Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 18:42   #811
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Although I do not subscribe to the logic of calming the nerves by lighter music it does help in some situations (also often when travelling with others, they tend to accept it : ).
so whatever floats your boat...
if you like Clapton, Led Zep, get onto Jimi Hendrix.
personally Petty is too bland for me, but from the lighter and older stuff I have a liking for The Who and Pink Floyd.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:48   #812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
How is Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Tom pEtty & BB King in your opinion for "On the Move" music listening.?
Clapton is very nice. Not to forget Dire Straits, Knopfler solo (was really thrilled to see him live from the fourth row).
And as Abhay mentioned, Floyd is the colour of all seasons. Gilmour solo albums are very nice too(On an Island).

Sometimes I also play Epica, Nightwish and Finnish band Riverhead (A la Dream Theater + Floyd).
Old 24th May 2012, 19:02   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Clapton is very nice. Not to forget Dire Straits, Knopfler solo (was really thrilled to see him live from the fourth row).
And as Abhay mentioned, Floyd is the colour of all seasons. Gilmour solo albums are very nice too(On an Island).

Sometimes I also play Epica, Nightwish and Finnish band Riverhead (A la Dream Theater + Floyd).
Great input, downloading Gilmour's works now, i already have all of Pink floyd's so no issues, thanks once again. Will Depeche Mode & Modern Talking fit the bill as we have drifted way away from Metal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Although I do not subscribe to the logic of calming the nerves by lighter music it does help in some situations (also often when travelling with others, they tend to accept it : ).
so whatever floats your boat...
if you like Clapton, Led Zep, get onto Jimi Hendrix.
personally Petty is too bland for me, but from the lighter and older stuff I have a liking for The Who and Pink Floyd.
I felt traveling safe happens when we are in our right spirits, i have a feeling that, if one listens to hardcore heavymetal stuff on the move, it will make a difference to his inner self, it may be a positive one because of the high energy sound or unknowingly it may also have a negative influence based on it's content.

My pick would be for solo's like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or Eric Johnson which are neutral content wise and very nice to hear on the move. My list of growing will make the list and type it for sure thanks a lot for the support.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:03   #814
BHPian

You could also try Viking Metal. First time I heard about this was when Finnish band Ensiferum came to perform in Mumbai( long time back ). The major theme is of Viking warriors / Gods / Mythical Creatures and Glory in Battle. You can give the album Victory Songs by Ensiferum a try for starters.

And yes, for music on the go even I prefer listening to Led Zep, Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones and Golden Earring, but nothing beats AC-DC when it comes to drive time music.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:06   #815
Senior - BHPian

^^^ similarly some Gothic Metal bands are also quite good, especially while driving. Try Virgin Steel for one.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:22   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ similarly some Gothic Metal bands are also quite good, especially while driving. Try Virgin Steel for one.
Thanks that sounds entirely new to me, point noted, will give a listen and get back, please standby for feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
You could also try Viking Metal. First time I heard about this was when Finnish band Ensiferum came to perform in Mumbai( long time back ). The major theme is of Viking warriors / Gods / Mythical Creatures and Glory in Battle. You can give the album Victory Songs by Ensiferum a try for starters.

And yes, for music on the go even I prefer listening to Led Zep, Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones and Golden Earring, but nothing beats AC-DC when it comes to drive time music.

Wow !!! Sounds promising

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 12:54. Reason: Next time infraction. Team-BHP does NOT permit any discussion on pirated content
Old 24th May 2012, 19:40   #817
Team-BHP Support

You must try Porcupine Tree. I think they're brilliant for driving.

Some of their songs do border on metal, but they're mostly alternative/progressive.

If you like nice happy bluesy rock, then you must listen to Cream.

Audioslave is a good band to listen to while driving too.

But all this is not metal, really.
Old 24th May 2012, 20:10   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You must try Porcupine Tree. I think they're brilliant for driving.

Some of their songs do border on metal, but they're mostly alternative/progressive.

If you like nice happy bluesy rock, then you must listen to Cream.

Audioslave is a good band to listen to while driving too.

But all this is not metal, really.
Yeah sure, my list has grown now, need to burn in some time on the stereo to accustom my ears to the new stuff that i plan to rip and upload it into the ipod, does your civic have ? Ipod connectivity from the OEM stereo ?
Old 24th May 2012, 20:19   #819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Yeah sure, my list has grown now, need to burn in some time on the stereo to accustom my ears to the new stuff that i plan to rip and upload it into the ipod, does your civic have ? Ipod connectivity from the OEM stereo ?
Nope. Ours is one of the first and only variant of the Civic that was available when it was introduced. It was devoid of some features/equipment like bluetooth/aux-input, steering-mounted controls, leather seats and so on.

That said, I prefer the old-fashioned way of listening to music off an Audio CD. Vinyls are even better.

I used to own a iPod, but my phone stores most of my music that I want while on the run.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:56   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

Team-BHP Mod Note : Guys, please be aware that we dont encourage any discussions on piracy.

Kindly do not engage in such discussions. Thanks for your co-operation !!!
Old 25th May 2012, 16:12   #821
BHPian

@sriram
dude, you're taking this too seriously. Just hang loose, play some metal and burn some rubber. Save the calm music for when you get old

If you must listen to religious / Christian metal then the only(musically) decent band I have come across is Mortification. It's Christian Death Metal (yes you read that right!).

However, religious metal is something of an anomaly. It's just not the real thing.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 25th May 2012 at 16:21.
Old 26th May 2012, 02:59   #822
BHPian

Im sure many of you here must have heard "Hallowed be thy name" by Iron maiden.
There is another version of the same song by Cradle of Filth going by the same name. Its an amazing rendition. Do try to listen to the same.!
Old 28th May 2012, 10:37   #823
BHPian

^When the original is so awesome and perfect, I doubt there is much point in listening to a cover by a poser band. No offence!

btw just for info, Bangalore Open Air venue has been changed from Palace Grounds to Acharya Institute!!!! Just when I had already booked a hotel close to PG and MG Road.

anybody going? I didn't get any response earlier. no one here likes Iced Earth or Kreator? or any of the tonnes of Indian bands on the bill...I expected atleast some Bangy boys to be there (and not just for LoG)
Old 28th May 2012, 10:42   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^When the original is so awesome and perfect, I doubt there is much point in listening to a cover by a poser band. No offence!

btw just for info, Bangalore Open Air venue has been changed from Palace Grounds to Acharya Institute!!!! Just when I had already booked a hotel close to PG and MG Road.

anybody going? I didn't get any response earlier. no one here likes Iced Earth or Kreator? or any of the tonnes of Indian bands on the bill...I expected atleast some Bangy boys to be there (and not just for LoG)
I have raised my hands twice before \m/ \m/

Thanks for informing about the change in venue.

Who all went for LOG?
Old 29th May 2012, 21:29   #825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Any Rush fans in the house?
New Rush Album rolling out in June (Clockwork Angels)

Amazon.com: Clockwork Angels: Rush: Music

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks