Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 11:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Buying mobiles from Singapore

Thank you mate; yes i feel the same, noting is coming in my radar too expect the iphone (unlock one)....
Old 21st November 2011, 13:56   #32
BHPian

Not worth! I bought LG 3G phone even when 3G was just talked about in India. Within an year, it developed a problem with slider strip. Had it been a phone model launched in India, I could have got it repaired for couple of thousand bucks.
But since the model was never launched, I can't get it reapaired in India.

But still if you are hell bent, then there is a place called Naranjan.

Mustafa is on Serangoon road. there is a mosque close by. One has to cross it and the next one is Rangoon road ( i'm not sure of name) This shop is located there. At the most 5 min walking distance from Mustafa.
Once you go there you come to know about its popularity amongst locals just by looking at the crowd.
However no warranty no bill. Chances are that one may be duped with counterfeit make. So be careful.

I don't find much of difference in prices in India and Singapore if one shops at mall / famous shops with bill and warranty.

Just a suggestion, you can plan to buy an LCD tv instead. Recently I bought LG 42LK450 for meagre 24k and later got 7% VAT refund. So all in all about for 23k.

Hope it was of some help to you.

Rgds.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:02   #33
BHPian

Tushar,
Like how everyone advised, don't bother shopping for electronics there.
Singapore no doubt was the place for electronics,but that is history.

Now, everything happens in India.
Just for a mere 1-1.5k difference in amount, you might end up losing warranty.

I suggest, enjoy your trip, buy in India, else try at the Duty-free shopping in Bangalore.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Just a suggestion, you can plan to buy an LCD tv instead. Recently I bought LG 42LK450 for meagre 24k and later got 7% VAT refund. So all in all about for 23k.

Hope it was of some help to you.

Rgds.
one qq mate, Did you bought LCD from Singapore?
Old 21st November 2011, 23:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Thank you mate; yes i feel the same, noting is coming in my radar too expect the iphone (unlock one)....
I was there end of Oct. Prices are the same or costlier than here. IPhone 4 was about 830 Singapore $ IIRC at Mustafa
I bought a citizen watch at Lifestyle here for Rs 9300 odd. The same watch was costing around Rs11000 in Mustafa.
Transcend 32GB SD card was Rs 2800 approx. The same is available in Flipkart for Rs 2400.
On arrival back in India, I did see a lot of Flat panel TVs rolling out in the conveyor belt at the airport! So I guess that must be cheaper.
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Did you bought LCD from Singapore?
Yes I did.

Quote:
On arrival back in India, I did see a lot of Flat panel TVs rolling out in the conveyor belt at the airport! So I guess that must be cheaper.
TVs are definitely cheaper.
I had been there quite a few time and always how to carry so big mindblock stopped me from this. In fact as a seaman I get 40 KG allowance so weight was also not an issue then.

Mustafa did deliver the TV at airport well in time at nominal charge which saved me a lot of hassle. So all in all it was quite worthwhile the pain.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Yes I did.

TVs are definitely cheaper.
I had been there quite a few time and always how to carry so big mindblock stopped me from this. In fact as a seaman I get 40 KG allowance so weight was also not an issue then.

Mustafa did deliver the TV at airport well in time at nominal charge which saved me a lot of hassle. So all in all it was quite worthwhile the pain.
Cool.. and thx for update mate, today or this week i will try to visit Mustafa
Old 24th November 2011, 06:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil

Cool.. and thx for update mate, today or this week i will try to visit Mustafa
Also check out Niranjan on Race Course Road.
Think it is next block to Jade towards Jaggi.
Old 24th November 2011, 07:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Also check out Niranjan on Race Course Road.
Think it is next block to Jade towards Jaggi.
Sure will do mate.....
Old 24th November 2011, 07:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Personal experience: Don't buy electronics from abroad: I'm stuck with a 1TB Go Flex Seagate drive which is under warranty upto 2015 but developed a snag after taking in say 400 movies and when contacted Seagate India say take it to Singapore to get a replacement. I bought it in Mustafa Dept. Store. this cost me roughly rs.12000 almost 1.5 years ago. Buy something like perfumes apparel; electronics a strict no no.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:18   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am travelling to Singapore & Malaysia on 29th of December. Please suggest me as to what to buy there for personal use and for gifts. Please suggest what to be bought in Singapore and Malaysia and how do prices compare between both the places.

Thanks and regards.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
I am travelling to Singapore & Malaysia on 29th of December. Please suggest me as to what to buy there for personal use and for gifts. Please suggest what to be bought in Singapore and Malaysia and how do prices compare between both the places.
There are quite a few travelogues here covering Singapore and Malaysia, look up a few of them and you will have a fair idea of what to buy.

While in singapore for buying souvenirs ,try shops on Serangoon Road and China town which sells stuff like 3/5 items for 10$'s.They are called 3 for 10$ stores. Check this post (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour) for window shopping in Singapore, try and visit Bugis.

For mobiles and P&S camera's try Niranjan's Store opposite the Farrer Park MRT Station.Then again I would say pick them up here, works cheaper also warranty claims is a problem once you are back in india.

Mustafa's, needn't say much everything under one roof. The ideal place to exchange currency coz I got the best prices here.Make sure you get your GST refund forms filled up here and you can get a refund of the taxes paid on the item from the airport. I picked up my Edifice from here and a few other things. LCD's and LED's is something you can look at .

Now if you $hit loads of money , look no further take a taxi and head straight to Orchard Street and splurge .

For shopping in Malaysia , check this post here (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour). I have covered whatever I can think of and yeah have a nice trip Lah .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 09:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
There are quite a few travelogues here covering Singapore and Malaysia, look up a few of them and you will have a fair idea of what to buy.

While in singapore for buying souvenirs ,try shops on Serangoon Road and China town which sells stuff like 3/5 items for 10$'s.They are called 3 for 10$ stores. Check this post (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour) for window shopping in Singapore, try and visit Bugis.

For mobiles and P&S camera's try Niranjan's Store opposite the Farrer Park MRT Station.Then again I would say pick them up here, works cheaper also warranty claims is a problem once you are back in india.

Mustafa's, needn't say much everything under one roof. The ideal place to exchange currency coz I got the best prices here.Make sure you get your GST refund forms filled up here and you can get a refund of the taxes paid on the item from the airport. I picked up my Edifice from here and a few other things. LCD's and LED's is something you can look at .

Now if you $hit loads of money , look no further take a taxi and head straight to Orchard Street and splurge .

For shopping in Malaysia , check this post here (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour). I have covered whatever I can think of and yeah have a nice trip Lah .
Thanks a lot for all the information and it will definetely be helpful to me. I wont be spending much on shopping but would definetely like to buy if it is really less expensive than in India.

Regards.

Patil
Old 4th December 2011, 20:42   #44
naj
BHPian

Without doubt !! Go to Niranjan Electronics for the purchase. But do your homework well before buying. He does not give you time to fiddle around.

Cheers!!

naj
Old 5th December 2011, 01:15   #45
BHPian

Agree with what the others have said here. Don't buy electronics/anything that has the potential to break down or cause problems from Singapore. Stick to stuff like clothes, perfumes, shoes, bags etc.

I travel to Singapore every time I go to India or Europe (as Singapore is the stopover for most flights originating out of Australia so we pretty much have to pass through either Singapore or Hong Kong), so I've been there many many times (at least 15). I remember the first few times, I was fascinated with all the shops and the glitzy new electronic stuff. Look, but don't buy. Firstly, the prices are not that different compared to India, and secondly, some sales people are the biggest rip offs you'll ever come across. They will sweet talk you into buying something that you don't need and will even charge a higher price for it!

Case in point: My dad was looking for a new lens for his camera, he found a good deal (it was the same as buying it in the US) but in Singapore we would get the tax refund, so it made it a bit cheaper. So he bought that. But then the shopkeeper talked him into buying accessories (such as a lens filter, lens protector etc) which were totally unnecessary and after coming home we found that we were charged 10 times what they actually cost!!
(the store in Singapore had charged us $55 for a lens protector when it is available for $5-6).

That said, there are a few things I've bought which I couldn't find anywhere else (such as my JBL Alien speakers - bought them in 2003, still going strong, not a single problem with it).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks