Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 14:25   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyone going for the Lamb Of God concert tomorrow?
I'm sadly missing it since I have to attend a friend's wedding in Salem.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:41   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
@suhaas the G3 in Tokyo I have has Petrucci on it and not Malmsteen. Its alright I suppose and I do like Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss on it. Vai is brilliant on his "For the love of God" as well. I think I got it in PlanetM.

Some other DVDs I love -
Testament - Live in London (with the classic line-up)
Opeth - Live Lamentations (complete Damnation album with only a few heavy songs)
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (fan of Jon Schaeffer's rhythm/riffs)
Judas Priest - Rising in the East (amazing disc as well - no extras but great show)
G3 with Petrucci is alright. Vai's 'For The Love Of God' is one of the most memorable solos ever! Somehow, Malmsteen doesn't sound right. Agreed, some of his work is fantastic, like Blitzkrieg, Far Beyond The Sun, Rising Force and Black Star; but it just doesn't hit the spot IMO.

Vai's variety is great but again, he isn't experimental enough. The 'Bad Horsie' riff sounds dastardly. Tender Surrender and For The Love Of God are great as well!

But recently, I've found Buckethead's song writing abilities to be on a different level altogether! (Speaking of which, I recently acquired the whole 'Buckehead Live At Aggie Theatre' DVD. It consists of a few Jimi Hendrix covers like Foxy Lady)

Soothsayer is an absolute masterpiece and so is Nottingham Lace. The solos in these songs are probably the best I've heard ever! Trust me on this! Songs like 'Siege Engine' and 'Forgotten Trail - Extended Shred Mix : iTunes Version) are a bit thrashy and the shredding seems a little overdone on the latter but it still sounds great IMO.

Compare these songs to others in his Discography (or even in the same album!) like 'Sail On Soothsayer' (which happens to be a sequel to the original masterpiece - Soothsayer), 'Coma', 'Whitewash', 'I Love My Parents', 'For Mom', 'Witches On The Heath', 'The Way To Heaven', 'Padmasana', etc. and you'll realize that he isn't about pure mindless shredding! There is so much melody in these songs it's almost unbelievable! All the aforementioned songs in this paragraph are all emotional, slow and heart touching compositions that will blow you away!

And then you've got your regular mainstream experimental and regular progressive rock compositions such as 'The Redeem Team', 'Plastination Station', 'Flock Of Slunks', 'Asylum Of Glass', 'Ghost Host', 'Gory Head Stump '06 The Pageant', 'Jordan' and 'Jump Man'. The last two have brilliant solos as well!

The things that this guy can do with the guitar! He's a genius, a mad man if you will! I rate him very highly among the respected lot. Right up there with Frank Zappa, Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Hendrix, Petrucci, Van Halen, Angus Young, etc.

Abhay, Ampere, Naveen, do check out some of these tracks. I'm sure you'll be blown away!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th May 2010 at 15:47.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:52   #288
BHPian

I have listened to a bit of Buckethead (soothsayer) and I agree he is good. He has total command over the instrument (a bit like Petrucci).
But musically I'm more of a riff/harmony guy than a shred/solo person. I love my solos but a crushing riff gives me more goosebumps :-)
Old 16th May 2010, 18:17   #289
Team-BHP Support

Got a new DVD : Queensryche Live Evolution. Terrific, though without Chris D Garmo. No live theatrics by the band. Just good music.

Also got new Knopfler album and decided to try Porcupine Tree (Got Deadwings). First Listen and I was blown away.
Need to give more listens before I come to some conclusions.

Could not find any Bucket head albums. Need to checkout more.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:45   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Got a new DVD : Queensryche Live Evolution. Terrific, though without Chris D Garmo. No live theatrics by the band. Just good music.

Also got new Knopfler album and decided to try Porcupine Tree (Got Deadwings). First Listen and I was blown away.
Need to give more listens before I come to some conclusions.

Could not find any Bucket head albums. Need to checkout more.
What's the Knopfler Ablum called? I would like to know! And I've listened to some Porcupine Tree and they are OK IMO. I think it needs to grow on me.

Buckethead albums are hard to come by. I don't think they're easily available in India. You can either download them illegally or pick them up from Amazon. But I suggest you listen to the studio recordings on YouTube before picking them up!

'A Real Diamond In The Rough', 'Crime Slunk Scene', 'Acoustic Shards', 'Cyborg Slunks', 'Albino Slug' and 'Enter The Chicken' are some nice albums to name a few. Definitely worth a listen!

EDIT: Ampere: I can lend you the DVD with all the 30-odd albums (1991-2010) by Buckethead if you're really that interested!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th May 2010 at 09:49.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:11   #291
Team-BHP Support

Suhaas, let me try the Amazon route first. Most people keep traveling in my office.
The Knopfler album is "Get Lucky". This one is after Kill to get Crimson. Its very good, but Sailing to Philadelphia is amazing.

I wanted to Porcupine Tree because I read somewhere that Riverside (which the latest band to climb into my favourites section) is a mix of Floyd and Porcupine Tree. It needs to grow further. Get Lucky is very good music.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2010 at 11:13.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:17   #292
BHPian

sad news to all metalheads on here I'm sure. Ronnie James Dio passed away on sunday.

Great voice and one of the pioneers of the heavy metal sound and a truly great performer with Dio, Rainbow, Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.

He will be missed!
Old 17th May 2010, 13:21   #293
Team-BHP Support

He had re-started Black Sabath under the name Heaven and Hell. And the album was a good come back. True Dio Gem.
I just saw the news today morning.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:26   #294
BHPian

I saw the news too... greatly saddened by the loss, let his soul RIP.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:07   #295
Team-BHP Support

It's sad. He will be deeply missed. My sincere condolences to his dear ones. God speed Dio. God speed.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:20   #296
Team-BHP Support

I have the original Rainbow with Blackmore and Dio.
Terrific with Man on the Silver Mountain.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:50   #297
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, that is indeed sad news. Sad news indeed. I can still remember listening to "Holy Diver" and copying the tape of "Diamonds" from my friend. And painstakingly copy the lettering of "Dio" onto my copy for album cover. And my friend telling me that when looked at it upside down, it actually reads "Devil". R.I.P - will sorely be missed.

What an incredibly different voice he had. My avatar image should actually be attributed to him - horns!!
Old 18th May 2010, 11:49   #298
Senior - BHPian

indeed dude and it was a friend who introduced me to Dio as well and it was the Diamonds tape as well!

Dio will be missed as one of the greatest vocalists of all ages. Elf, Rainbow,Sabbath,Dio,Heaven & Hell...amazing!!!

And we all have to thank him for giving us the Devil's Horns as a global metal symbol \m/

RIP
Old 18th May 2010, 12:03   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
indeed dude and it was a friend who introduced me to Dio as well and it was the Diamonds tape as well!

Dio will be missed as one of the greatest vocalists of all ages. Elf, Rainbow,Sabbath,Dio,Heaven & Hell...amazing!!!

And we all have to thank him for giving us the Devil's Horns as a global metal symbol \m/

RIP
The world is indeed a small place! Same common friend. Same album. Nice to see you here deathwalkr!
Old 18th May 2010, 13:39   #300
Team-BHP Support

He had done a "Sing for the Moment" (Aerosmith) along with Yngwie Malmsteen. Its awesome.
That was the first Dio I first heard. And guess who gave it to me?

That was TSK1979.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2010 at 13:46.

Most Viewed