BHPian

Re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Also, when it comes to Tool, Right in Two is the bomb
Attaching a beautiful Indian cover -
lancia_fanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 13:56   #1367
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting the next album of Metallica - 72 Seasons. Its been over 6 years since the last album was released and it has been quite a wait. They released a couple of tracks and both are quite good to listen to. Sounds like vintage Metallica

Old 20th February 2023, 14:24   #1368
BHPian

Listening to Patient No 9. What an album, what a bunch of men playing. I cant stop listening and they show us that age is a number and health is just a state of mind

Ozzy had a couple of mishaps and setbacks in the last few years. A couple of surgerys, one which nearly cost him his mobility, another one to correct it and finally onset of Parkinson's has debilitated him.

But creativity and the zest for life has not reduced. Last seen in NFL in Sep, his performance still had the same zest, less of running, but the singing remained the same. I am told that he had to be propped up using a device since his hips were not their 100%. But what a performance it was. Also, i believe he is not able to speak clearly, but when it comes to singing - he does it and in style.

And finally his new album scores a Grammy. What a man!

subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 15:02   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Eagerly awaiting the next album of Metallica - 72 Seasons. Its been over 6 years since the last album was released and it has been quite a wait. They released a couple of tracks and both are quite good to listen to. Sounds like vintage Metallica
I'm a huge fan. I grew up listening to Metallica. I watched them live in Bangalore back in 2011. A privilege. A night I will never forget.

They do sound a lot better. After the absolute low of St. Anger, the graph seems to be slowly climbing back up again. However it doesn't seem to be anywhere close to peak Metallica: the trifecta of Lighting, Puppets and Justice. I've always wondered what would have happened if they hadn't moved towards more mainstream metal sound after Justice. Cliff Burton's untimely death has played a role in dumbing them down.

I hope they have another Master of Puppets up their sleeves before they hang their boots up. What an album that was.

ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 15:19   #1370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I'm a huge fan.---SNIP---- After the absolute low of St. Anger, the graph seems to be slowly climbing back up again. 0[/url]
I would be happy with another St. Anger, even. Just not another death magnetic.
And one more S&M to wrap it all up, if they plan to do so.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 16:31   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Loved the intro to Lux Eterna and what i think is a nod to Diamond Head "Lightning to the Nations"

Screaming suicide took some time to grow on me, Het's voice felt a bit weird to me, but it's a good song.

Quote:
Listening to Patient No 9. What an album, what a bunch of men playing. I cant stop listening and they show us that age is a number and health is just a state of mind
Ozzy is just crazy amazing! Couldn't care less if the track was pre recorded as many rumours claim to be, just seeing him having fun on stage is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I'm a huge fan. I grew up listening to Metallica. I watched them live in Bangalore back in 2011. A privilege. A night I will never forget.

They do sound a lot better. After the absolute low of St. Anger, the graph seems to be slowly climbing back up again. However it doesn't seem to be anywhere close to peak Metallica: the trifecta of Lighting, Puppets and Justice. I've always wondered what would have happened if they hadn't moved towards more mainstream metal sound after Justice. Cliff Burton's untimely death has played a role in dumbing them down.

I hope they have another Master of Puppets up their sleeves before they hang their boots up. What an album that was.
Wouldn't really call it dumbing down, slowed down a bit perhaps? And while taking nothing away from Burton's massive bass, Newsted was no slouch either. Just that he got to absorb most of the venting and frustration by the rest of the band. And Newsted live was a monster. Dude had manic energy and will always like listening to him sing live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I would be happy with another St. Anger, even. Just not another death magnetic.
And one more S&M to wrap it all up, if they plan to do so.
Heh Heh, St Anger had some amazing hard hitting riffs, but the tin drums and the lack of guitar leads really hit a low.

Just listen to this version remade by a musician named Daryl Gardner:

Me? I'm happy Metallica is trying to Thrash with each new album that comes out but my idols Maiden are getting more and more progressive.

And Megadeth's The Sick The Dying and The Dead has some amazing songs as well. Cant wait to see their reunion with Marty in Japan. That will be amazing.
Old 20th February 2023, 20:19   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Wouldn't really call it dumbing down, slowed down a bit perhaps? And while taking nothing away from Burton's massive bass, Newsted was no slouch either. Just that he got to absorb most of the venting and frustration by the rest of the band. And Newsted live was a monster. Dude had manic energy and will always like listening to him sing live.
Jason was a unacknowledged beast. It took a long time for for James and Lars to finally acknowledge the wrongs that they had done to him. By then it was too late. Thankfully Rob got a far warmer welcome to the band. He is one incredible bass player too.

Tuning Jason's bass down deliberately in Justice was especially tragic. Thankfully one outraged fan gave us a glimpse of what could have been.

ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:58   #1373
Senior - BHPian

On this international women's day I will like to introduce you guys (if you haven't heard of them before) an all girl rock band "The Warning".

A couple of their rocking tracks.

1.Choke.

2. Money.

Do check them out. They were recently invited by Guns N Roses as an opening act in one of their tours.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:55   #1374
BHPian

Surprised no one seems to have mentioned While She Sleeps - one of my absolute favourites.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 11:17   #1375

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2023 at 15:25. Reason: Correcting YouTube url
Old 1st July 2023, 23:30   #1376
BHPian

I had the pleasure of attending Spectral Tendencies Bangalore, a metal show at Gilly's Fandom Koramangala (you had to pay a cover charge of Rs 500 which was redeemable of F&B inside the venue) on 25/06/2023 featuring three of India's most neck snapping bands and an extremely talented Solo artist from Germany.

The lineup is as follows:
Obliterating Vortex (Darjeeling., West Bengal)
Chaos (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala)
Fountainhead aka Tom Geldschläger (Germany) and
Gutslit (Mumbai, Maharashtra)

Man what a show. The crowd was a little thin at the start of Obliterating Vortex's set but by the last 2 -3 songs most of the people had come into the venue. Obliterating Vortex was a fitting start to an amazing evening.

Up next were Chaos from Kerala, the legend holds true. These guys are one of the best Thrash metal acts to come out of India, I enjoyed their set a lot.

Up next was the wildcard for me, I'd known all the other bands here way before the show but Fountainhead was new for me. Instead of listening to some of his music I decided to instead go in completely blind and I was not disappointed. This man went on stage and the crowd immediately went from a Typical Bangalore metal crowd to actually calming down a bit and just enjoying one instrumental masterpiece after another. This man brought out a Fretless 7 String and started playing so good I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Towards the end Nikhil (the guitarist from Chaos) joined in on the fun as well.

And finally, the Headliner. Mumbai Death metal giants Gutslit and this time with Aditya Barve, the vocalist who performed on their debut album in 2011 back on Vocals. This band is everything I hoped for and a whole lot more. Every single person who played that day is extremely talented. Due to personal reasons I had to leave the venue about halfway through their set but I'm moving to Mumbai, the band's home turf very shortly so I hope I can catch them there.

If you're reading this and in Pune then there is still time, the band plays their last show of their Carnal Album Launch tour at a show called Freshblood at antiSOCIAL Pune on July 2nd 2023 and I think tickets are still available on PayTM Insider and for the Bangalore metal heads who missed this amazing show there is still hope. Gutslit is coming back to Bangalore on August 5th 2023 to play Slaughter Fest Vol 1. at WL Superclub (HSR Layout) along with Amorphia and 4 other Bangalore metal bands (tickets available on Skillbox India's IG Bio @skillboxofficial).

Here are some pictures I took at the show:
Abhishek Moktan (@abhishek_moktan.ov) on Bass for Obliterating Vortex
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img_20230626_014525_571.jpeg
Nikhil NR (@nikhilwartooth) on Guitar for Chaos
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img20230626100406947.jpeg
Tom "Fountainhead" Geldschläger (@tomfountainhead)
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img20230626193759116.jpeg
And the Gutslit crew, first up Aditya Barve (@butcherbarve666) on Vocals
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img20230629220840179.jpeg
Gurdip Singh Narang (@brutalsardar) on Bass
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img20230629220840217.jpeg
on Guitars we have Aditya Swaminathan (@sw0mi) and
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img20230629220840259.jpeg
Ishwar Hariharan (@riffer_mortis) and in the background is Aaron Pinto on Drums (@kidsquidy), this is unfortunately the best picture I have of him
The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread-img_20230629_220840_243.jpeg

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 1st July 2023 at 23:42.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 21:44   #1377
Team-BHP Support

Anyone following up with the later years of Queensryche post Tate exit? The last album (Digital Noise Alliance '2022) seems like a return that classic Empire sound.)

Sound is great but to me still that melody and story seems to be missing.
Old 18th September 2023, 10:19   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Anyone following up with the later years of Queensryche post Tate exit? The last album (Digital Noise Alliance '2022) seems like a return that classic Empire sound.)

Sound is great but to me still that melody and story seems to be missing.
Haven't really heard there new songs, but have watched a couple of their live performances on youtube. The Tate replacement dude can really belt out those highs!!! Watching him sing Queen of the reich gave me goosebumps.

This song along with Revolution Calling are my main Riech tunes. Tate was a beast on vocals.

On that note, watched the video where Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate join vocals with Rob Halford for The one you love to hate? Man, how lucky were the audience members that day.

Too bad their Three Tenors project didn't materialize.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:36   #1379
BHPian

Blink-182 have shared the title track to their upcoming album, One More Time. They have has also shared another new song from the album, “More Than You Know.” Check out both tracks below

kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 16:42   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Blink-182 have shared the title track to their upcoming album, One More Time. They have has also shared another new song from the album, “More Than You Know.” Check out both tracks below
Thanks for sharing! I've had One More Time on repeat at work and at home all day yesterday. I'm not too knowledgeable on Blink-182's catalogue but I really liked the pacing of that song in particular.

To share something involving clean and unclean metal vocals, want to share one of my rising stars - Courtney LaPlante of SpiritBox. Her latest work is a banger

Honestly just look at this live performance:

I'll list some of my favourites below:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks