Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 18:00   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Ah, strapping young lad - the vocalist has another project called the Devin Townsend Band (or just plain Devin Townsend), and the music he makes is BRILLIANT!
multiple layered tracks, great vocal phrasing, and overall good tunes.

@ nobetterID
I saw 3inches of blood live in london (they were performing with arch enemy, devil driver and opeth, at Defenders of the Faith)... their stage act was pretty good.
-i was there for opeth. and the sound setup was a tad bit disappointing. afsos.
Imran, was the Opeth gig at the "Mean Fiddler" in London?
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:21   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Alright, let's see now....can you describe their sound / music in a lttle more detail? Are they heavy, dark , doomy progressive? What are the vocals like? Are the lyrics sing in Japanese?
Was that band called "Tang Dynasty"?

Tang Dynasty was was Chinese band tho, best known for their "dream return to Tang Dynasty" song which I rediscovered after many years on youtube!

Those were the days when MTV used to play real music videos, with every thursday (or was it friday?) night 2 hour religion called "Headbangers Ball"!
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I heard 3 inches of blood in a music store in sydney. Sounded pretty riffy like 80's thrash /speed metal, which is awesome. Is most of their stuff similar?

If you like your metal with maple syrup (read canadian) you absolutely must try listening to Strapping Young Lad!!!
Yes, most of their songs have the same feel (which I think is good).

And yes, I have heard SYL.. pretty good stuff. I must admit though that I haven't heard enough of them to shared a qualified opinion.

I have never been a fan of any music from Canada. There are of course a few exceptions; 3 Inches of Blood, Jag Panzer and Celine Dion being three of them. OK, OK, I lied about one of the artist
Old 7th September 2009, 12:03   #139
BHPian

@wolfheart: I don't think so - if im not mistaken, the opeth gig was at one of the Carling Academies..
Old 8th September 2009, 12:40   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
@wolfheart: I don't think so - if im not mistaken, the opeth gig was at one of the Carling Academies..
Opeth played last year at some college festival in Chennai. I couldnt go 'cos the passes were sold out. Missed the Ensiferium gig at mood-I 'cos you need a college Id to attend. Really really sad!!
Old 8th September 2009, 15:43   #141
BHPian

Opeth played at the Sarang festival back in January...really wanted to go :-(
Old 8th September 2009, 19:00   #143
BHPian

I find Arch Enemy seriously good. That chick Angela Gossow with her DT growls kicks some serious A55 in the death metal scene itself.

I've been away from the scene for a couple of years. Do you recommend any other metal bands with female vocalists?
Old 8th September 2009, 21:29   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I find Arch Enemy seriously good. That chick Angela Gossow with her DT growls kicks some serious A55 in the death metal scene itself.

I've been away from the scene for a couple of years. Do you recommend any other metal bands with female vocalists?
There are many metal bands with female lead vocals. The better ones are Otep, Lacuna Coil, Within temptation, Theatre of Tragedy (earlier albums), The Gathering (earlier albums). You may also want to check out "Wicked Wisdom" which is fronted by actress Jada Pinkett Smith aka Mrs. Will Smith. I saw a couple of videos and the music is decent! However none of these are deathgrowlers like Gossow! Gossow is seriously one of a kind!!
Old 8th September 2009, 23:05   #145
Senior - BHPian

^^The closest to Arch Enemy style growls would probably be Tristania - World of Glass, Beyond the Veil and Widow's Weeds would be the albums to start with.

If you fancy opera style singing with some seriously nice guitar riffs, check the older albums of Nightwish when Tarja was around.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 8th September 2009 at 23:07.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:20   #146
BHPian

Lotsa metalhead here , ha ? My fave band is Cradle Of Filth , and there's a whole bunch of others I like : Dark Lunacy , Rammstein , Tristania , Metallica , Megadeth , Pantera , Slayer , In Flames , Anthrax , Deathstars , Children Of Bodom , Epica , Nightwish , Within Temptation , Fear Factory , Arch Enemy , Ensiferum , Kalmah , Therion , Graveworm , Iron Maiden , Die Apokalyptischen Reiter , Dream Theatre, Iced Earth , Dark Tranquility , Filter , Samael ,Trivium , Scar Symmetry,

Bands with female vocals : I recommend Tristania ,my fave in this class. Epica , Within Temptation are nice, Nightwish too is super though it's more commercial/aimed at getting popularity .

Some new additions I haven't gotten very familiar with , such as Meshuggah, Mushroomhead, Nile , Korpiklaani , August Burns Red, Atreyu , Winds Of Plague , As Blood Runs Black , Mastondon .

Also have some interesting Nordic bands like Finntroll and Turmion Katilot.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:30   #147
BHPian

If you like old school thrash metal and want female vocals, check out th german band Holy Moses! About the death growl vocals, I am not a huge fan of that style (enjoy it more when it fits the music like with Opeth).

I am more of a late 80s Thrash metal and NWOBHM fan (since that was when I started listening to heavy metal! yeah I'm a dinosaur I guess) although recently I have been branching out more into some of the newer breed of bands (The older ones still kick some serious a$$ though!)

Last edited by Abhay : 9th September 2009 at 15:31.
Old 14th September 2009, 11:10   #148
BHPian

Hmmm... i remember Opeth playing in chennai - Demonic Resurrection opened for them..
I couldn't go either, thanks to Work!

This year at mood-i, they're getting Porcupine Tree to play!
its not metal, but its an amazing band - their frontman/producer Steven Wilson also produced Damnation (opeth)....

if you get a chance to see PT live, dont miss it!

@ricci: meshuggah and mastodon are really good ... both their last albums were pretty amazing, though acc to me, there wouldnt be a contest btwn obzen and crack the skye! (u cant beat obzen man!)
Old 14th September 2009, 13:01   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Lotsa metalhead here , ha ?
==================
Also have some interesting Nordic bands like Finntroll and Turmion Katilot.
We share some common likes my friend.

I would also add Lacuna Coil in the list of bands with female vox.

Do you like all the songs of Fintroll? I like one of their songs, Trollhammaren (don't even know if I spelt it right), and kinda semi-like their other tracks.

I am not sure if Kamelot has been mentioned in this thread before. but this band surely deserves a listen.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:32   #150
BHPian

nobetterID, Kamelot is pretty good and some of his vocal work is amazing. Just listened to some Ensiferum tracks (another Finnish Folk metal band) a few days ago and thought it was quite good too.

Most Viewed