Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2006, 18:33   #46
BHPian

Heres my tastes....Im into anything rock ....right from vintage, classic to glam hard and all forms o metal...i try to stay away from the industrial sound though...dunno why but i jus dont like it......ummm lemme see....ill really have to condense my list here but sure heres what i listen to most of the time.....

1.Iron Maiden
2.Metallica
3.Pantera
4.Red Hot Chili Peppers(bloody brilliant)
5.Apocalyptica(they play metallica on violins...you HAVE to check them out if youre a metallica fan)
6.Black Label Society
7.Black Sabbath
8.Children Of Bodom
9.Cradle oF fIlth
10.Deep Purple
11.Disturbed
12.Elvis
13.Godsmack
14.Jethro Tull
15.JIMI HENDRIX
16.Kalmah(some of the craziest black metal around)
17.KoRn
18.Manson
19.Pearl Jam
20.Pink Floyd
21.Puddle of Mudd
22.POD( really like sounds like war)
23.Queen
24.S-C-O-R-P-I-O-N-S.....what an awesome band!
25.System of a down
26.Van halen
27.The who
28.Velvet Underground
29.Venom
30.Simon and Garfunkel( the best stuff on this planet)................

also worth a mention Jefferson Airplane, Bob Marley, Nirvana, GNR , Megadeth

P.S.--- I HAATTEE rage against the machine....HATE!!
Old 23rd April 2006, 19:34   #47
BHPian

Usual listening:
1. Candlemass
2. Cathedral
3. Disturbed
4. Dragonforce
5. Hammerfall
6. Katatonia
7. Lacuna Coil
8. Machinehead
9. Manowar
10. Skunk Anansie ( not quite metal...)
11. Talisman
12. Accept
13. Metal Church
14. Creed
15. Dokken
16. Helloween
17. Iced Earth
18. Gamma Ray
19. Queensryche
20. Saxon
21. Nightwish
22. Therion
23. Metallica (upto the black one)
24. Megadeth
25. Tesla
26. Rhapsody

Favourites:
1. BLACK SABBATH (Number one since 20 yrs)
2. Ozzy
3. Dio
4. Iommi
5. Black Label Society
6. Led Zep
7. Halford ( ya... even more than Priest)
8. Uriah Heep
9. Opeth ( My God! If you like Death-prog...these guys are manna from
purgatory)
10. RATM
11. Rush
10. AC/DC
11. Motorhead.
12. Deep Purple.
13. Maiden
14. Rainbow ( the Dio years especially)

There are lots more but those bands would not come under the heavy metal" genre.

Look at it whichever way... these grandmasters which are listed under favourites are the true progenitors... the guys who laid the bedrock for modern metal and its many variants.

Keep the faith.
Dark Knight.
Old 27th April 2006, 15:38   #48
BHPian

hmmm

i've been very into metal since a friend of mine introduced me to slayer, love the gothic elements in their music , love audioslave and soundgarden too!
direct me to some new bands who have that awesome gothic aura bout them please people ! my music's gettin kinda old
Old 21st June 2006, 19:48   #49
BHPian

Iron Maiden plan to release their new studio album entitled A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, in early September.

The band started writing songs at the end of 2005 after a short break from their hugely successful festival appearances in Europe and the USA. After Christmas the songs were completed and rehearsed when the band then got together with producer Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley at Sarm West Studios in London to start work on recording the backing tracks.

As on previous projects all of the tracks were performed live and together in one room. No click tracks or computer tightening or manipulation has happened at any stage of the recording.

Says Steve Harris,' I think in many ways this has been the easiest album in terms of recording that we've ever done. The whole process of writing through to recording was very natural. I think in terms of the material we've also pushed our boundaries yet again and I think it will please our fans but also really surprise a lot of people as well. The sound we've managed to get is very powerful for a Maiden record and all of us have pushed ourselves in our own ways to create something that we're all immensely proud of and I think working as quickly as we did with Kevin really was part of that process. We simply can't wait to take this out on the road. We've played some great shows and had a lot fun recently introducing some of our older songs to a new generation of fans. However for us personally we're incredibly excited about getting out and performing these new tracks.'

Says Bruce Dickinson,'This album has to be our best since working with Kevin. There is such a wide scope of musicianship on this album and in parts this album is truly epic. I thought with the likes of Paschendale from the last studio album that we could only hope to surpass that but having now heard the album back as well as sitting with a few select people and hearing their reactions as well I truly believe we have managed it. Every one of us has put everything into this record and it's really paid off. However we've had such fun making it that it's almost difficult to believe what we've managed to achieve in the time it took.'

The full track listing is as below.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

1. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8.44
4. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5.07
5. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9.24
9. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9.20

Probable album cover:

Man! Cant wait!

Courtesy:www.ironmaiden.com

Last edited by TributE : 21st June 2006 at 19:55.
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Man!!! They should have a mandatory retirement age for rock bands also.
Anyways, me gone back to old school metal now... been enjoying Sepultura - Arise for a while now.
Old 30th June 2006, 19:43   #51
BHPian

Wonder if any of you listen to Tool. I was browsing through the top moving files in www.torrentspy.com when i saw it, and thought i'd download and give a listen...

and I must say, not bad at all ;-)... Tool's an art rock band and 10000 days is their latest release.
Old 1st July 2006, 16:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I like tool - I thought Intolerance was a bit brutal, but nicely rough around the edges. I wouldn't go as far as to qualify them as "art rock"
Aenima was well defined as was Lateralus. I fo.und their use of rythym guitars very interesting

However the Album's Salival's glory was Tool's cover of the classic LedZep "No Quarter" I was blown away by it completely. Bloody amazing! The rest of the album was rather obscure in some ways.

That said, I love the voice of Maynard Keenan and you must check out his other project "A Perfect Circle"
Once again though "Mers de Noms" (Their first album) was a bit rough, I was floored by the maturity and intensity A Perfect circle showed in ther next album (13th Step)
I LOVE some tracks on that album including The Noose and Gravity. Listen to them over and over again.
Emotive was a strange album, with some very unlikely cover versions, including, believe it or not, Imagine by John Lennon and a Depeche mode song too (can't remember which one)
I would definitely recommend you try Thirteenth Step.
They have one more album too, I think. These are the only 3 I've got.

I have never seen this thread before. Think I need to get out of ICE more often.
Old 1st July 2006, 16:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Dark Knight,

I am perhaps the most serious OPETH head you could ever find. If there ever was a fan of Mikael Akerfeld, that would be me.
There is NOTHING of Opeth i have not purchased. I could go on and on and write an entire page on them. I do believe there are no bands with the quiet distinction, passaionate melody and growls from hell that Opeth possess.
Though right from Orchid to My arms your hease, I did often find a necessity again and again to "extend" a song (for lack of a better word)
However by the time Morningrise was ready, I do believe Opeth was fully fully God-like. Blackwater park is the only album, i believe, was engineered for commercial(if you will) success.
I managed to find the twin album (Deliverance/Damnation) on my last trip to berlin and I was obviously expecting yet another turn in the newest (2005, actually, but i just got in in last month) Ghost reveries.
However, what is quite an experience is to see "Lamentations" - Opeth live at Shepherd's Bush -is it? I canot remember.
But lamentations was the live tour, immediately following damnation and these guys played the entire sweet album alive in all it's acoustic glory.

The second half of Lamentaiotns, Opeth played somerather predictable heavier stuff (Drapery falls - OFCOURSE) and Master's apprentice.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see you mention Opeth. Though I am not generally a scandi metal fan (I am dying to hear Katatonia - do you have any?) I do believe Opeth would rank number one in my "Metal" interest.

EDIT: I notice you stated progdeath and Opeth, but do not listen to Mikael Akerfeldts favourite band, Camel. Though not related to Death Meatal (Camel being Andy latimer's progressive, classic, theme rock band from the 70"s mostly) You MUST try camel. In fact in the live set right after the track "end credits" Mikael asks the crowd if they liked the track, followed by a rather candid confession about it being a complete Camel rip-off. I've got about 10 albums (I believe they have in excess of 20)

EDIT2: In case you are wondering what happened to my spellings, I'm just too excited to see this thread here. And i'm in a hurry so cannot edit. Apologies.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st July 2006 at 16:33.
Old 1st July 2006, 20:28   #54
BHPian

Ah one of those threads

There are truckloads of bands to be able to put them into a post (or ten).

Let's begin by answering your original question, Dimmu Borgir AND Black Sabbath.
Opeth, Cynic, DT, Maiden, Ac/dc, Van Halen, Satch, Emperor, Ancient, Arch Enemy, Megadeth.
Ok I quit.
It's tough to cover even one genre. Can we please talk about some individual bands instead? :

And yes, no matter what band, no matter what list, Pink Floyd will always be on top. Oh yeah!

Last edited by powerslave12r : 1st July 2006 at 20:29.
Old 1st July 2006, 20:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Dark Knight,

I do believe Opeth would rank number one in my "Metal" interest.
Ah Greetings Fellow Opeth fanatic!!!

I do have coule of Katatonia albums but they are pretty commerical.
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave12r
Ah Greetings Fellow Opeth fanatic!!!

I do have coule of Katatonia albums but they are pretty commerical.
Really? I'd expected great things from Katatonia. I see your list does not include and Glenn Danzig/Misfits. Do you not like them?
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:52   #57
BHPian

Ahhh! Finally some tool lovers!!! I've managed to get all the tool and the A perfect circle albums to date! And for me, schism and sober are the best of the lot, especially the schism video. Something worth seeing over and over again! The odd notes Danny Carey goes into in the last pre-chorus is WOW!

Godspeed,

Alok
Old 4th July 2006, 07:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Really? I'd expected great things from Katatonia. I see your list does not include and Glenn Danzig/Misfits. Do you not like them?
Dude, are you kidding me? I picked up their cassette the day it appeared at planet M powai (that and cst were the only ones then). Misfits rock!

Dude, if we started assuming that each band is a non-favorite until mentioned, then I"m leaving out around 99% of the bands I breathe.. there's tons of em!!!

Just a few more here Mercyful Fate, Sodom, King Diamond (Oh yeah ), Venom (I'm an old-skooler), Bathory, motorhead, oh and btw, Metallica's Kill Em all is my all time favourite Thrash Metal album bar none.

Then you have other stuff like COB, Iced Earth, Moonspell, Slayer (hell yeah!!), Burzum (\m/), Amorphis, At the gates, Susperia, Cryptopsy, DarkThrone, Deicide, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Vader, rigor mortis, therion, immolation. One sad thing is I never got to hearing Incantation, having ehard so much about them.

I'm pretty sure this is a tip of the iceberg. Too many favourites to list here.
Old 8th October 2006, 20:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
How many Jimi Hnedrix fans here? I am one.....just gotta love that guy......
ya dude love that guy to hell he is a true guitar god
anyways here goes my list
Metallica
Pantera
Guns n Roses
Iron Maiden
The doors
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
even i m surprised dosent anyone here listen to jimmy hendrix

Last edited by kooldude : 8th October 2006 at 20:44.
Old 8th October 2006, 23:16   #60
BHPian

Lol! Kooldude... who here DOESNT listen to dear ol' Jimmy er?! I think every one of us do! Just cause we might have omitted to mention him doesn't mean we don't listen to him!

Godspeed,

Alok

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks