Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 18:02   #706
BHPian

Opeth

Any Opeth fans here? There are strong rumors of a possible Opeth gig in Bangalore next February.

Will post here once it's official!
Old 14th December 2011, 18:06   #707
Senior - BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

I had seen them at Chennai. Bloody awesome!
Old 14th December 2011, 18:09   #708
BHPian

Opeth

Ok. It's official.

"Summerstorm Festival 2012 will see Prog giants Opeth headline"
Wolfheart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 19:18   #709
BHPian

Any guesses who's going to be featuring in Saarang next year?
Old 14th December 2011, 19:40   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Wolfie- someone said Lamb of God may also be there at Summerstorm. Another roadtrip?

I just downloaded a whole lotta metchul onto the USB drive for the car. Coroner, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Audioslave, Cynic and what not. Should be a fun drive home today!
Old 15th December 2011, 16:20   #711
BHPian

Noopsie - LOG stated in a recent interview that they were overwhelmed by the response in India and are looking forward to playing here soon. Seems unlikely though since the festival already has a headlining band.

Did you say Amon Amarth? Perfect music for blazing though Mumbai traffic.
Old 15th December 2011, 18:44   #712
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, will miss Opeth. Again! Won't be in town during the first week of February, and Opeth is scheduled to play on the 5th. This is depressing :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wolfie- someone said Lamb of God may also be there at Summerstorm. Another roadtrip?
Lamb Of God came and went while you were on Team BHP.

Quote:
I just downloaded a whole lotta metchul onto the USB drive for the car. Coroner, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Audioslave, Cynic and what not. Should be a fun drive home today!
That's quite a nice playlist. Why don't you throw in some old-timers in there?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th December 2011 at 18:46.
Old 15th December 2011, 19:06   #713
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear that Opeth will be playing in Bangalore. IIRC, the last time they'd played in Chennai at IIT? Couldn't make it then but will surely make it this time.

Camaan the Opeth on the playlist!
Old 15th December 2011, 19:11   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Lamb Of God came and went while you were on Team BHP.
Yup- I think someone got confused. LOG played Summerstrm last year.

Quote:
That's quite a nice playlist. Why don't you throw in some old-timers in there?
Thanks but one old timer is more than enough

I normally listen to Megadeth (the Friedman/Menza albums), Pantera, Alice in Chains on my commute. Also PT, DT, Opeth and some random Nordic nonesense that my pals keep shoving on me.

This is a nice change!
Old 15th December 2011, 19:25   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks but one old timer is more than enough

Quote:
I normally listen to Megadeth (the Friedman/Menza albums), Pantera, Alice in Chains on my commute. Also PT, DT, Opeth and some random Nordic nonesense that my pals keep shoving on me.

This is a nice change!
If you'd like another change, then you must try Tool. They're an American prog-metal band. Fairly new to the scene, but pretty good. One of those modern artists that you could tip your hat to. Go to the previous page for the links
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:27   #716
Senior - BHPian

I just listened to Metallica's Beyond Magnetic. I liked it! Sounds quite similar to their previous album.

And I am currently listening to Lou Reed and Metallica's Lulu. I HATE IT! Lou's voice is just not suited for Metallica's music. First sonf has James singing the same line throughout, as backing vocalist.
Old 25th December 2011, 13:27   #717
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
If you'd like another change, then you must try Tool. They're an American prog-metal band. Fairly new to the scene, but pretty good. One of those modern artists that you could tip your hat to. Go to the previous page for the links
Wouldn't say Tool is fairly new. In fact, they've been releasing albums in the early 90s. The only problem is that they release one album every 5 years! :P If you're just beginning with Tool, I would recommend starting with the AEnima album, then Lateralus and then 10,000 Days. AEnima is kind of a bridge between contemporary rock and prog rock, while Lateralus builds on it. 10,000 days would be best appreciated once you've become a proper Tool fan.

Btw, if you get a chance, check out the album cover artwork for 10,000 Days. It will blow you away. Not available in India, though...so had to ask a friend of mine to get it from UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I just listened to Metallica's Beyond Magnetic. I liked it! Sounds quite similar to their previous album.

And I am currently listening to Lou Reed and Metallica's Lulu. I HATE IT! Lou's voice is just not suited for Metallica's music. First sonf has James singing the same line throughout, as backing vocalist.
I didn't know about Beyond Magnetic, so thanks for posting about it. Now I know what I next need to get in the world of music.

I wanted some feedback on the LULU thingy ... you're saying it's not good? Theoretically, I would have thought it would have been ok...
Old 25th December 2011, 14:49   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
Wouldn't say Tool is fairly new. In fact, they've been releasing albums in the early 90s. The only problem is that they release one album every 5 years! :P If you're just beginning with Tool, I would recommend starting with the AEnima album, then Lateralus and then 10,000 Days. AEnima is kind of a bridge between contemporary rock and prog rock, while Lateralus builds on it. 10,000 days would be best appreciated once you've become a proper Tool fan.

Btw, if you get a chance, check out the album cover artwork for 10,000 Days. It will blow you away. Not available in India, though...so had to ask a friend of mine to get it from UK.
I'd heard of Tool a few years ago, and had heard a few songs. I liked their cover of No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, which itself is quite a legendary song, and covering it otherwise would be utter blasphemy. But Tool did a great job with it, I believe. Sounds raw and really good. Lots of impro' too, which I appreciate and look for in a cover.

I'd listened to Enima, but I did not like it much. Laterus is a great album, but 10,000 days just kills it. I like almost every song in that album! Absolute brilliance! Oh yes, and the Album Art work, I nicked a high-res one off the net and framed it and put it up on my wall. I guess that should say enough
Old 25th December 2011, 15:54   #719
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, and the Album Art work, I nicked a high-res one off the net and framed it and put it up on my wall. I guess that should say enough
You need to view the 3D effect, man. With the stereoscopic lenses that come attached to the CD sleeve.

BTW, I'm glad you liked 10,000 Days more then the other albums. I think it represents more evolution in the Tool sound, more uniqueness which sets them apart from other bands. Btw, also check out Peach's "You Lied", and the Tool version of the same song. Tool's version is outstanding.
PhX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 16:37   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
I didn't know about Beyond Magnetic, so thanks for posting about it. Now I know what I next need to get in the world of music.

I wanted some feedback on the LULU thingy ... you're saying it's not good? Theoretically, I would have thought it would have been ok...
You are most welcome mate :-).
Frankly, I have never been a fan of Lou Reed. In Lulu, he sounds like Bob Dylan!

I heard the first 4 tracks and I don't think I'll continue with the album. The riffs are good, but I did not find anything else good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks