Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Help - RC Book Lost!

Hi. My car was provided to me by office with a clause that I should compulsarily buy it after 4 yrs of use or if I left before that. Now I have done 4 years, the car gets automatically transferred to me.

The problem, I came to know yesterday, is that my admin guys cant find the original RC papers to the car. Now the original RC was being kept with the company and they are "searching" for it.

Car is in Bangalore and registed at Bangalore RTO (whichever RTO under which Jayanagar comes)

My questions are as follows
  1. What do I need to do now? Guess I need to apply for another RC book
  2. How do I go about applying for a duplicate RC book? What is the process, how long does it take, approx cost etc
  3. Will this cause my resale value of the car to drop and will it be mentioned in the new RC book that its a "duplicate"
  4. Would any one Know any agents who can help?
Regards,

Victor

Note to Mods - If I have posted in the wrong section, my apologies. Pls shift it to the right section and do let me know. Am going crazy with worry on this whole lost RC business
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Help - RC lost by office

Quote:
The owner of the car (as per RC) need to file a Police Complain and apply for the copy of RC from the the RTO.

Quote:
  1. Will this cause my resale value of the car to drop and will it be mentioned in the new RC book that its a "duplicate"
Not sure, ideally it should not. One of my friend lost his RC and got a duplicate one. also he sold his car a year back. He didnt mention anyhting of lesser value because of the duplicate RC.

Quote:
Would any one Know any agents who can help?
My personal experience in BLR RTOs (mainly in Indiranagar and KR Puram RTO), the staffs are very good and dont need any agent. Alternatively I know one guy in Indiranagar who is good at his service and many friends of mine get his service. But I think you need someone from Indiranagar RTO.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1. What do I need to do now? Guess I need to apply for another RC book: file an FIR
  2. How do I go about applying for a duplicate RC book? What is the process, how long does it take, approx cost etc.Approach RTO with FIR, time and cost is anybody's guess()
  3. Will this cause my resale value of the car to drop and will it be mentioned in the new RC book that its a "duplicate".No
  4. Would any one Know any agents who can help?If you dont have any personal connections,go to a used car dealer.for some commission he will get you to the right person(these guys do this day in, day out).
Cheerios!

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd June 2011 at 10:51.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
The owner of the car (as per RC) need to file a Police Complain and apply for the copy of RC from the the RTO.

Not sure, ideally it should not. One of my friend lost his RC and got a duplicate one. also he sold his car a year back. He didnt mention anyhting of lesser value because of the duplicate RC.

My personal experience in BLR RTOs (mainly in Indiranagar and KR Puram RTO), the staffs are very good and dont need any agent. Alternatively I know one guy in Indiranagar who is good at his service and many friends of mine get his service. But I think you need someone from Indiranagar RTO.
But would it be mentioned in the new RC that it is a duplicate?
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:06   #5
BHPian

Approach AASI and become a member. They will take care of everything. They are very professional unlike the sleazy RTO agents. Their office is on St. Marks road. Best part is that they will get your work done without a pisa of bribe.

Automobile Association of Southern India - AASI

New RC will mention Duplicate on it. However, as long as you have the FIR copy, I don't see why your car should fetch a lower value in the used car market. Heck, people lose their property papers and get by with duplicates and FIR copy. You are worrying too much .

Last edited by bullinb : 22nd June 2011 at 11:11.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
But would it be mentioned in the new RC that it is a duplicate?
Yes, it will mention duplicate as far as I remember.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the admin department of your organisation is responsible for misplacing the papers so they should be held accountable for it and asked to do all the work around this. If I were in your place, I would talk to them infirmally and find out if they are willing and able to resolve this within an acceptable time frame. If not, I would escalate this issue within the organisation to get them moving. I do not think you should take this task upon yourself as the organisation is responsible to transfer the vehicle in your name after you pay the balance amount, if any. How they do it should be their problem not yours.

Other than this, I dont think it should make any difference to the resale value of the car. Of course, some resellers/ dealers/ agents would use this as an excuse to negotiate or offer a lower price and increase their margins. Try to resell directly and it should not be so much of an issue.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
Hi. My car was provided to me by office with a clause that I should compulsarily buy it after 4 yrs of use or if I left before that. Now I have done 4 years, the car gets automatically transferred to me.

The problem, I came to know yesterday, is that my admin guys cant find the original RC papers to the car. Now the original RC was being kept with the company and they are "searching" for it.

Car is in Bangalore and registed at Bangalore RTO (whichever RTO under which Jayanagar comes)

My questions are as follows
  2. How do I go about applying for a duplicate RC book? What is the process, how long does it take, approx cost etc
  3. Will this cause my resale value of the car to drop and will it be mentioned in the new RC book that its a "duplicate"
  4. Would any one Know any agents who can help?
Regards,

Victor

Note to Mods - If I have posted in the wrong section, my apologies. Pls
shift it to the right section and do let me know. Am going crazy with worry on this whole lost RC business
This should be KA-05.
1. I don't think you need to do anything. Unless and until you have the RC book, you will not be in a position to apply for a transfer to your name. For duplicate RC, the owner i.e. the company you work for should do the needful. Be after them for sometime before escalation. Need to be really sweet with these admin guys ;-)
2. As mentioned you cannot apply for a duplicate RC book since you are still not the owner of the vehicle.
3. Don't think it will have any problem with resale value of the car.
4. Since it's registered in Jayanagar (KA-05), get hold of an agent located outside/in the premises of RTO. I think it's Jayanagar shopping complex in 4th block.

Please let us all know how it goes
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car is in your name or your company's name as per RC? If it was in the company's name, the transfer would not happen to your name w/o the RC. So it is the company's headache IMO.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

victor, please ask your HR/facilities person to coordinate with the RTO and get the original RC. Only then initiate the process of buying the car from your office. It is their problem, not yours.

One question: how did you drive around in a car for 4 years without the RC? Assume you have a copy of it?
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

But million dollar question is, How your company able to transfer car in your name without RC book? No way it is possible. Car might have transferred in your name in office books, but not in RTO books.

I think car is still in the name of company and it is company's duty to get the new or duplicate RC book for your car. I think then only one can transfer car.

Edit: you can take this situation in your favour and ask some more discount in lieu of duplicate RC.

Last edited by anujmishra : 22nd June 2011 at 15:33.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but, a duplicate RC books definitely brings down resale value. Been there, done that, and experienced it first hand.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but, a duplicate RC books definitely brings down resale value. Been there, done that, and experienced it first hand.
not so bad, that news.
after all the RC when he gets it in his name will be a new one, innit.
The Lost RC is the company's, in as far as i gather.

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd June 2011 at 16:05.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:57   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Why?

Regards
Spitfire
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess it just has to be a mindset. For the prospective buyer,it could be a re-possessed vehicle or a vehicle with a questionable past.
Ask any car dealer and he will tell you that a vehicle with a duplicate Rc will fetch less than normal value!

Most Viewed