Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 18:58   #331
BHPian

Any Type-O-Negative fans here? I read about Peter Steele yesterday that he died in April. My GF and I are big fans of Peter and Type-O. I have never felt so sad about a celebrity dying than I feel about Peter. I was privileged to watch Type O perfom live a few years ago. Apart from being a great performer Peter had a wicked sense of humor and kept the audience in splits between songs with his wisecracks.

A great loss! RIP Pete, you'll be missed! And yeah......you suck!
Old 9th June 2010, 19:24   #332
Senior - BHPian

Damn, I don't know how much news we don't receive even in this day and age. Didn't hear this news! Was a fan of Type O Negative - started off with their rendition of the song on NIB. And the other songs - My girlfriend's girlfriend, Black No.1 and my favourite - "Everyone I Love Is Dead"....
Old 9th June 2010, 19:35   #333
BHPian

Yeah man that cover of Black Sabbath was so deliciously dark and doomy. Here's the link for people who haven't heard it:

Old 9th June 2010, 21:31   #334
Team-BHP Support

Have no idea what you guys are talking about!

Meanwhile here is another news:

Father of Prog Rock: Rush is releasing another album very soon.
Its called Clockwork Angels.

The have pre-released two of the songs. As expected, production should be superb.
There last was album was mesmerizing (Snakes and Arrows).

RUSH - Official Website
Old 9th June 2010, 23:46   #335
BHPian

Alright Abhay, Ampere, Ayan (in alphabetical order)

You guy like '80's heavy metal (check)
You don't really dig growled vocals (check)-Abhay you're excepted
You like Priest and Maiden (check)

Have you guys checked out this band called ''Wolf"? It's all out heavy metal and they sound very similar to Priest. At times I felt that it's Halford singing. New band from Sweden playing 80's style metal. Check out this video below it's a song called Speed On:

(Would appreciate if you guys could give feedback on the song. Perhaps rate it on a scale of 0 to 5. Enjoy!!!)

Old 10th June 2010, 00:47   #336
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful!

WH thanks for that PM. My mobile gave me a buzz saying I have mail and hence could check this out!

Wow! I was blown away. Yes it IS very much like priest with Halford singing! 4.5 for me! Where did the 0.5 go? My favourite guitar solo was a small part. Apart form that its real great!

Let me find more about them.

Meanwhile I tried to find some good riverside link, but could not. Audio is pretty bad.

Do try to find the song "The same River" from the album "Out of myself"

You will be left thinking are you listening to "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"!!!
See if you can find it.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:08   #337
Senior - BHPian

@Wolfheart : Speed On was just brilliant. Teleported me to the good ol days of rock. Got to check out more Wolf songs.
Thank you.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:35   #338
BHPian

Ampere- If you like Priest/80s stuff, be sure to check out Primal Fear.
This band was founded by Ralf Scheepers (who missed out on becoming JP's vocalist when Halford left and Owens got the spot). He is eerily similar to Halford in style (you can also hear is earlier work in Gamma Ray - a power metal band).
Bone crushing guitars, soaring vocals + good soloing = Primal Fear

@Wolfheart- yes had heard the news of Type O singer dying...we have a member on TBHP with the same handle (TypeONegative) pretty sure he is a fan!

Was listening to Blotted Science last night. This is a instrumental technical/prog metal band from Watchtower's guitarist Ron Jarzombek..If you like some off beat/virtuoso stuff and would like to see a really talented guitarist check them out on YT.

edit:I will have to see the Wolf video from home..banned site from work. grr
Old 10th June 2010, 11:38   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Was listening to Blotted Science last night. This is a instrumental technical/prog metal band from Watchtower's guitarist Ron Jarzombek..If you like some off beat/virtuoso stuff and would like to see a really talented guitarist check them out on YT.

Blotted Science. Hmmm.. sounds interesting. instrumental/tech/progressive is my kind of genre. Will definitely check them out. Thanks for mentioning it, Abhay.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:17   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Ampere- If you like Priest/80s stuff, be sure to check out Primal Fear.
This band was founded by Ralf Scheepers (who missed out on becoming JP's vocalist when Halford left and Owens got the spot). He is eerily similar to Halford in style (you can also hear is earlier work in Gamma Ray - a power metal band).
Bone crushing guitars, soaring vocals + good soloing = Primal Fear

@Wolfheart- yes had heard the news of Type O singer dying...we have a member on TBHP with the same handle (TypeONegative) pretty sure he is a fan!

Yes. Blotted science is fantastic. I've been listening to Machinations of Dementia and it's a little humorous in a "mad genius" kind of way. Some riffs actually make me laugh. I don't know whether it's meant to be that way or that I need to be put in a straightjacket! Brilliant stuff nonetheless. Alex Webster (ex Cannibal Corpse bassist) is also part of the band.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:51   #341
Senior - BHPian

@Wolfheart - Speed on was awesome. Checked it from home so was able to check out some other songs too. Hmm, now thinking of how to go ahead and get their albums.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:54   #342
BHPian

@WH, Yup, killer bass on that album. I agree though that some riffs are so damn weird, but in a nice way..
Old 10th June 2010, 18:31   #343
BHPian

@ Abhay, what's the metal scene like in Pune? It's been quite sad here in Bombay (oops Mumbai). Do you guys have any pubs or bars playing heavy stuff?
Old 10th June 2010, 18:59   #344
BHPian

Recently went to the Hard Rock Cafe to see a band called Ruckus - it was okay but just that, hardly even rock! The lead player was more interested in looking cool than his playing it seemed! The very next week there was some DJ spinning House music (whatever that is) at that venue :|

So to keep it short, Pune definitely has a lot of bands but not too many places where they can play (Abraxas, Silver etc come to mind, and recently read in the paper about a "horror metal" band releasing their album) but I have been out of the concert/shows circuit for ages now so don't quote me on this.

There are couple of pubs/bars which play rock/metal (mainstream of course) but nothing like what I saw in Bangalore.
Old 11th June 2010, 03:46   #345
BHPian

@ampere, sammyboy & naveenroy

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you liked Wolf!

Here's a band called Evile for those of you with a taste for 80's style speed metal! Again, no growled vocals so check them out.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 11th June 2010 at 03:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks