Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 12:00   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

The eternal war between Metallica fans and Megadeth fans continues for well...eternity

For Metallica:
One of the pioneers of Thrash Metal
Can't deny their greatness in the world of all that is Metal
Gave us godly songs like fade to black, master of puppets, seek n destroy, four horsemen etc etc
Grew out of their youth ridden angst into more mature musicians.

Against Metallica:
Did things they said they would never do. Like when MTV was launched, Lars Ulrich said we would never see Metallica doing Music Videos for MTV and a few months later they came out with a video for "One"!
Alienated their hard won core thrash fan base by looking for a more wider audience by playing music which was for more accessible to a more wider fanbase
Grew out of their youth ridden angst into more mature musicians.

For Megadeth:
Evolved from ^ into something more fiercer and angrier having a point to prove for being dumped.
Gave us Rust in piece, she wolf, victory, symphony of destruction, a tout le monde and etc etc.

Against Megadeth:
Mustaine and his ever changing lineups
Mustaine suddenly finding God and refusing to tour with Slayer

And as for Mustaine being a bad singer well so is Ozzy but the important thing to note is that they were both excellent vocalists and their styles suited the music of the band. Its not as if these guys want to be an American Idol or something

And it was good to see Megadeth and Metallica on stage together with Anthrax playing Am I Evil \m/
Old 10th January 2011, 17:36   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Against Megadeth:
Mustaine and his ever changing lineups

And it was good to see Megadeth and Metallica on stage together with Anthrax playing Am I Evil \m/
I agree. That was pretty lame of Mustaine. He also refused to tour with Dissection and Rotting Christ because of his new found love of God. There was this whole fiasco where Dissection had threatened Mustaine and he had to hire extra security during that particular tour.

It's quite funny because Mustaine hasn't exactly been an angel himself. I can't help but quote " Sau choohe kha kar, billi hajj ko chali" :-)

Did you get to see the Big 4 live?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 10th January 2011 at 17:40.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:01   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Well if you've heard only three albums then your next comment doesn't surprise me...

That's an understatement. The wah wah just barely masks Hammett's mediocre guitar playing. Trust me he would be handicapped without it. As far as tremolo picking goes show me one decent speed metal / black metal band that doesn't use it? It's as integral to metal as power chords or distortion!

Further, check out this book called The 100 Greatest Metal Guitaristsby Joe McIver. You'll find the likes of Petrucci, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde & Trey Azagthoth in the top 10. Yes Hetfield also appears at number 8 while Hammett is absent. Guess who was rated number 1? Dave Mustaine!

Ever heard of an album called Cryptic Writings? Give it a listen, it will change your opinion.

It's not a sin at all. Just gay!
Let me have the last laugh by re-quoting what I said:
Quote:
Glad you brought that up since those three are the ONLY Megadeth albums I listen to - thank to brilliant guitar work by Marty Friedman and drum bashing by Nick Menza.
Note, I never said that these are the only albums I have ever listened to.

###

What would you say about Blues music - Old?

Ever heard about a "gayish" looking guy called Prince?
Heard his guitar playing??

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th January 2011 at 19:07.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:37   #544
BHPian

This is getting silly now.
Old 11th January 2011, 10:17   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I agree. That was pretty lame of Mustaine. He also refused to tour with Dissection and Rotting Christ because of his new found love of God. There was this whole fiasco where Dissection had threatened Mustaine and he had to hire extra security during that particular tour.

It's quite funny because Mustaine hasn't exactly been an angel himself. I can't help but quote " Sau choohe kha kar, billi hajj ko chali" :-)

Did you get to see the Big 4 live?
Live? I can only wish!

Saw the full concert on BluRay. But it was surprising not to see Slayer on stage when everyone else joined in to play Am i evil.

And Lars as egoistical as always had a full drum kit only for himself while the other drummers were given just that one snare or whatever it is you call that

Reminded me of a Manowar concert when they got in all their previous members and at the end played a thunderous song with everyone and all three drummers had full drum kits!

Whoa it sure was thunder on the ground \m/
Old 11th January 2011, 13:59   #546
BHPian

I'm actually flirting with the idea of going to France to see the Big 4 live this year. Let's see if that works out.

Speaking of Manowar, that's another band that I want to see live. some of their stuff leaves me with goosebumps, adrenalin and I just want to grab an axe and go to a battlefield.

@ Alpha: I've already made my point. End of debate. Don't take it personally dude!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 11th January 2011 at 14:03.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:05   #547
Senior - BHPian

Yes i know what you mean about Manowar
Old 12th January 2011, 01:22   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The eternal war between Metallica fans and Megadeth fans continues for well...eternity

Against Megadeth:

And as for Mustaine being a bad singer well so is Ozzy....
Yeah and it will continue dude!

The lines in bold are hilarious - in different ways. In fact, I still listen to some of Ozzy's old albums and they give me goosebumps!

So when's your next trip for some concert here?
Old 12th January 2011, 11:12   #549
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone watched Rusted Pieced documentary?
Talking about Mustaine's guitar skills, even I feel that his solos are pathetic, compared to his riffs. 'Holy Wars... Punishment Due' is perfect example. There is also Foreclosure Of A Dream.

Hangar 18 is my favourite song of Megadeth. Did Marty play all the solos? I think there are 16 mini solos there!
Old 12th January 2011, 12:40   #550
Senior - BHPian

^Most of those have the trademark Friedman licks and runs.
Some might have been done by Dave.

I still get goosebumps listening to the "Tornado of souls" - especially when Marty glides in with his solo.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:51   #551
BHPian

I've been listening to this band called Ghost from Sweden. They sound like '80's heavy metal. Thre's a huge King Diamond / Mercyful fate influence, musically and also in their Satanic gimmicks. I think they sound pretty cool and have a bit of a "pop" edge to the music. This is one example of how metal with pop can be pulled off tastefully.

Old 12th January 2011, 22:15   #552
Team-BHP Support

Metal Rules Released the best of 2010.

Metal-Rules.com Zine - Best of 2010

I am not sure if its the best site, but I get my regular metal dose and new band info from here. Accept and Guardian make as the best releases.
Old 13th January 2011, 14:26   #553
Senior - BHPian

good to see the list finally out!

been a regular visitor to that site. still remember how i downloaded everytime i die by COB [video] off that site and blew my brains away

@naveen when the big4 land up here or when JP drops by \m/
Old 13th January 2011, 14:26   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Metal Rules Released the best of 2010.

Metal-Rules.com Zine - Best of 2010

I am not sure if its the best site, but I get my regular metal dose and new band info from here. Accept and Guardian make as the best releases.
Amp,

Their best of list is inadequate. Why? Because some of the best critically acclaimed albums of 2010 aren't on the list. A few of these are:

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Orphaned Land - The Neverending way of the Orwarrior
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Burzum - Belus
Rotting Christ - Aealo
Shining - Blackjazz
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Kvelertak - S/T
Old 13th January 2011, 14:34   #555
Team-BHP Support

@WH, I frankly am not up to date with the best of metal sites.
As @deathwalkr said, I just keep visiting this site and I have found many a good/legendary bands, which I have not listened before.

Guardian is my personal favourite and I was happy to see them up there. The nightfall album (NFIME) and Somewhere Far Beyond (SFB) are some things which I have been listening to for a long long time. There new release was really up there.

Had no idea who "Accept" were (Pardon my Ignorance). Later I found they are real old timers. Gave a spin to Blood of Nations album today morning. I was really blown away by their music (Could not follow lyrics fully).

That way I have been finding new bands to listen to. Even Nightwish was a discovery like that for me and so was Iced Earth!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks