Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 14:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Am a big fan of Heavy Metal and havent missed out any concerts in India.
My Fav albums are:
-GNR - Appetite for Destruction
-Metallica - Ride the Lightning
- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
- Iron Maiden - Fear of Dark
Old 30th July 2009, 15:01   #92
Team-BHP Support

hillram, those bands are not heavy metal but Hard Rock bands.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I dont like heavy metals , give me headache . Like instrumental .
Heavy metals ?... like the thud sound when you bang the fiat car door ?
Sorry to say, but I disagree with you black12rr. Though it's an acquired taste, most Metal music is very rich in terms of multilayered complex musical structures and which takes tremendous skill and technical precision to execute.

The best part about metal is that all musical content is composed and performed by the band themselves who also write their own lyrics. Many metal albums are sagas or concept albums that actually have a concept or storyline which the bands narrate through the songwriting, music and artwork. So it's not just the music but other elements such as the philosophy, artwork, skill, lyrical concepts, personal histrory of the band that makes up for a completerly satisfying and wonderful musical experience that few other genre's of music would offer.

Finaly like I said it's an acquired taste however if one doesnt like the noisy elements of metal of death metal, Black Metal , industrial or Doom metal, there's a plethora of relatively melodic sub-genres such as gothiic, symphonic, prog, power metal. Heck there's even a metal band called Apocalyptica that plays music with violins and cellos without any guitars.

Metal as a genre is very poplular all over europe, north and south america. Though India has it's share people who appreciate metal as well as local metal bands the mainstream media here completely ignores metal. Here, bollywood and brain numbing regurgitated western commercial music reigns supreme and hence the ignorance.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:18   #94
BHPian

Somebody mention Manowar? Awesome band, man.....one of my all time favorites. Everything from "Heart of Steel" to "Warriors of the World". A few more:

Godsmack: Faceless is a rocking album
System of a Down: Chopsuey anyone?
Papa Roach: Nu Metal. Between angels and insects.....
Rammstein: I dunno which genre these guys belong to, and I cannot make out any of the lyrics. Music is hair-raisingly good though
Pantera: An old fave.....Cowboys from hell. Listen to their rendition of 'Paranoid' sometime....

Not much into death metal, although I do sample Slayer, Amorphis, Anathema, Children of Bodom etc. sometimes.

Quote:
Heavy metals ?... like the thud sound when you bang the fiat car door ?
LOL....and I own a Palio to boot:P
Old 30th July 2009, 15:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Am a big fan of Heavy Metal and havent missed out any concerts in India.
My Fav albums are:
-GNR - Appetite for Destruction
-Metallica - Ride the Lightning
- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
- Iron Maiden - Fear of Dark
Fear of the Dark is one of my GF's favorite maiden albums and I quite like it too. If you like Metallica I must suggest that you try listening to Megadeth and Testament as well. All of these bands originated in the Sanfrancisco bay area Trash metal scene during the 80's and set very high standards back then. Though Metallica went completely downhill after the Black Album Megadeth has made a great comeback with their last two albums which kick A$$!!

If you like your trash metal ultra fast and evil I would also recommend old Slayer, one of my all time favorite bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Somebody mention Manowar? Awesome band, man.....one of my all time favorites. Everything from "Heart of Steel" to "Warriors of the World". A few more:

Godsmack: Faceless is a rocking album
System of a Down: Chopsuey anyone?
Papa Roach: Nu Metal. Between angels and insects.
Rammstein: I dunno which genre these guys belong to, and I cannot make out any of the lyrics. Music is hair-raisingly good though
Pantera: An old fave. Cowboys from hell. Listen to their rendition of 'Paranoid' sometime.

Not much into death metal, although I do sample Slayer, Amorphis, Anathema, Children of Bodom etc. sometimes.

LOL....and I own a Palio to boot:P
yeah dude,

Heart Of Steel is my personal Anthem. not very heavy yet the most awesomely powerful songs ever performed!!!

Cant say much about the 1st 3 bands as I'm not into nu metal however Rammstein kick A$$. You could say that they're industrial electronic metal.

Pantera as usual were awesome. Dimebag's death was a huge loss, dude was a great player!!!! RIP Dime!

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2009 at 15:34. Reason: Please use multi quotes option. Back to back posts. Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 15:57   #96
BHPian

Though I'm more into Alternative Rock, I do have some Heavy Metal Favorites too like
> AC/DC
> Iron Maiden
> Skidrow

Skidrow is a recent discovery and "I remember you" is my current favourite.

PS: Somebody mentioned Decibel, I've heard only their "The Lady Cobra" track, really awesome guitar in that track.

Last edited by five46 : 1st August 2009 at 16:01.
Old 1st August 2009, 19:48   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Love them. I would classify them more as industrial.

I do get some lyrics (all songs in German) and Jenny hates their guts. They so rock.
Old 2nd August 2009, 00:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Anyone heard Dream Theater's new album - Black Clouds and Silver Linings?

Mind blowing stuff - after a string of so so albums, this one is really nice. I just bought the Vinyl version from amazon after being completely floored by it.

The 20 min Count of Tuscany is insanely good - heavily recommended.
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:57   #99
Team-BHP Support

I cant be that old. I actually recognise many of the names mentioned on this thread although I must admit that my tastes are not as extreme as say Sam's. For the elders here do you have trouble following the lyrics on the new stuff? When I was in the teens and tweenies I had no trouble picking up lyrics (many of which are firmly and maybe permenantly embedded in my head) but today I do. Chord-Tab notations and lyrics of the new stuff just does not stick (in my head) as well.
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Judas Priest-Turbo Lover,Beyond the realms of death,Touch of evil....
few things come close.Period.
X Japan-Art of life....
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:34   #101
BHPian

I have been trying to recollect a Japanese band for quite some time now, either hard rock or metal, can't classify now that I seem to remember nothing else than that they used to sound good!

Grew up on JP, IM, Sabbath, Manowar and the realms of Odin and Valhalla and I am still growing up I should say. Painkiller is my all time fav. album, it was almighty depressing to see Rob Halford on a recent youtube video, we all are ageing pretty fast it seems..
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:06   #102
BHPian

Anyone for Alrune Mandragora?
This Nordic band was my favorite during college days among others like Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Sepultura, Slayer, Motorhead, Pentagram, Megadeth, Metallica, Napalm Death, Obituary.

Lately I've mellowed down a lot though
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:53   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Love them. I would classify them more as industrial.

I do get some lyrics (all songs in German) and Jenny hates their guts. They so rock.
If you dig Rammstein you may wanna give Unheilig a try. The music is more melodic kind like Rammstein Lite. Not too bad however.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:26   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I have been trying to recollect a Japanese band for quite some time now, either hard rock or metal, can't classify now that I seem to remember nothing else than that they used to sound good!

Grew up on JP, IM, Sabbath, Manowar and the realms of Odin and Valhalla and I am still growing up I should say. Painkiller is my all time fav. album, it was almighty depressing to see Rob Halford on a recent Youtube video, we all are ageing pretty fast it seems..
I've been listening to this japanese band called "Sigh" which is pretty diverse and very hard to classify. Maybe it's the same one.

Ihsan from Emperor was asked to name the perfect metal song ever and he nmed Painkiller .........it has all the elements of a great metal song.....screams......great drumming.........awesome solos etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Anyone for Alrune Mandragora?
This Nordic band was my favorite during college days among others like Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Sepultura, Slayer, Motorhead, Pentagram, Megadeth, Metallica, Napalm Death, Obituary.

Lately I've mellowed down a lot though
I must say, youre a man of good taste sir!! I love most of the bands that you mentioned. I remember during my college days I would always take a rickshaw with a cassette deck and ask the driver to play my Obituary tapes. As soon as the music started and john tardy growled, the rickshaw drivers would say " Saab aapka casseette kharab ho gaya hai"
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:54   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rammstein is Industrial Metal. They form part of the New German Hard (Neue Deutsche Harte) scene - or whatever that is. For me they are a kick-a$$ German Metal band. Though I am not a big fan of their live act.

If you like Rammstein, you should try the following bands as well - Oomph and Megaherz. I have also sampled a few songs from another German heavy metal group called - Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - seems good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks