Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 10:56   #241
BHPian

@Wolfheart: AAL made me go 'Wow, genius!' too.

Thanks a bunch
Old 30th March 2010, 13:25   #242
BHPian

Hey guys,

All the shredding guitar a la Malmsteen or Satch is interesting for about one listen. It get's boring after a while. I had heard rave reviews of Chickenfoot (Satriani with Sammy hagar etc) and got the abum. But I lost interest after the first 2-3 tracks.

That's not to take anything away from the technical mastery and amazing skill that these guys possess, just that the incessant shredding gets monotonous after a while. I felt the same way during the Satriani concert in Mumbai. At the risk of commiting sacrilege I must admit, I got bored!

I like my music heavy, aggressive or dark. The best example I could give is Medageth's Rust in Peace album. It has generous helpings of shredding solos but has a lot of variety too. I still listen to it after all these years.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:31   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
(1) It is official. It is on the LOG website as well.
(2) Organizer: Overture India
(3) Festival: Summer Storm
(4) Opening bands: Don't know yet
(5) Venue: Palace grounds
(6) Tickets: To go on sale in a few days
Tickets up for sale. Bring it on!

Lamb of God (Rock Band), Summer Storm 2010, Overture - Buy Concert Tickets on KyaZoonga
Old 30th March 2010, 14:35   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I like my music heavy, aggressive or dark. The best example I could give is Medageth's Rust in Peace album. It has generous helpings of shredding solos but has a lot of variety too. I still listen to it after all these years.
Wolf, a man after my own heart I have to say!

Exactly my thoughts on the shred thing which I mentioned on the last page. Marty Friedman can shred with the best but his solos are so damn "musical" if thats the right word. And of course Mustaine is the riff-master. One of my favourite albums and one of my favourite bands.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:16   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Hey guys,

All the shredding guitar a la Malmsteen or Satch is interesting for about one listen. It get's boring after a while. I had heard rave reviews of Chickenfoot (Satriani with Sammy hagar etc) and got the abum. But I lost interest after the first 2-3 tracks.

That's not to take anything away from the technical mastery and amazing skill that these guys possess, just that the incessant shredding gets monotonous after a while. I felt the same way during the Satriani concert in Mumbai. At the risk of commiting sacrilege I must admit, I got bored!

Completely agree! And that's why you should give Soothsayer a listen. Nottingham Lace too! It's not all about shredding. And it's progressive! It's a masterpiece IMO and it's the sort of tune that will engrave itself in your head after a couple of listens.

EDIT: This is a quote that might make you listen to his music: Mustaine: "Buckethead is a better guitar player than Slash and I, combined! The man is a genius!"

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th March 2010 at 19:22.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:13   #246
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Any of you familiar with this band? My first cousin is the drummer. And also, pretty good at it

At concert:

Their myspace page

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2010 at 11:16.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:55   #247
BHPian

amon amarth

folks what your opinion about Amon amarth? Do you like the old or new stuff..

I found their latest album not up to expectations.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:27   #248
Team-BHP Support

Listen to this track guys! It's sure to captivate your senses!
Old 31st March 2010, 23:42   #249
BHPian

Drove 300km today with Sabbath playing throughout. Its been a while since I listened to metal and I enjoyed it immensely. Also realized that Ozzy sounds better in CDDA than Mp3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Completely agree! And that's why you should give Soothsayer a listen. Nottingham Lace too! It's not all about shredding. And it's progressive!.....
Going to give these a try. Planning to update my metal collection and will start with these.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:02   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
folks what your opinion about Amon amarth? Do you like the old or new stuff..

I found their latest album not up to expectations.
AA are one of my favorite bands. I have most of their discography, seen them live twice. I even met Johan Hegg briefly after a gig and told him about fans in India and why they should play here.(this was back in 2004). Incidentally they played last year in Bangalore. The inside buzz is that they haven't even been paid for the performance.

These Vikings have been unleashing some seriously awesome metal over the years and all their albums have been consistently good. They keep getting better with each album. I like the newer albums (all albums after The Crusher) better as compared to the older ones. The latest one Twilight... is one of the best albums that I heard last year. Everytime I hear it, I feel like grabbing a sword and charging into battle. Every song on that album is pure wargasm! "Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags" is one of my personal favorites.

Johann is one of the best death metal vocalists alive. Even though he growls likes a blood thirsty berserker from hell, you can hear the lyrics clearly. Basically Amon Amarth is a band that you just have to see live. One of the best live acts that I have seen ever.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:10   #251
BHPian

@Abhay

Cheers Bro!

@ Roy S.

Have you heard Wolfmother's new album "Cosmic Egg"? It's very Sabbathesque. In fact I was playing it in my Scorp the other day and my friends thought it was Ozzy. Great album to listen to while driving, check it out.

If you're into heavier stuff then you might also enjoy Electric Wizard. They play Sabbath inspired doom metal.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:43   #252
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if you have seen this news: The Gods are back with a new album to be released in the summer (I know summers here !).

I guess release is in May/June.

Iron Maiden Official Website - IRON MAIDEN announce new studio album 'THE FINAL FRONTIER' and North American Tour
Old 4th April 2010, 14:49   #253
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if you have seen this news: The Gods are back with a new album to be released in the summer (I know summers here !).

I guess release is in May/June.

Iron Maiden Official Website - IRON MAIDEN announce new studio album 'THE FINAL FRONTIER' and North American Tour
Wonder if we will really get any worthy inheritors to the awesome bands of old times- the Metallica's , Megadeths and the Maidens!! I still love to listen only to the old school, maybe did not give the new ones a try, any worthy contenders?
Its almost like cricket has still not found a worthy successor to sachin
Old 4th April 2010, 15:35   #254
Team-BHP Support

Well said. Though Maiden's last last album (AMOLAD) was a bit tiring compared to their 80's top of the world stuff, but a still way better than what we get today.

My signature is the AMOLAD cover .

Meanwhile I just saw this thread. Any major following for Queensryche, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Riverside and the like ?
Old 5th April 2010, 00:18   #255
Senior - BHPian

I dont like the sound of the 'Final' in the album title.

Looking forward to this new album

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks