is in question.
Yes, he has made a few mistakes. But he has saved United many a times this season. However, it would be good for Utd to find a replacement for him ASAP. Tomasz Kuszak is a good prospect and is currently an understudy to Van Der Sar.

Wonder if they can poach Iker Casillas from Real Madrid . I am day-dreaming
Old 24th April 2008, 14:56   #322
Senior - BHPian

Ronaldo would be kicking himself. It had to happen sometime. The golden boy of Old Trafford had to miss somewhere down the line. But Barca would be kicking themselves even more that they did not capitalize on a day when United were no where near their best. Don't count Messrs Messi, Eto and Henry out of it just yet..
Old 24th April 2008, 15:48   #323
BHPian

Quote:
But, if you remember, Barca's defence was all at odds whenever Utd ran at them with the ball (which was too little for my liking).
Exactly. One should play to their strength, especially when they know that the other team is not in its prime.

Quote:
I think Fergie has learnt from his mistakes in the past. Utd teams have been known for going out and playing an open game. It has resulted in our downfall away from home, most notably last year at Milan.
Barca is no AC Milan. Even if you play a tight defensive game against AC Milan, Milan could score. Barca tend to get faded against tight defences, especially when their midfield is not at their best. So, what Fergie did was a defensive approach and he succeeded.
My whole point is, the team that was in better shape (physically and mentally) coming to the tie was Man U, so they should have trusted themselves a bit more and walked with an away win by outrunning Barca. Now, another week, another tie, another mindset, fitter Barca.....

Quote:
I see Utd going to the finals along with Chelsea.
I bet on Barca- Liv. Anyway, next week ties would be better for us-the audience. Have fun
Old 24th April 2008, 16:07   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tomasz Kuszak is a good prospect and is currently an understudy to Van Der Sar.

Tomasz is a good find, i agree.

I kinda miss Peter Scheimechel.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:21   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
My whole point is, the team that was in better shape (physically and mentally) coming to the tie was Man U, so they should have trusted themselves a bit more and walked with an away win by outrunning Barca. Now, another week, another tie, another mindset, fitter Barca.....
I don't exactly agree with you man. Utd had a tough tough game at Blackburn where they ran themselves ragged, while Barca had a sleepy derby with Espanyol. You should have seen the game, it didn't feel like it was a local derby. Yes, Utd were billed as favorites for the game, but we all know that a team like Barca can turn it on any moment. Plus, don't forget the fact that Utd have Chelsea in a Saturday afternoon game as well. Utd could not afford to just run, run and run in this scenario. In these circumstances, 0-0 is a very decent result.

As I mentioned in my previous post as well, it would have been worth a risk if Utd were a little more adventerous.

I have my fingers crossed. That crooked Barca defence gives me a lot of comfort (even with Puyol returning). cheers:
Old 24th April 2008, 16:40   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, he has made a few mistakes. But he has saved United many a times this season. However, it would be good for Utd to find a replacement for him ASAP. Tomasz Kuszak is a good prospect and is currently an understudy to Van Der Sar.

VDS is very very special. Yes, he does give you few heart attacks, but he has always delivered when called upon at crunch times. Apart from Kuszczak, we've got Ben Foster as well. He is a special talent. Very athletic and has nimble feet. He has been unlucky with injuries for more than a year now, otherwise he would have been pushing VDS for a berth in the first team big time. But VDS staying for another year would be very good for these two young keepers and aid their development. We don't need Casillas.
Old 24th April 2008, 20:44   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Tomasz is a good find, i agree.

I kinda miss Peter Scheimechel.
Scheimechel was God! Lets face it. After him, United have struggled to find somebody as good as him in the goal. We all know how Barthez (highly talented but equally erratic; no eccentric is a better word perhaps) was during this three years at United. VDS is past his prime, but still does a great job for the team with crucial saves more often than not.

Its hard to find a goalie as good as Scheimechel now. I mentioned Iker Casillas, perhaps the best goalie in the world at the moment, albeit a rather erratic year in the Primera Liga this time around.
Old 24th April 2008, 20:52   #328
BHPian

Quote:
I don't exactly agree with you man. Utd had a tough tough game at Blackburn where they ran themselves ragged, while Barca had a sleepy derby with Espanyol. You should have seen the game, it didn't feel like it was a local derby. Yes, Utd were billed as favorites for the game, but we all know that a team like Barca can turn it on any moment. Plus, don't forget the fact that Utd have Chelsea in a Saturday afternoon game as well. Utd could not afford to just run, run and run in this scenario. In these circumstances, 0-0 is a very decent result.

As I mentioned in my previous post as well, it would have been worth a risk if Utd were a little more adventerous.

I have my fingers crossed. That crooked Barca defence gives me a lot of comfort (even with Puyol returning). cheers:
I personally do not rate Puyol very highly. He is a good defender, thats about it. His return should not worry Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez.

In the game last night, if you notice, both Rooney and Ji-Sung Park played on positions that are perhaps not to their liking. But the intention was to contain Barcelona, because Fergie knew for sure that Barca will attack, attack and attack! Ronaldo did not get enough support due to this fact.

At Old Trafford, it would be back to normal. Perhaps Giggsy will start on the left flank and Ronaldo on the right flank. Scholes and Hargreaves the holding midfield. Rooney and Tevez upfront. Thats a killer combo. If they get their passing right from the word-go, Barca will be killed. Like nkapoor mentioned, Barca does have a rather leaky defence.

Before that though, Man Utd have a tough game at the Bridge. I see a draw here. United will look to contain and hit them on the counter. Chelsea have no option but to attack and score. That will leave the defence exposed once in a while and Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez will look for these situations to expose Chelsea.

Make or break week for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona. I read on Soccernet and completely agree with the writer's view. All four want to win the Champions League. The only manager who can afford to stay in the job is Alex Fergusson, even if defeated. The other three are sure to lose their jobs if they fail to win. Way to go Man U.
Old 24th April 2008, 21:55   #329
BHPian

Seems that Vidic will miss the trip to bridge, will be tough for Utd against the likes of Drogba and Anelka. Brown or Silvestre will have to fill his void.

This is the first time I have seen Utd playing so defensively, Rio was superb and he was clearly containing Eto.

I expect a Utd Chelsea final. May be the trophies [UCL/EPL] could be shared among these teams.

In La liga, will Valencia get relegated ? Koeman's sacking has brought back Canizares, David Albelda and Miguel Angel Angulo into the first team. The dogfight seems to be interesting.
Old 25th April 2008, 10:04   #330
BHPian

Valencia were vying for top honors in the last few years and were rubbing shoulders with the best in the business. Now they are on the verge of relegation. Are they into a financial turmoil or is it some other reason?

Remember Leeds United. They played in a Champions League semi-final a few years back and are now languishing in the second division in England.

Clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea (recent riches), Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan will remain in the top flight for the foreseeable future. They are backed by a strong management and are cash-rich due to the virtue of selling themselves across the globe. The other so-called big club run into financial trouble due to bad management and in the process lose their stars rendering their club not so attractive to play with. Top players want to be in the limelight, playing in the top division at domestic level and also in the Champions League.

Another club which is now lost in oblivion is Deportivo La Coruna. They had some fantastic players in the early 2000s. No idea where they are now! Juan Carlos Valeron (did I get his name right?) is nowhere to be seen. He was touted as one of the best midfielders in those days.

Most Viewed