Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 13:15   #901
Senior - BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ Yes, I did check them out recently. Good stuff.

King Crimson has been on my playlist. I've got to say, Fripp is a genius!

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rLpTtp9lsLk
always did want to give king crimson a go. shall get home and take a listen to this thanks.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:20   #902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
always did want to give king crimson a go. shall get home and take a listen to this thanks.
If you like Maynard, here is his cover of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man

EDIT: Be warned. Crimson isn't exactly mainstream Metal / Rock. In fact, they've gained wide-spread popularity despite little-to-none radio / video airplay. They are not commercial and don't sound it the least bit. So it takes a little time to start liking them. They sort of grow on you if you stick around. If you don't mind that sort of thing.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st November 2012 at 13:23.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:35   #903
Team-BHP Support

A powerful Kamelot album Silverthorn, with a new vocalist.
(Oct release)

The new vocalist seems like twin of Roy!

http://www.metal-rules.com/review/vi...ear=2012&pos=0

Noq with the iTunes store now available in India, its much easier to lay your hands on the new releases!

Last edited by ampere : 24th December 2012 at 20:40.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:41   #904
BHPian

I have noticed that my 90HP Punto gains a few additional horses these days as soon as Pantera starts playing "Mouth For War".
Old 24th December 2012, 21:13   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I have noticed that my 90HP Punto gains a few additional horses these days as soon as Pantera starts playing "Mouth For War". http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo
: )
I remember my hero ranger also captured a few steeds when I put on the Grammy tape and Metallica's take on stone cold crazy came up.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:59   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Megadeth have a habit of doing that not a lot of talk or flash, but they are a tight unit live.

I was too busy tending to my own little thrasher who came into this world on Oct 12. People say you mellow with age and then being a parent etc, I don't think that's gonna happen to me though.
Congratulations!!! Megadave actually took the time to interact with the audience and that added to the whole experience. The sound, lights and the entire set up this time was way better than the Bangalore show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BTW Independance Rock 2012 will also have some Mumbai based Metal Bands including Pentagram, Brahma, Bhayanak Maut etc..sadily I am told other Indian Rock bands wont be included as this year the concert is very small.
I did go for Independence Rock this year and it was terrible. I managed to catch Blackstratblues (decent), Brahma (atrocious) and Pentagram (great performers but I don't dig the music).
Old 29th January 2013, 23:34   #907
Team-BHP Support

Best of 2012 as per Metal-Rules.

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews...f-2012-top-30/

Finally was able to get my hands on the Rick Wright Solo release Broken China.
Amazing Flyodian spirit with rich tones. The quiet guys surprises with brilliant music

Last edited by ampere : 29th January 2013 at 23:36.
Old 7th February 2013, 23:17   #908
BHPian

So the Fly Music festival is happening in Delhi on the 16th and 17th Feb. Among other bands, Anthrax, Mastodon and Deep Purple will be playing. Interestingly, there is a trackday in BIC on the 17th as well.

Delhi gets all the goodies dosen't it? Headbang on the 16th, racetrack on the 17th. My Manager is going to get a transfer request to New Delhi soon if this trend continues.
Old 7th February 2013, 23:55   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Didn't know Van Halen had released an album even. Any good??
Old 8th February 2013, 00:37   #910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Didn't know Van Halen had released an album even. Any good??
Its pretty decent. After all its Van Halen! As I said earlier thanks to iTunes store, buying them is very easy and one need not resort "other" means. Hardly 100-150 /- for the albums and that too the latest ones!
Old 8th February 2013, 10:21   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its pretty decent. After all its Van Halen! As I said earlier thanks to iTunes store, buying them is very easy and one need not resort "other" means. Hardly 100-150 /- for the albums and that too the latest ones!
I just bought the soundtrack to the movie "Suck" a few days back. Yeah gotta agree - though am a big anti-Apple guy!

Sometimes you have to sell your soul for rock n roll
Old 9th February 2013, 20:39   #912
BHPian

I came across this article recently and I am very disappointed (to say the least) to know that few of my favorite bands have used music inspired by other lesser known bands and have not bothered to give credits where its due.

P.S: I have not gone through all 60 pages of discussion on this thread and not sure if this has been discussed already. Sorry if I am
Old 10th February 2013, 00:20   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post
I came across this article recently and I am very disappointed (to say the least) to know that few of my favorite bands have used music inspired by other lesser known bands and have not bothered to give credits where its due.

P.S: I have not gone through all 60 pages of discussion on this thread and not sure if this has been discussed already. Sorry if I am
Metallica, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin?

If it is LedZep, be assured that they openly admit to taking inspiration from many artists before them. Though I won't totally agree to the article that they stole complete parts from them. Attention seeking article. The world was different then!
Old 10th February 2013, 03:02   #914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post

P.S: I have not gone through all 60 pages of discussion on this thread and not sure if this has been discussed already.
I wouldn't call it plagiarism as much as maybe 'influences'?

Led Zeppelin has been in the news for this. If you've heard 'When The Levee Breaks', you wouldn't guess that the song is actually a cover and the original is by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie in 1929. The original song is less heavy and more bluesy. I'm not aware if Led Zep had given them due credit.

Food for thought: Sean Kingston's 'Me Love' sounds uncannily similar to 'Dyer Maker' by Led Zeppelin.

There are plenty of songs out there that sound pretty similar.

Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 Phase-1 sounds almost identical to The Wall (part-1) by Pink Floyd. Even PT's Time Flies is not far off Pink Floyd's 'Dogs' from the Animals album.

Some bands take previously recorded / composed songs and make them their own. For example Tool's cover of No Quarter by Led Zepp, or Maynard's cover of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. Or a host of Nirvana tracks like 'The Man Who Sold The World' (originally by David Bowie) or even 'Lake Of Fire' (by The Meat Puppets) until I looked it up, I hadn't a clue that they were covers!

I'd take that article with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th February 2013 at 03:03.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:55   #915
BHPian

So who all are going to the FLY festival? Anthrax, Mastodon, Deep Purple and Nervecell! Should be fun but sadly I'll have to give it a miss.

And how is the new Cannibal Corpse album 'Torture'? Anyone heard it yet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks