Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 12:59   #526
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

^ exactly, they wanted some ID for internet booking and then you needed to get the actual booklet physically at Powai before 2pm. Anyways how did it go?

I got most things crossed for Priest too, anything else coming up in the near future?
Old 29th December 2010, 16:53   #527
BHPian

Katatonia was brilliant. Very tight and impressive performance!

Orphaned Land is playing a few dates in Mumbai and Pune in Feb. Also Dark Tranquility are playing in Hyderabad.

Orphaned Land Official Website | www.orphaned-land.com

The official DARK TRANQUILLITY homepage
Old 30th December 2010, 10:35   #528
BHPian

Now this one I definitely would like to see, Orphaned Land I mean, while DT would be good too!
Old 30th December 2010, 11:14   #529
BHPian

Haven't gone through this thread for quite some time, but just wanted to report that I had the opportunity to goto one of the Metallica Concerts in Melbourne and it was an amazing experience. The fact that it was Kirk Hammett's birthday on the day of the concert even made it more awesome as they played a lot of the old stuff :-)

I am not sure when we will get Metallica in India, but they are on an extensive Asia Pacific tour, sometimes playing one city 4-5 times or even more!!
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:59   #530
BHPian

Metallica. I think they've stopped playing metal since the black album. The only decent albums are the first two and of course ...and justice for all.

Give me Mr. Mustaine's band anyday. Word is that they're in the studio working on a new Megadeth album.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:52   #531
BHPian

Yep, most likely end of 2011 we might have a new MegaDave (er Deth ) album.

Also out is the Big 4 DVD of shows in Europe last autumn.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:02   #532
Team-BHP Support

Came across this forgotten gem while wading through!

Old 5th January 2011, 11:18   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Metallica. I think they've stopped playing metal since the black album. The only decent albums are the first two and of course ...and justice for all.

Give me Mr. Mustaine's band anyday. Word is that they're in the studio working on a new Megadeth album.
That depends on your definition of metal.
If its thrash metal - then yes MetallicA stopped. And started with more contemporary (of 90s) alternative metal in Load and Reload.

At least they have experimented (and musically I see Load and Reload no less than earlier ones).

Megadeth - we lets see - they have been playing the same (first album) over and over again in different avatars.
Coupled with extremely horrendous voice and singing style of Mr. Mustaine.
Old 5th January 2011, 15:25   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
That depends on your definition of metal.
If its thrash metal - then yes MetallicA stopped. And started with more contemporary (of 90s) alternative metal in Load and Reload.

At least they have experimented (and musically I see Load and Reload no less than earlier ones).

Megadeth - we lets see - they have been playing the same (first album) over and over again in different avatars.
Coupled with extremely horrendous voice and singing style of Mr. Mustaine.
Classic! I see we have the same old Metallica / Megadeth factions on TBhp as well!

The first few Metallica albums were good old Thrash metal and that's what catapulted them to success! However, Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton played a huge part in making Metallica successful. After Mustaine's departure and Burton's demise things have just gone downhill (atleast musically) for 'Tallica. I'll admit that "justice" was an exception. Load and Reload(ughh) were nothing but pop albums with guitars!

As for your arguement about Megadeth playing "Killing is my Business" over and over again.....are you kidding me??!!!! Forget the entire discography, you should just listen to the following 3 allbums:

1. Rust in Peace (One of the best metal albums of all time! Nothing that 'Tallica's ever done even comes close to this scorcher!)
2. Countdown to Extinction
3. Youthanasia

Nothing in common with the first one and all three sound different even though the line-up remained the same. Even Dave's vocals are more diverse and better than Hetfield's annoying "yeah yeaaahhh" crap! Nobody has the venomous snarls like Mustaine and he can be melodic when he needs to.

Mustaine's also a better guitar player than Hetfield and Hammett both put together! His fretwork is also way superior than Hammett's childish, simple, wah-wah pedal molestation.

I rest my case
Old 5th January 2011, 18:51   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Classic! I see we have the same old Metallica / Megadeth factions on TBhp as well!

However, Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton played a huge part in making Metallica successful. After Mustaine's departure and Burton's demise things have just gone downhill (atleast musically) for 'Tallica. I'll admit that "justice" was an exception. Load and Reload(ughh) were nothing but pop albums with guitars!

As for your arguement about Megadeth playing "Killing is my Business" over and over again.....are you kidding me??!!!! Forget the entire discography, you should just listen to the following 3 allbums:

1. Rust in Peace (One of the best metal albums of all time! Nothing that 'Tallica's ever done even comes close to this scorcher!)
3. Youthanasia

Nothing in common with the first one and all three sound different even though the line-up remained the same. Even Dave's vocals are more diverse and better than Hetfield's annoying "yeah yeaaahhh" crap! Nobody has the venomous snarls like Mustaine and he can be melodic when he needs to.

Mustaine's also a better guitar player than Hetfield and Hammett both put together! His fretwork is also way superior than Hammett's childish, simple, wah-wah pedal molestation.

I rest my case
Well said Wolfheart!! Now, I don't have to type that all over again in my own words!!

And "Coupled with extremely horrendous voice and singing style of Mr. Mustaine" - you serious?

No one has a snarly voice like Mustaine and his lyrics and songs suit his singing voice so well!
Old 6th January 2011, 12:35   #536
BHPian

I am with Wolfheart on this too, Mustaine's vocals may not be everybody's cup of tea but he has found his own niche (snarly indeed) doing it (he was never a singer to begin with)
Some of his lyrics have gone downhill recently but his guitar playing has been top notch for more than 25 years. Hence most serious guitarists will always rate him much higher as a player and composer (more importantly) than Hammett and Hetfield.

I love most Megadeth albums (even some of the 90s nonsense) but I can't say the same for Metallica post Master of Puppets/And Justice...

And yeah they are tight as hell Live as well.

Last edited by Abhay : 6th January 2011 at 12:37.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:13   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The first few Metallica albums were good old Thrash metal and that's what catapulted them to success! However, Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton played a huge part in making Metallica successful. After Mustaine's departure and Burton's demise things have just gone downhill (atleast musically) for 'Tallica. I'll admit that "justice" was an exception. Load and Reload(ughh) were nothing but pop albums with guitars!

3. Youthanasia

I rest my case
Glad you brought that up since those three are the ONLY Megadeth albums I listen to - thank to brilliant guitar work by Marty Friedman and drum bashing by Nick Menza.

Mustaine's guitar playing is nothing great to speak of. Other wise he would've never kept different lead guitarists. his voice and style may suit the style - but in absolute terms - it is really horrendous. I cannot change that adjective.
.. and his playing is nothing more than same ol' pentatonics over and over again all over the fretboard. Just that Hammet uses Wah excessively, and Mustaine uses tremolo picking too much.

What really is different (musically) between say So far so good so what and The system has failed?
The only different sounding album by Megadeth is Risk.

So playing "pop"-rock/metal becomes a sin now?
Old 7th January 2011, 15:20   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Glad you brought that up since those three are the ONLY Megadeth albums I listen to - thank to brilliant guitar work by Marty Friedman and drum bashing by Nick Menza.
Well if you've heard only three albums then your next comment doesn't surprise me...

Quote:
Mustaine's guitar playing is nothing great to speak of. .. and his playing is nothing more than same ol' pentatonics over and over again all over the fretboard.

Quote:
Just that Hammet uses Wah excessively, and Mustaine uses tremolo picking too much.
That's an understatement. The wah wah just barely masks Hammett's mediocre guitar playing. Trust me he would be handicapped without it. As far as tremolo picking goes show me one decent speed metal / black metal band that doesn't use it? It's as integral to metal as power chords or distortion!

Further, check out this book called The 100 Greatest Metal Guitaristsby Joe McIver. You'll find the likes of Petrucci, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde & Trey Azagthoth in the top 10. Yes Hetfield also appears at number 8 while Hammett is absent. Guess who was rated number 1? Dave Mustaine!

Quote:
The only different sounding album by Megadeth is Risk.
Ever heard of an album called Cryptic Writings? Give it a listen, it will change your opinion.

Quote:
So playing "pop"-rock/metal becomes a sin now?
It's not a sin at all. Just gay!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 7th January 2011 at 15:25.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:25   #539
BHPian

Been listening to Jarboe's album called Mahakali. This particular track features Attila Csihar (Mayhem, Aborym) on vocals. Fans of dark experimental music will love this track.

Old 8th January 2011, 11:15   #540
BHPian

Quote:

Mustaine's guitar playing is nothing great to speak of. Other wise he would've never kept different lead guitarists. his voice and style may suit the style - but in absolute terms - it is really horrendous. I cannot change that adjective.
.. and his playing is nothing more than same ol' pentatonics over and over again all over the fretboard. Just that Hammet uses Wah excessively, and Mustaine uses tremolo picking too much.

I was not even referring to his lead work. Mustaine's lead playing is pentatonic based and quite repetitive and hence the need for someone with more flash/technique/skill as a lead player (enter Poland, Friedman and now Broderick)

What I meant when I said many others rated him as a guitarist/musician is more to do with his precise rhythm work, amazing riffing and creativity with song structure .
Dave Mustaine = Riff Monster.
No one will ever praise him for his lead/soloing skills, Marty Friedman shades almost any lead player you can name (in thrash metal atleast) apart from Alex Skolnick (IMO).

Last edited by Abhay : 8th January 2011 at 11:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks