Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 03:56   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Recently went to the Hard Rock Cafe to see a band called Ruckus - it was okay but just that, hardly even rock! The lead player was more interested in looking cool than his playing it seemed! The very next week there was some DJ spinning House music (whatever that is) at that venue :|

So to keep it short, Pune definitely has a lot of bands but not too many places where they can play (Abraxas, Silver etc come to mind, and recently read in the paper about a "horror metal" band releasing their album) but I have been out of the concert/shows circuit for ages now so don't quote me on this.

There are couple of pubs/bars which play rock/metal (mainstream of course) but nothing like what I saw in Bangalore.
Even the Bombay hard rock is pretty lame. I call them Hardly Rock Cafe! There are plenty of bands here in Mumbai but most of them are stuck in a rut. They all sound like bad clones of their favorite bands. Sadly there's no innovation and the scene doesn't progress beyond college festivals and the annual Independence Rock.
Old 11th June 2010, 06:21   #347
Team-BHP Support

Abhay. Just got 25 track OVI Voucher.
Bought the best of Primal Fear! Let me give it a listen!
Old 11th June 2010, 08:01   #348
BHPian

What is a OVI voucher? sorry to sound stupid hehe
Yeah I think you may like them.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:22   #349
BHPian

Any pantera/Dimebag fans out here, Pantera was one of my earliest influence when I started listening to metal music around 12-13 years ago.. Phil & Dimebag are the best combination & this really attributed to their success, if you see their 80's stuff with different vocalist, it did not quite go with their image.. I rate them on par with metallica, may be even better if they had lived today, RIP dimebag..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 11th June 2010 at 09:34. Reason: one more video added
Old 11th June 2010, 09:30   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is a OVI voucher? sorry to sound stupid hehe
Yeah I think you may like them.
OVI is the Nokia's App store, just like iphone's app store. Along with applications you can also buy music. Yesterday I bought a Nokia phone and what came along with it? An voucher, that allows me to download any 25 tracks free from OVI store. I just had to register and validate the voucher online and that's it!

I could download any 25 tracks available in their store! I chose best of Primal Fear and gave a listen to it in the morning while driving to office! For a moment I could not make out who was playing JP or PM ! Very Very nice! Great guitars, Halford like solos!

Truly enjoyed. Cannot say about the lyrics. Only gave a listen to the music. Will read up more about them and come back! Thanks Again.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:37   #351
Team-BHP Support

I used to be a regular at Opus on Monday nights. Usually, on Monday evenings, they have an event called 'Bulls Unplugged' sponsored by Red Bull and it gives upcoming bands a platform to perform in front of an audience. It was my favourite place, but it's been a while since I've been there..
Old 11th June 2010, 11:29   #352
BHPian

cheers ampere (I am a total noob when it comes to fancy mobile phones)
But I make up for that with huge amount of useless stuff crammed in in my head - like football and music lol

Mr Bean - of course who hasn't heard of Dimebag and Pantera..not a huge fan but did buy Cowboys from Hell cassette waaaaaaaaaay back in college - although I don't listen to much of their stuff thesedays, Cemetary Gates is one of my favourites - great solo too.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:21   #353
BHPian

Speakimng of Pantera, did you know that Dimebag was recruited by Dave Mustaine to be Megadeth's lead guitarist at one time. However, he wanted his brother Vinnie Paul to be the drummer. But Nick Menza was finalized as Megadeth's drummer already so Dime and Vinnie stayed on with Pantera. I wonder how Rust In Peace would have turned out had Dimebag and Vinnie Paul played on it.

Dimebag was famous for making a cocktail called "Black Tooth Grin". the name was taken from the lyrics of Megadeth's "Sweating bullets."
Old 11th June 2010, 16:35   #354
BHPian

I think I had heard this one or read it somewhere...Also Kerry King was part of Megadeth for a while right before he decided to concentrate on Slayer.
Surely that turned out to be good for Megadeth lol!

Same with Dimebag, he was a great guitar player but I think getting Marty Friedman was a master-stroke by Mustaine. That guy's soloing is something I really enjoy. Just spin your Rust in Peace again to find out
Old 11th June 2010, 17:04   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I think I had heard this one or read it somewhere...Also Kerry King was part of Megadeth for a while right before he decided to concentrate on Slayer.
Surely that turned out to be good for Megadeth lol!

Same with Dimebag, he was a great guitar player but I think getting Marty Friedman was a master-stroke by Mustaine. That guy's soloing is something I really enjoy. Just spin your Rust in Peace again to find out
I agree with you totally about Marty Friedman. I was wondering how different Megadeth albums would have been if Dime had played on them. Would have been different but kickass none the less.

I also like Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman's work. Reign in Blood is credited for being Slayer's best. That one album was way ahead of it's time (in 1986) and is directly responsible for inspiring legions of musicians. Every death, black and modern thrash band will cite Reign In Blood as one of their all time favorite albums and Slayer as one of their major influences(including Dimebag). Interestingly Kerry King cites Tipton as one of his favorite guitarists.

However, if there's one album that showcases King's best guitarwork then it's "Seasons in the Abyss". For me ( a diehard Slayer fan) Seasons is their best work. If you haven't heard it, take my word for it and give it a couple of spins. It's one of the best Metal albums ever made!
Old 11th June 2010, 17:22   #356
BHPian

I am not a huge Slayer fan (inspite of being a thrash fanboy!) to be honest so sorry for being blunt about Kerry King. I only have their first album on CD (Show no mercy) although I have listened to Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven (a long time ago though) Maybe I will listen to those again
Old 11th June 2010, 18:10   #357
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a huge Slayer fan (inspite of being a thrash fanboy!) to be honest so sorry for being blunt about Kerry King. I only have their first album on CD (Show no mercy) although I have listened to Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven (a long time ago though) Maybe I will listen to those again
No worries, it's all good. Kerry and Slayer may not be as popular perhaps because their music, lyrical content and imagery is more brutal and aggressive as compared to relatively melodic bands like Megadeth. It's more of an individual thing. For instance many folks like Metallica but I can't stand them.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:15   #358
BHPian

Neither can I stand Metallica's music - since Black album really. Death Magnetic was a way to go back to their roots but its no where near as good as what the older bands are putting out in the 2000s.
Btw also heard another new age thrash band and was pretty impressed (easy to be as most newer bands are crap) Lazarus A.D
Also gave a listen to Seasons in the Abyss - nice track indeed. Only if Slayer mixed it up a little bit they appeal more to me rather than the straight on fast tempo songs all the time (which is what Megadeth/Testament is so good at - melody/acoustic parts followed by full on aggressive riffage - JMO) Also do you think it has been a case (like most bands but still even more so)

I'm a sucker for tracks with very aggressive riffs but with acoustic or slow intros

Last edited by Abhay : 12th June 2010 at 10:17.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:27   #359
Team-BHP Support

Yes, I'm still under the Buckethead spell

I came across this very un-Buckethead track a few weeks back. The song is actually 13 odd minutes but broken into 2 parts in Youtube.

Abhay, you might want to check his out. The most dastardly, powerful and aggressive riff and heavy tune I've heard in a long time! Skip the first 3 minutes. Start listening to it from 2:58

Old 12th June 2010, 13:03   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Also do you think it has been a case (like most bands but still even more so)
Sorry, I didn't understand your question.

Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament are comparatively "radio friendly" (a term that is used for more melodic/commercial sounding albums) as opposed to bands like Slayer or Venom. The latter bands have maintained a straight out no nonsense aggressive barrage of pure extreme music, image and lyrical content. Even after more than two decades, bands like Slayer haven't "sold out" so to speak ( Megadeth's Risk, Metallica's work after Load etc). They have been consistent throughout and therefore have a rabid and loyal fanbase which is growing all the time. For eg. I saw Slayer twice and the moshpit was full people ranging from 15 year old girls to 40 year old dudes!

For fans it's more of an individual choice. Some guys like brutal music while some seek a more melodic material. Some greedy folks like me want it all.

@ Suhaas

I checked out the earlier Buckethead link that you had posted and it was very good indeed. I don't remember the name but the song was extremely catchy. I'll try to get some of his albums. Thanks! You seem to be a die hard Buckethead-head!

Most Viewed