Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 14:07   #361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@ Suhaas

I checked out the earlier Buckethead link that you had posted and it was very good indeed. I don't remember the name but the song was extremely catchy. I'll try to get some of his albums. Thanks! You seem to be a die hard Buckethead-head!
Frankly, I haven't been this hooked since I was a Soundgarden fanatic in school!

I recently acquired his discography (30 odd albums) and I've been discovering new tracks everyday. And each of them are different in their own way and that's what makes his work so special. His compositions vary from slow, melodic and acoustic strumming to heavy, powerful riffs and face-bleeding solos. This might be a bit much, but I'd rate him right up there with the Vais and Petruccis.

The song that you're referring to has to be in all probability, 'Soothsayer'

If you'd like to know more, then feel free to PM me
Old 12th June 2010, 14:17   #362
BHPian

Yes Soothsayer it is! Off I go to find some more music and a bucket of KFC!
Old 12th June 2010, 19:03   #363
Team-BHP Support

Suhaas just checked out the video that you posted. They seem to have experimented with lots of sound! Feels very good. But some how it felt to hard for me! Based on your previous comments, I could immediately make, why you like them so much! Its the thrash metal touch!

I would still continue with my liking for mainstream maiden oriented rock!

Abhay,
In fact while comparing JP to IM, I would still go with IM. Mainly because I like their guitar solos much more than JP (And obviously discounting pieces like beyond the realms of death !).

I also love the Queensryche solos for that matter. Mindcrime and Empire songs very nice. I have a DVD Audio of Empire in 5.1 and it sounds terrific.

Speaking of Solos, how can one forget Floydian solos by Gilmour ?

Here is a trivia: After the making of Animals, Gilmour had come-up with a music piece which the band (read non-Waters) wanted to be included in the next album. Waters was totally against it. But rest persisted and Waters had to give in.

Guess what was the piece? The solo of Comfortably Numb.

It is worth checking out Gilmour's Recent Releases. : On An Island and the live shows (1. Rember that Night and 2. Live in Gdansk)
Old 12th June 2010, 23:00   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Suhaas just checked out the video that you posted. They seem to have experimented with lots of sound! Feels very good. But some how it felt to hard for me! Based on your previous comments, I could immediately make, why you like them so much! Its the thrash metal touch!

I would still continue with my liking for mainstream maiden oriented rock!
I agree! And this is the heaviest song by him. And the only one that is 'thrashy' Unfortunately, one cannot make a judgment solely based on that track. You must listen to these tracks. the contrast is unbelieveable.

First listen to these:

And then this:

And now compare the three tracks.

EDIT: P.S. Gilmore's solos are unbelievable! I particularly love the 'High Hopes' solo by him. Floyd is however, progressive psychedelic rock and not really metal!
Old 13th June 2010, 15:23   #365
BHPian

Since we've been discussing guitar players, guitar solos and thrashy heavy guitar riffs, I can't help but mention Apocalyptica. They're a metal band that plays metal with cellos. Yes cellos and no guitars at all!

They started off as a band playing covers of Metallica and Sepultura and now play original music as well. Check out this cover of Metallica's "One". Killer performance with a wicked solo towards the end.

Old 13th June 2010, 15:45   #366
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that was incredible. I could never imagine that such uh.. posh (if I may use the term) instruments could produce such raw sounds. Brilliant. Its like Clark Kent and Superman
Old 14th June 2010, 14:57   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't understand your question.
I had meant to ask something but somehow got edited out and now I don't recall it!

Quote:
Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament are comparatively "radio friendly" (a term that is used for more melodic/commercial sounding albums) as opposed to bands like Slayer or Venom.
I would not call Testament radio friendly - 90s 'tallica and 'Deth? Yes surely. and I'm not a fan of that era.

Testament infact turned slightly to death/thrash almost in some of their albums like Demonic/Gathering and even the new Formation of Damnation.
Agree though they do have a lot of melody (Skolnick!) accompanied by some brutal riffing by Eric Peterson. Live in London is a powerful sonic assault - if you haven't do check it out.

@suhaas: will check the Buckethead link later from home.

Also like you said its a indiviual choice as I am not too pro-Slayer but love Kreator who are almost a German copy of them - same aggression and harsh vocals.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:28   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since we've been discussing guitar players, guitar solos and thrashy heavy guitar riffs, I can't help but mention Apocalyptica. They're a metal band that plays metal with cellos. Yes cellos and no guitars at all!

They started off as a band playing covers of Metallica and Sepultura and now play original music as well. Check out this cover of Metallica's "One". Killer performance with a wicked solo towards the end.

YouTube - One - Apocalyptica
I used to listen to a lot of Apocalyptica last year. Their Metallica covers are fantastic! They are phenomenal to say the least. This is my favourite song of theirs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
@suhaas: will check the Buckethead link later from home.

Also like you said its a indiviual choice as I am not too pro-Slayer but love Kreator who are almost a German copy of them - same aggression and harsh vocals.
Absolutely! I used to listen to Slayer and Filth a few years back and they are fantastic. They are quite different but amazing in their own ways. I'd taken a liking to Gojira as well.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:05   #369
BHPian

@Abhay

Never got into Testament. Had recently (late 90's) heard their much touted comeback album called Low. Wasn't very impressed with their new death metal-ish sound. I'll give the new album a listen though.

@ sammy boy

Nice analogy there. It's like beauty & the beast just that beauty is the beast in this case. It's like going on a date with a beautiful chick and she surprises you by turning into a werewolf!

@ Suhaas

Good to know you like heavier stuff like Slayer / Filth etc. I like old COF. I thing Cruelty and the Beast & Dusk and Her Embrace are brilliant works of art!
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:21   #370
BHPian

Why is it so quiet here?

Here's some Nile, capable of dethroning Morbid Angel dare I say! Fellas who don't like growled vocals just check out the bloody instrumentation. Brilliant stuff!!!

Old 23rd June 2010, 13:12   #371
BHPian

Is the new Morbid Angel album coming out any time soon?

heard some Melechesh the other day - again a Sumerian themed - black metal? normally I really dislike anything BM but this had good music if not great vocals.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:27   #372
BHPian

It seems David Vincent is back with Morbid Angel. The last album I heard was Gateways to Annihilation which was quite mediocre. Let's hope that they cut a good one this time. Something that rivals the first 4 albums. I remember listening to Djinn by Melechesh a few years ago. However I have been a huge fan of Nile since I first heard them and saw them live. One of the best DM bands ever!

If you wanna check out Sumerian themed death metal try Communion by Septicflesh. very talented band from Greece and an awesome atmospheric album.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 23rd June 2010 at 13:29.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:04   #373
Team-BHP Support

All quiet. Only on a listening front. No new bands.

Queensryche, Rush, IE and Guardian.

Have you guys given spin of Bruce's solo albums?

Chemical Wedding, Accident of Birth, Tyranny of Souls?
Old 24th June 2010, 16:51   #374
BHPian

@Wolf, did check out Septic Flesh but only a couple of tracks.will hear some more but first impressions are good.

@ampere, all his solo albums are quite decent. As for new bands, try Firewind (power metal) or if you are in the mood for some thrash, Artillery (By Inheritance is one of their better albums)
Old 27th June 2010, 18:43   #375
BHPian

hi friends,
This is the music of 1980's, but i dont know the album name or the singer. Anyone who can let me know about it? This album contains most of the song virtually instrumental and very soulful music.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks