Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 17:38   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Wolfheart, I am not too much into death metal (at least the modern variety, I do like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary etc) but will try and have a listen. Sometimes its much harder for me to "get" these modern bands than the older stuff. (I am old!)

Got Megadeth's Endgame CD as a birthday gift...pretty good even though a bit routine stuff on it. The guitar work is stellar as is the norm with Mustaine and this time he has a great new lead to play with (Broderick).

Have also been listening to some Arsis (We are the nightmare album). Not bad at all.
Hey Abhay,

If you like Morbid Angel then you will definitely like Nile! Nile is Egyptian themed death metal. The music is brutal death metal peppered with haunting middle eastern traditional music passages played on instruments like sitar, gongs and whatever you call those middle eastern strings and percuussive instruments. The end result is a very brutal, dark and evil death metal. There's some fantastic guitarwork and amazingly complex riffs played with great technical precision and speed. There's plenty of double bass blast beat drumming and amazing death growls with some middle eastern chanting.

Give it a try, it's not like those new teenage metal bands that all sound like each other. This one's an instant classic, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

I would also recommend "Theogonia" by Rotting Christ and "Communion" by Septic Flesh!

PS: Obituary, Suffocation and Slayer have also released new albums recently!!
Old 18th November 2009, 13:59   #182
BANNED

Why do these bands sport such names, are they trying to be iconoclastic or just cool?
Old 18th November 2009, 18:03   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Why do these bands sport such names, are they trying to be iconoclastic or just cool?
Zaks,

Neither dude! Because bands screaming about violence, hatred, evil, aggression, anger, pain and death woouldn't want to sport names like "babyface" or "pussycat dolls" now would they?

These are extreme metal bands. If you check out the music, lyrics and imagery from any of the above bands, you'd realise that the names that they sport are quite apt.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 18th November 2009 at 18:16.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:44   #184
BHPian

Porcupine tree (I know its not heavy metal, but steven wilson did produce Opeths Damnation!) is performing in Bombay - at the IIT fest Mood Indigo - anyone from here gonna be going to check them out?

They're one of my favourite bands - I will def be there!
Old 19th November 2009, 10:46   #185
BHPian

I would be interested in going and I have heard PTree's music (not a lot).
Can non-students make it to Mood I?
ladak.imran - if you can help me out on this, I may join you there
Old 19th November 2009, 17:13   #186
BHPian

Don;t know if this is old news, but Amon Amarth is playing in Palace grounds on Dec 5th supported by textures. All this is a part of the deccan rock festival.

\m/\m/
Old 20th November 2009, 11:39   #187
BHPian

what? never heard of that one! I would have liked to go but its too soon ...if there is anything in Jan/Feb in Bangalore I will try to get there (as I'm planning a drive down South then)
Old 20th November 2009, 12:39   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Don;t know if this is old news, but Amon Amarth is playing in Palace grounds on Dec 5th supported by textures. All this is a part of the deccan rock festival.

\m/\m/
WHAT!!! Whoa Amon Amarth's one of my favorite bands. I have already seen them live and trust me they are absolutely bloody awesome!!

Now where's the damn travel agent, I'm booking my tickets for Bangy!! Hey if any of you guys wanna catch up for some brew before the show, lemme know!!!!
Old 9th February 2010, 11:57   #189
BHPian

Any news of other gigs then? The Big Four of Thrash are going to be playing in Poland this year and Megadeth will be on tour with Testament - wish that was happening here!
Old 9th February 2010, 15:07   #190
BHPian

@abhay

Iv'e seen two of the big four ( Megadeth & Slayer) play live but having them play at the same stage would be legendary.

Guess who's playing at Rock in India this year? after hosting bands like iron Maiden, Machine Head and Megadeth, this year's headlining acts are Backstreet Boys and Richard Marx. I think the organisers have lost their minds and their heterosexuality.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 9th February 2010 at 15:09.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:33   #191
BHPian

What the ___ ????

I'm not a fan of Slayer but Megadeth, 80s Metallica and some Anthrax would be amazing.
Also a big fan of Kreator and Testament keeping with the 80s thrash :-)

Heard a song from Dan Swanö yesterday - pretty impressive talent I would say with him doing almost everything on that record.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:02   #192
BHPian

Swano is a genius. I really like Edge of Sanity's Crimson. His other projects are Pan-thy-monium and Moontower. I'm yet to listen to Moontower.

If you like Dan swano you may also like Devin Townsend and Pelican.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:32   #193
Team-BHP Support

Wow! An exclusive 'Rock' thread! Sweet!

Guys, listen to these following tracks:

Soothsayer (Must listen)
Nottingham Lace
Too Many Humans
Final Wars
We Are One (feat. Serj Tankian from System Of A Down)
King James
Jordan
Padmasana
Whitewash

These tracks are all by this guy called Buckethead. He's a new find for me and I'm floored! A must listen for all guitar and rock lovers! This guy's leads and solos can put Steve Vai/Malmsteen/Satriani to shame!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th February 2010 at 23:51.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:42   #194
BHPian

I have heard a few snippets of Buckethead but I think I have long gone past the stage where "shred guitar" fascinates me..of course he has talent and skill but it gets a little tedious (talking abt guys like Malmsteen, Vai, Romeo, Petrucci etc)
Old 10th February 2010, 18:05   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@abhay

Iv'e seen two of the big four ( Megadeth & Slayer) play live but having them play at the same stage would be legendary.

Guess who's playing at Rock in India this year? after hosting bands like iron Maiden, Machine Head and Megadeth, this year's headlining acts are Backstreet Boys and Richard Marx. I think the organisers have lost their minds and their heterosexuality.
Sellouts as usual - perhaps the jokers should change the name to "Pop in India" - headlined by various joker acts.

Most Viewed