Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 10:55   #946
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Ever since I saw TesseracT live at GIR I've been hooked and now they've come out with a new album. Not exactly heavy metal though.

And the old album

Also check out Amogh Symphony. Vishal J Singh is a seriously talented guy!
Old 7th August 2013, 11:24   #947
BHPian

ok then....why is it so quiet in here?

been listening to a couple of new albums from two classic bands...both albums are pretty good. To all those who like old school death metal, check out Autopsy's The Headless Ritual and the new Carcass album, Surgical Steel (stylistically similar to Heartwork era)
Old 7th August 2013, 12:05   #948
Team-BHP Support

Cranking-up RATM these days. Killing In The Name Of, Bulls On Parade, Sleep Now In The Fire.. Takes me back to a time when the only thing that worried us was the amount of homework we got in school. What a band! So badass!

\m/
Old 7th August 2013, 13:18   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched Anvil yesterday (have it on DVD). It is the poignant tale of a band that so deserved to be in the Big 4 of Thrash but didn't. Metallica, Anthrax and Slayer members in fact appear in the documentary musing over this very point. The music sounds evil, will try and source it online and give it a listen.

PS>> On a related note, though it is an actual documentary, Anvil has so many resemblances to This is Spinal Tap that it's not funny. Rob Reiner's 1983 mockumentary classic about a fictional has-been British heavy rock band is one of my all-time favourite movies about music.

PPS>> Trivia: Stuff you cannot make up. Anvil's drummer and founding member featured prominently in the documentary is named Robb Reiner
Old 7th August 2013, 19:18   #950
Senior - BHPian

@Noopster: watched it many months back. was a feel good documentary and little words of critics were that most of it like the ending was all hogwash...ah well

@suhaas: i just dumped a few of RATM songs into my car playlist! good stuff.

New powerwolf album was ok, new megadeth album was so so, new sabbath album was good. need to listen to more Sabaton. what a blast those guys are!

Some offbeat bands which caught my ears were circle of silence, civil war, vendetta, paragon and brainstorm
Old 8th August 2013, 00:24   #951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

@suhaas: i just dumped a few of RATM songs into my car playlist! good stuff
I love the band's energy. De la Rocha is pumped, and Morello's experimental guitar-work is enjoyable. But the rapping gets tedious after a certain point, and I find myself quickly switching to something else. Love them though, RATM.

I just loaded my phone with Rush's 2112 and a few albums by The Black Keys. Let's see how it goes.

Guys, have you listen to the following bands and if so, what do you'll think?:

- Yes
- Queensryche

BTW I nearly fell for Ozzy's death-hoax that had spread like wildfire on Facebook. *blush*
Old 8th August 2013, 09:43   #952
Senior - BHPian

Revolution calling, i dont believe in love, walk in the shadows, queen of the reich are all staples in my playlist what a voice! The new singer sounds oh so similar to tate. pretty good album compared to a few of their previous ones...

Yes goes beyond my head :P
Old 8th August 2013, 11:05   #953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I just loaded my phone with Rush's 2112 and a few albums by The Black Keys. Let's see how it goes.
All Rush ! The best ones are the first layer (late 70s to early 80s till they turned key board oriented). ST, 2112, Hemisphere, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

Quote:
- Yes
All Yes (well almost). Its through them I got to know of Bill Brufford and hence got to hear Robert Fripp and company for whom, Brufford played for some time (Album : Descipline)

Classic Yes and Tales from Topographic ocean are standout (So are Close to the Edge and Drama).

Quote:
- Queensryche
All the essentials. Once by mistake I ordered a DVD of album Empire. I thought it was video. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was a DVD 5.1 audio. And now imagine 10 years back in time, when we had less of those portable players, Ipod was not that famous and I had a 5.1 DVD Audio album, a bachelor's time to spend, Harmon Kardon AVR and a pair of JBL Northridges! along with the rest to complete a home theater setup.

The room sure rocked!
Old 8th August 2013, 11:23   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All Rush ! The best ones are the first layer (late 70s to early 80s till they turned key board oriented). ST, 2112, Hemisphere, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.
The live albums are also superb. I have All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left which between them cover the "golden era". Don't miss Sam Dunn's brilliant docu-tribute to the band "Beyond the Lighted Stage" either.

Suhaas, since you dig Crimson, I think Yes will be a breeze for you. My problem is that I heard Yes too early (7th grade, can you believe it!!) Never got into them much after that.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:28   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The live albums are also superb. I have All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left which between them cover the "golden era". Don't miss Sam Dunn's brilliant docu-tribute to the band "Beyond the Lighted Stage" either.
Yes heard all of them too. The documentary is super cool. The only live show I did not like was Rush in Rio, which I thought should be awesome, knowing the production quality they get. But the audio was quite poor. The crowd noise was too high and Geddy's voice totally got lost. I think they bungled up in post production. I had very high hopes on that album. Mainly because the crowd participation is awesome to say the least. And also since some time earlier I had bought Maiden's Rock in Rio and that was one of the best live shows I had ever seen then(on DVD of course!). (It ranks among the best even now in my list. )
Old 8th August 2013, 11:46   #956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Revolution calling, i dont believe in love, walk in the shadows, queen of the reich are all staples in my playlist what a voice!
Thanks! *thumbs up*

Quote:
Yes goes beyond my head :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All Rush ! The best ones are the first layer (late 70s to early 80s till they turned key board oriented)

All Yes (well almost). Its through them I got to know of Bill Brufford and hence got to hear Robert Fripp and company for whom, Brufford played for some time (Album : Descipline)

Quote:
Rush is pretty awesome! Thanks for the list ampere and noopster. *thumbs up*

Quote:
since you dig Crimson, I think Yes will be a breeze for you. My problem is that I heard Yes too early (7th grade, can you believe it!!) Never got into them much after that
Yeah, King Crimson gets better with every listen. In fact, some would say my obsession now borders on unhealthy levels. Even though KC isn't 'metal' in the strictest sense, there is an underlying heaviness in their music that you just can't escape. It's fantastic. If Yes is anything like KC, I should be hooked in no time.
Old 8th August 2013, 12:01   #957
Senior - BHPian

Some tracks which gets my fist pumping...
  • Vendetta: Killing time
  • Reverence: Revolution rising
  • Paragon: Gods of thunder
  • Amon Amarth: Slaves of fear [god what a riff]
  • Battle Beast: Justice and metal
  • Beautiful sin: Spark of ignition [what a voice]
  • Bloodbound - In The Name Of Metal
  • Carlos Santana & Jacoby Shaddix - Smoke On the Water
  • Chimaira - Disposable Heroes
  • Doro - Metal Tango
  • Drowning Pool - Rebell Yell
  • Holy Grail - My last attack
  • Kittie - Cut Throat
  • Lordi - Devil's a loser
  • Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name [drumming as it should have been!]
  • Newsted - Soldierhead
  • Nickelback - Burn It to the Ground
  • Pain - Bye-Die
  • Powerwolf - Die, Die, Crucified
  • Powerwolf - Resurrection By Erection [yes that is the title :P]
  • Sabaton - Ghost Division [glorious noise!]
  • Scheepers - Remission Of Sin
  • Sister Sin - End Of The Line
  • Tenacious D - Beelzeboss (The final showdown)
  • Thy Majestie - In God We Trust (Styper Cover)
  • Tony Iommi feat. Glenn Hughes - Let It Down Easy
  • Tribuzy - Beast in the light [bruce dickinson pushing to the limits]

and the list goes on and on
Old 8th August 2013, 12:25   #958
Team-BHP Support

No takers for the bards? Their love for Mr Tolkien is awesome. Nightfall in Middle Earth is one of the best albums I have listened. Beautiful muti-tracked creations and melodies. Meanwhile I found this on youtube (Accoustic of a song from Somewhere Far Beyond). I think I posted it earlier too but not sure.

Old 8th August 2013, 13:01   #959
Senior - BHPian

@ampere: find blind guardian a bit hard to digest at times...nice songs but when it comes up in my playlist i find myself skipping it...maybe because can't take too much of his voice.

But amazing singalong choruses these guys have. the live performance of the bard's song has the whole crowd singing the song which was awesome
Old 8th August 2013, 21:11   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ampere: find blind guardian a bit hard to digest at times...nice songs but when it comes up in my playlist i find myself skipping it...maybe because can't take too much of his voice.
May be the reason I love them is because, the voice delivery matches the Tolkien genre. And you are true, that one cant listen to them for ever. Its too hard. But I take that hardness only for the melody.

So I mostly mix and match their good ones on the playlist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks