Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 17:57   #841
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

How was the Kreator gig, guys? Didn't anyone attend BOA?
Old 18th June 2012, 18:54   #842
BHPian

Couldn't make it, my ticket and back stage tour offer on 15th june wasted.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:54   #843
BHPian

^ Yep..Got back to Pune today morning..

pretty amazing show overall..I was really surprised (in a nice way) by some of the Indian bands. Bevar Sea (doom/heavy metal) was exceptional as was Kryptos (thrashy, melodic death) Totally Kick "beeped word", heavy and tight as hell.
Kryptos was amazing, Nolan was good on vocals and the twin guitar harmonies were like NWOBHM + thrash + melodic death all bundled together in a fantastic package. I will check these guys out more now.
Dying Embrace looked like they stepped out of an IT company and started playing death metal in the evening after getting out of their formal wear, but if you closed your eyes it was death metal perfection - just did not look much like a metal band and tried too hard to look the part.

I did not enjoy Albatross (guitarist was good but they kind of butchered 'Holy Diver') , 1833 AD and Eccentric Pendulum since I am not into that type of music.

Suidakra was amazing but then I did not have too many expectations. Absolutely crazy and energetic performance and the bagpipes added the right Celtic touch. The singer got the crowd totally hot and going - the drummer even crowd surfed! Also got to shake hands with the band members after they played their set - they walked down the "gangway" dividing the crowd into 2 sections.

Kreator - well, I went 900km to see them (and Iced Earth!) and they did not disappoint. Raw, fast and aggressive as usual (even in his late 40s, Mille is something)..my neck still hurts - that's all you need to know :

Dislikes - Very small crowd - I was there for Maiden in 2007 and that was huge..here the ground seemed empty from far away. Not a good thing if they want this BOA thing to continue - definitely need more established bands and not to have stupidity like change of venue, change of headliners and so on next time..My guess is around 5-6k people only!

Also idiots starting mosh pits on the side where nobody was moshing..there already was a pit on the other side, I failed to understand why 4/5 guys could not go there and hurt themselves silly rather than pushing people like me who only wanted to enjoy the music and the finally getting to see one of the bands he is been a fan of for years. (and headbang, but you had to keep an eye out as some idiot might just crash into you from behind, very distracting)

Venue - Very difficult to get there even though they did arrange buses from Mekhri Circle which was good of them... Overall good arrangements but I doubt they would have held up for a much larger crowd.

Very long holdups between bands was a downer...soundchecks/setups which ran for 10-15 minutes or more, the same silly song being played as filler by the organizers got on my nerves....ac/dc and one another song all day!!! One of the worst parts was after Suidakra had gotten the crowd really going, we had to waiti 45 , yes 45 minutes before Kreator finally appeared at 9.05pm. Boring as hell. Soundchecks going on and on (guitar and drum techs not the band members) and then some silly lighting problems. They kept on changing the lights and cables and what not - this was inexcusable delay really all this could have sorted out a day before or even earlier. Even after this the lighting was crap..especially too much red light on band members with their faces in darkness.

Kreator did not play Riot of Violence (!!!) and played Hordes of Chaos and a couple off the new album (Phanton Antichrist). Rest of the set list was the usual stuff (Pleasure to Kill, Extreme Aggression, Terrible Certainty, Violent Revolution, Enemy of God, People of the Lie). Would have liked to see more of the older stuff like Betrayer/Tormentor even Coma of Souls. They also ended abruptly at 10.15 (I guess the police being around) with no encore :\

All in all a great show, loved Bevar Sea, Kryptos, Suidakra and even though there were few problems with sound/light for Kreator (the bass was louder than the lead guitar!) it was still...KKKKKKRRRRREEAAAAAATOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRR !

I know I am sounding like a 18/20 yr old with all this, while I am a much much older and supposedly mature guy haha but being a metalhead for more than 20 yrs, age is no bar right?

check out a video on YT playing Terrible Certainty at BOA.
Old 18th June 2012, 21:53   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^ Yep..Got back to Pune today morning..
Thats a great review!

So I assume you were on the left side, where those fools started moshing instead of going to the right. You can't blame them can you? Mille said,' I want one circle pit on the left side and one on the right side' (in a German accent).

I was there on the left as well, next to the side railing 5-6 rows back. HB'ing in a concert in rain was a new experience and it was heavenly. My Neck doesn't agree though.

Overall BOA is an excellent idea, execution got flawed thanks to the setbacks but it can definitely turn out into something amazing.

The ridiculous turnout was the biggest bummer. I have been to several concerts and you probably have been to even more than me, so you would agree that the crowd plays one of the most important roles in building up the atmosphere and pumping up everyone including the performers! Apparently there were only 1200 odd people at BOA.

I was there at 10:30 with my friends and I could literally count the number of people there at that time. I kept hoping it would fill up but it didnt.

Kryptos & Suidakra's frontman are playing in palace grounds the coming sunday, so Ill be there for that \m/

EDIT: forgot to mention, splendid performance by Kreator. Though melodic DM is my favorite genre, I thoroughly enjoyed the TM gods Kreator is!

Last edited by superutp : 18th June 2012 at 22:00.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:20   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Thats a great review!

So I assume you were on the left side, where those fools started moshing instead of going to the right. You can't blame them can you? Mille said,' I want one circle pit on the left side and one on the right side' (in a German accent).
I was on the left for Kreator and Suidakra but on the right side for all others.
Yeah Mille was going "India, circle pits, NOWWWW!!' lol

Quote:
The ridiculous turnout was the biggest bummer. .....Apparently there were only 1200 odd people at BOA.

<snip>
I was there at 10:30 with my friends and I could literally count the number of people there at that time. I kept hoping it would fill up but it didnt.
I felt there were more people, maybe around 3-4k....but 1200? **** how did they manage to pay the bands?yeah same, i was hoping that people make it atleast when Suidakra came on...what the hell was wrong? did IE pulling out freak out a lot of folks who were planning on coming earlier or the venue change (for locals atleast)

Quote:
Kryptos & Suidakra's frontman are playing in palace grounds the coming sunday, so Ill be there for that \m/

EDIT: forgot to mention, splendid performance by Kreator. Though melodic DM is my favorite genre, I thoroughly enjoyed the TM gods Kreator is!
enjoy! both the bands were amazing that night.

and yes, Thrash/heavy metal being my favourite genres I had no problems enjoying Kreator (now maybe they should team up with Sodom and Destruction for a thrash fest in India, haha very wishful)
as it is, even if you may not like a certain band or style, when its played live and loud, you most likely enjoy it regardless!

Can't feel anything but pride in being a part of something extraordinary going on, the crowd, the energy and the brilliant skills on display by talented and dedicated musicians.

Last edited by Abhay : 19th June 2012 at 10:25.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:20   #846
Team-BHP Support

New Knopfler solo album dishing out this September

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private...Knopfler_album)
Old 6th July 2012, 08:52   #847
BHPian

err not exactly heavy metal is it?
(Not to say I don't enjoy a bit of Dire Straits from time to time)

on topic, Testament new album will be out at the end of July (Dark roots of the Earth)
don't have a lot of hopes after their last one though.
Old 6th July 2012, 09:03   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
err not exactly heavy metal is it?
Very true
But yes even I enjoy that guy's music. In fact I got introduced to Dire Straits
after I listened to his solo albums! The one which got me hooked was Sailing to Philadelphia.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:32   #849
Senior - BHPian

The new manowar album is out sounds good
Old 24th July 2012, 21:53   #850
Team-BHP Support

Check out the following for app for internet radio (not sure how many are already aware of it). Amazing set of heavy metal stations.

(Available for android/iphone/BB/Windows)

Found it thanks to my friend.

Mobile Devices
Old 12th August 2012, 21:03   #851
BHPian

So KoRN is coming to Mumbai, Bangalore and Gurgaon.

I'm aware that band isn't much liked in the metal fraternity as such, but yeah, they do have some of those songs you can headbang to. Plus the new single - Way too Far is also good, the video has some awesome rides as well

So, any Bhpians planning to attend the Mumbai Show ?
Old 12th August 2012, 21:41   #852
Team-BHP Support

I'll probably be attending Korn in Bangalore. Not a great fan or anything but I did enjoy a few of their songs back in school. I wouldn't be upset if I don't get passes though.
Old 12th August 2012, 22:24   #853
BHPian

I might go for the Korn gig in Gurgaon. Felt really bad after the Metallica debacle here, so lets hope this turns out well.

Anybody here listens to Callejon? An online contact recommended the band, ans they are awesome!
Old 13th August 2012, 10:11   #854
Senior - BHPian

didn't they do a cover of wherever i may roam?
Old 13th August 2012, 17:46   #855
Senior - BHPian

I got the following email from BookMyShow.
I hate the way JD sings, so I am not going.
You could hurry up for this ;-)
----------------------------------

Fantastic news, music lovers! The pioneers of nu-metal are headed to India for the first time, on a three-city tour across Gurgaon, Mumbai and Bengaluru. Korn will storm India as part of their world-wide promotion tour of their latest album, 'The Path of Totality' which redefines modern music by fusing metal with electronic dance music/dubstep/drum-and-bass.

But that's not all! We have something special in store for you.
Early Bird bookings get a Rs. 500 discount on general and premium category tickets. This offer is valid only until August 19, 2012, so don't miss out on this exciting opportunity, and book now.

Attachment 968861
Attached Images

Last edited by rohanjf : 13th August 2012 at 17:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks