Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 11:41   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Thanks Wildy. Now to get me some time to go through these bands. Did a sample of Bedlam's 1973 album on YouTube and initial impressions are promising

Did you listen to Coven: Wicked Woman?
Old 16th February 2019, 12:01   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Thanks Wildy. Now to get me some time to go through these bands. Did a sample of Bedlam's 1973 album on YouTube and initial impressions are promising

Did you listen to Coven: Wicked Woman?
Glad to know you already enjoying some of my music recommendations. Yes, I know Coven and had already listened them.

BTW, here it goes one more rare band for you i.e. Comus debut album. An acoustic magic which could haunt you forever.

For more of them, you may see the following link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comus_(band)

Old 16th February 2019, 12:14   #1203
BHPian

From now onwards my experimental and progressive and lesser known bands recommendations would be in the following thread.

Please follow this...

(Progressive Rock, Fusion, Avant Garde & Experimental Music Recommendations)Progressive Rock/Krautrock/Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Avant Garde/Experimental etc Music Recommendations

Regards,
Raaj
Old 18th February 2019, 12:02   #1204
BHPian

Chicago band is known for some pop ballads such as "Hard to sam I'm Sorry", "If you leave me now" etc. But in early 70's, they were super cool hard rock band with unique big brass section backup.

From this period, "25 or 6 to 4" song is worth to mention, especially for the killer guitar solo by Terry Kath on Fender Stratocaster with effective use of Wah-Wah Pedal. This was recorded in 1970, but after all these years, its still a bliss to play this song. Pay attention to the infectious guitar solo from the 3rd minute on wards.

Enjoy, Raaj
Old 18th February 2019, 12:39   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Dio was a part of my journey through metal back in high school-college days. The first time i heard Holy Diver i was just blown away \m/

I actually prefer his solo and rainbow works compared to his sabbath days.
Ronnie James Dio was a great singer. Again, I too was hooked to him after hearing the eternal "Holydiver". I clearly remember going to Old Delhi (Chandni Chowk -- maybe mid 90's) for some work. And finding a dusty "tape" album. Oh wow. What an experience it was listening to it. "Rainbow in the Dark" is another song I cherished.

And of course one of the best:

Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil

You would know the song/band..!
Old 18th February 2019, 12:48   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Ronnie James Dio was a-------SNI----band..!

I only started on Dio a few months back after hearing Jesus Mary and the holy ghost.
I hadn't even heard dio before, and used to think they were a late 70s band. Couldn't believe they made THAT sound (JMHG) inn 93!
Old 18th February 2019, 12:55   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Ronnie James Dio was a great singer....
Iam too fan of Ronnie James Dio. But personally I prefer DIO and Rainbow outputs of him than Black Sabbath or Heaven & Hell bands.

This discussion reminds me a short review I wrote on one song composed by him. Here it goes,

In 1985, metal singer Mr. Ronnie James Dio wanted to contribute for the famine Africa through the funds raised by some special song. And here it goes, We're Stars, the superb eternal classic song with all star Rock/Metal lineup. Just watch it to believe it. Those days are over. Good music never gonna happen like this.

Old 18th February 2019, 13:35   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Iam too fan of Ronnie James Dio. But personally I prefer DIO and Rainbow outputs of him than Black Sabbath or Heaven & Hell bands.
Thanks for the video!

Oh yes, the super band/group "Rainbow". With the legendary guitar-god (call him a brat boy) of yore, Ritchie Blackmore. RB+RJD = what more could one ask for. But sadly, nothing could work (for long) with Ritchie Blackmore at the helm. They did belt out great songs though. "Catch the Rainbow" is such a classic. Each time I hear it, got to rewind and hear it again.
Agree, RJD clearly shone once he had his own setup post-Elf. True artist.

Heaven and Hell is a great song!

Last edited by asingh1977 : 18th February 2019 at 13:39.
Old 18th February 2019, 14:04   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the video!

But sadly, nothing could work (for long) with Ritchie Blackmore at the helm.
Welcome.

After the initial success of Rainbow in Europe, particularly in Germany, Blackmore suddenly fall in love getting more money and want to make the band's sound in the vain of Foreigner. But, DIO didn't accepted that and left the band for good.

BTW, at the end of Ronnie's life, he made one studio album with Iommi and Butler under the moniker of Heaven & Hell. The album name is The Devil You know which followed by a couple of live albums. Please do check them. They are terrific and perfect goodbye ones, IMHO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_%26_Hell_(band)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_De...%26_Hell_album)

Old 18th February 2019, 14:41   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post

BTW, at the end of Ronnie's life, he made one studio album with Iommi and Butler under the moniker of Heaven & Hell. The album name is The Devil You know which followed by a couple of live albums. Please do check them. They are terrific and perfect goodbye ones, IMHO.

Oh wow. I never knew a band like this existed. What a way to a last parting shot, must say. Thanks again, for sharing this.

Coming back, Ritchie Blackmore was always an axe-grinder who wanted to overshadow the lyricist. This happens many times with talented lead vs. guitarist set ups, battle for the front-man. And then bands have twin-lead attacks. These guys were literally Gods during the times: When live shows ruled over cassette/LP sales. What times.
Old 18th February 2019, 16:46   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Except for a handful of Dio ero Sabbath songs [Heaven & Hell, I being some], i like to believe Dio on his own really shone. He was a good fit in Rainbow but not so much in Sabbath. Especially since Dio and Ozzy had that rivalry where they wouldn't sing each other's songs on tour.

I am pretty sure Ozzy didn't but did Dio sing any Ozzy songs on Stage?

On that topic, listening to Ian Gillian singing Ozzy era songs when he was with Sabbath was fun

Rob Halford did a few concerts for Sabbath when the Ozzman was sick. That was interesting as well.

Didn't like the Heaven & Hell - Devil you know album all that much.

Guess for me, Sabbath would always be with Ozzy on Vox, followed by Tony Martin

The cover version of "I" by Tyr was pretty good. So were their covers of Where Eagles Dare and Cemetery Gates

Last edited by deathwalkr : 18th February 2019 at 16:49.
Old 18th February 2019, 17:08   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow. I never knew a band like this existed. What a way to a last parting shot, must say. Thanks again, for sharing this.

Coming back, Ritchie Blackmore was always an axe-grinder who wanted to overshadow the lyricist.
Welcome. Hope you like them. Personally, I don't like Dio's era with Black Sabbath. But these last albums are pretty good, especially they are more into Prog Metal with fantasy lyrics.

Yes, Blackmore has huge ego which killed the groups like Deep Purple and Rainbow.

Quote:
Dio sing any Ozzy songs on Stage?
Dio performed lots of songs from Ozzy era during his stay with Sabbath. As expected, they aren't fit for DIO style as Ozzy sings like a sinister where as DIO sings with full throttle with fantasy and medieval feeling. Both are different and they are Gods in their own style.
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:40   #1213
BHPian

Very innovative version of Eagles' Hotel California song by Gipsy Kings in Flamenco style released in 1990. Absolutely brilliant work. Enjoy and have a good day.

Enjoy, Raaj.

Old 22nd February 2019, 20:26   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for a handful of Dio ero Sabbath songs [Heaven & Hell, I being some], i like to believe Dio on his own really shone. He was a good fit in Rainbow but not so much in Sabbath. Especially since Dio and Ozzy had that rivalry where they wouldn't sing each other's songs on tour.

I am pretty sure Ozzy didn't but did Dio sing any Ozzy songs on Stage?

Guess for me, Sabbath would always be with Ozzy on Vox
I like em both. Dio and Ozzy. I like Ozzy more though. In fact, I am planning to watch him live - probably one of his last concerts.

I thought Dio was awesome with Rainbow too. Ah the glory days of good ol Rock n Roll.

Btw, any of you guys like Greta van Fleet? I love Led Zep so I naturally found this band awesome too! Heh, got tickets for their concert - just a walk away from office.

Old 22nd February 2019, 21:25   #1215
BHPian

Steve Vai & Malmsteen & Zakk Wylde & Nuno Bettencourt perform Bohemian Rhapsody on their guitars.
This is a masterclass by the greats.
Nuno Bettencourt still rocks his black nail polish.

And Green Day crowd sings Bohemian Rhapsody - note for note @ Hyde Park July 1st, 2017. Awesome crowd.

Last edited by Ithaca : 22nd February 2019 at 21:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks