Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 15:12   #991

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Gone are the days when Bangalore was a haven for rock and metal concerts. I didn't even see one ad for this festival anywhere.
It still is, if you count the number of metal bands that come down to perform or even the number of metal bands there are, in the city. The scene saw it's prime from '07-'12, but since then it's been depleting. And there's a reason that it was not promoted as it should be as the festival was initially crowd-funded, but it failed to raise up the adequate funds. So the promoter used whatever money that was crowd-funded (after funders' permission of course) to get these acts down.
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:01   #992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gone are the days when Bangalore was a haven for rock and metal concerts. I didn't even see one ad for this festival anywhere.
I used to buy Rock Street Journal from the little music store in Church Street. (I think it was called Habitat). He was the only guy who used to keep the good ones. I found and bought all my Rush, Yes, Led Zep collections and many more from him. Those were times, when these CDs were imports. Paid a fortune to buy them!

Times have changed. Today you just buy an mp3 online of a newly released album. That thrill of going to a shop and the ecstasy of having found the album no more exists.

I hope the fire for music continues though.

Last but not the least..

Endless River by Pink Floyd to be out on 10 Nov! (It also features Richard Wright who is no more)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver/

Its been so long since have heard that dreamy Gilmour guitar playing new material. Cant wait to buy (online)...

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2014 at 08:08.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:25   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I used to buy Rock Street Journal from the little music store in Church Street.
+1 to RSJ.

My bro and I were nuts about the magazine while we were growing up in the 90s. We loved the articles by Sam Lal - he used to have these long and eloquent intros that identified themselves as Sam's articles even before you checked the byline for the author's name.

In the later years, they had to widen their scope of coverage beyond pure rock/metal, presumably due to cost pressures, but they remained a great magazine.

We stopped our subscription when we went to college, and after that have had our fix of music news via the Internet.

But for that era when internet access was rare, and there was a craving for rock/metal articles, RSJ stood tall and satisfied many.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:32   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Times have changed. Today you just buy an mp3 online of a newly released album. That thrill of going to a shop and the ecstasy of having found the album no more exists.
While in Chennai in the early 80s, i discovered this brilliant shop in Mookambika complex who used to record cassettes for you from LPs. He had an amazing collection of LPs - from LZ to Rainbow to UH to Floyd, Tull - name the rock band and he had it. I used to buy them blank TDK 90 minute tapes, go to his shop listen to songs patiently, compose my playlist and give it to him and the recording would be out 3 days later. Wow - cant imagine doing that now. But we were a gang of kids and we loved the place. Not sure if it is still there

And Habitat - the slightly old dude with his flowing grey hair and mustache. Not sure if he is around. But me and him used to discuss Grateful Dead to kingdom come.

Quote:
Last but not the least..

Endless River by Pink Floyd to be out on 10 Nov! (It also features Richard Wright who is no more)
Lets wait and watch to see what the album promises to produce. Division Bell was so so. Hopefully this should be better, more in tune to Atom Heart Mother. I believe there is only 1 song with lyrics and the rest are instrumental. If so, yeah DG's guitar should surely weep. I still feel the best of their work came out with Waters.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:18   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to buy Rock Street Journal from the little music store in Church Street. (I think it was called Habitat). He was the only guy who used to keep the good ones. I found and bought all my Rush, Yes, Led Zep collections and many more from him. Those were times, when these CDs were imports. Paid a fortune to buy them!

Oh yes, good old RSJ! We got our news of rock bands only from RSJ. We used to eagerly wait for the copies to turn up at the local news-store. Also for the posters. Heck, I even ordered back copies of some awesome issues. I think I still have them lying around at home. RSJ was awesome.

And for us it was tapes. Small town and there was 1 store that used to deal in English music. We used to make a small list and ask the person there to get us the tapes and eagerly wait for them to turn up. Used to sometimes take up to 2 months to get them in hand. What an amazing feeling to get to listen to "just released" albums. Nostalgic.

Couldn't afford CDs - so we used to just rip em from a friend who could afford them and used to travel a lot even in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post

Lets wait and watch to see what the album promises to produce. Division Bell was so so. Hopefully this should be better, more in tune to Atom Heart Mother. I believe there is only 1 song with lyrics and the rest are instrumental. If so, yeah DG's guitar should surely weep. I still feel the best of their work came out with Waters.
Oh I loved Division Bell and still do. It was then I realised that I am not a Waters fan. Oh, no idea.

Last edited by naveenroy : 23rd September 2014 at 14:21.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:30   #996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
And Habitat - the slightly old dude with his flowing grey hair and mustache. Not sure if he is around. But me and him used to discuss Grateful Dead to kingdom come.
The very same guy! Bought lots of stuff from him! Never been that side for a long long time.

Quote:
If so, yeah DG's guitar should surely weep. I still feel the best of their work came out with Waters.
Oh I love the Gilmour sound. The bluesy, dreamy sound. On an Island was almost like an extension of Division bell.

Quote:
And for us it was tapes. Small town and there was 1 store that used to deal in English music. We used to make a small list and ask the person there to get us the tapes and eagerly wait for them to turn up. Used to sometimes take up to 2 months to get them in hand. What an amazing feeling to get to listen to "just released" albums. Nostalgic.
Oh yes! My first foray into the Floydian world was on a 90 minute BASF tape where I got delicate sound of thunder recorded. (It was a special one, as the regular ones were 60 minute tapes.)

Quote:
Oh I loved Division Bell and still do. It was then I realised that I am not a Waters fan. Oh, no idea.
Same here. Waters was a bit depressing. But still superb. The albums for me are Animals and Wish you were here. (Dark side not be mentioned).

Esp Animals.. What an album!

Last edited by ampere : 4th September 2015 at 20:35.
Old 7th November 2014, 22:45   #997
Team-BHP Support

The bards on to their next album.

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2014/1...he-red-mirror/
Old 10th November 2014, 21:06   #998
Team-BHP Support

Classic post-Waters Floyd'ian sound; the new album. And yes it does not sound like a Gilmour Solo. A gracious exit for the behemoths and a fitting finale for the man no more.

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2014 at 21:09.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:53   #999
Team-BHP Support

The new Blind Guardian Album "Beyond the Red Mirror" to be released Jan end. Thats what their social media update says.
Old 24th December 2014, 21:03   #1000
BHPian

The Classic Rock (1960s-1990s) Thread

Starting a new thread to discuss the era in which music was at it's best!

Right from Elvis Presley to Guns N' Roses, The Beatles to Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin to Nirvana! We will discuss them all here!

Which are your favourite classic rock artists/albums/songs?
Old 25th December 2014, 14:13   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Rock (1960s-1990s) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Starting a new thread to discuss the era in which music was at it's best!

Right from Elvis Presley to Guns N' Roses, The Beatles to Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin to Nirvana! We will discuss them all here!

Which are your favourite classic rock artists/albums/songs?
THANK YOU for starting this thread!

All time favorite songs will be-

All you need is love. Beatles. 1967.

We will rock you. Queen. 1975.

Hey Jude. Beatles.

Bohemian Rhapsody. Queen.

We are the Champions. Queen. 1975.

Of course, there are many other favorites. Many, many more.
Old 25th December 2014, 14:27   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
THANK YOU for starting this thread!

Of course, there are many other favorites. Many, many more.
Excellent choices FINTAIL!
I too am a big fan of the Beatlemania! My favourite Beatle is Sir George Harrison! And QUEEN Freddie Mercury! What a perfomer!! Proud to say he was an Indian

Other artists that I listen to:
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Black Sabbath
Bob Dylan
Bon Jovi
Cream
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dio
Dire Straits
Eric Clapton
Guns N' Roses
Jimi Hendrix
Judas Priest
KISS
Led Zeppelin
Megadeth
Metallica
Michael Jackson
Motorhead
Motley Crue
Oasis
Ozzy Osbourne
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Queen
RHCP
Rolling Stones
Rush
Scorpions
Steppenwolf
The Doors
The Who
The Police
U2
Van Halen

Only to name a few!

My favourite period was the 60s and 70s. Great talent and amazing songs!
Old 25th December 2014, 19:44   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Excellent choices FINTAIL!
I too am a big fan of the Beatlemania! My favourite Beatle is Sir George Harrison!
Ah.. The Silent Beatle. His melodies were really nice and brooding. Hope you have listened to his "Silent" guitar gently weeping!

Please Note: There are many many topics other than cars get discussed here. Its in our interests to keep such threads to a minimum. I think that would be the reason, why your separate thread would have been merged with this already existing one. But nothing stops one from discussing such topics!

Jeff Beck any one?

Last edited by ampere : 25th December 2014 at 19:47.
Old 25th December 2014, 20:03   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Ah.. The Silent Beatle. His melodies were really nice and brooding. Hope you have listened to his "Silent" guitar gently weeping!

Please Note: There are many many topics other than cars get discussed here. Its in our interests to keep such threads to a minimum. I think that would be the reason, why your separate thread would have been merged with this already existing one. But nothing stops one from discussing such topics!

Jeff Beck any one?
Yes sir! I realised that! Thanks a lot

Jeff Beck, Yes! Although not a big fan, but I have heard him and loved his tunes! I see you are a Maiden fan UP THE IRONS!
Other favourite artists?
Old 25th December 2014, 21:00   #1005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes sir! I realised that! Thanks a lot

Jeff Beck, Yes! Although not a big fan, but I have heard him and loved his tunes! I see you are a Maiden fan UP THE IRONS!
Other favourite artists?
Of course every thing that screams metal. Maiden, Floyd, Rush, Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Led Zep etc! Have all their albums in original! And if I tell you, I got into metal serious only in the second year of college! Till it was "ignorance is bliss"

Others that deserve mention: Queensryche, Dio, Blind Guardian and Priest. Even Bruce's solo albums have been very nice. I look out for melody in all of them. So more than anyhting else I look for that. Not much into AC/DC, Megadeath and Ozzy. Ritchie Blackmore with Dio had some amazing songs. Especially this one where Dio's range comes out to staggering proportions.

I remember TSK giving me Dio and Malmsteen song doing a cover of Dream On.

Did you listen to his last album? "The Devil you know"

On Voices: The Holy Trinity was: Halford, Bruce and Tate.
Of course the other two: Ozzy and Dio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks