Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 05:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

A thread for Rivetheads ..

Looking at the "Favourite music while driving " (and some of the nick names) thread i realised there are quite a few Rivetheads in this forum.. Often a Genre of this nature is sidetracked, honestly i dont have many i can relate with such kind of music.

I hope this thread will keep eachother posted with all the latest from the dark side ..
warning - likes of bryan adams , alanis ,linkin park ,Evanesence fans will be bashed ..

Anyone into Black Sabbath to Dimmu Borgir , tell us whats really on your playlist ..what new albums ,singles solos do you possess.
Who are your all time favourite bands ?

I will post on my behalf after this thread kicks off ...

REPRESENT !
Turbo Lover
turbo_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2006, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do Metallica, Godsmack qualify? duh they do! hehehehehehe.........
Old 6th February 2006, 09:36   #3
BHPian

My Hitlist

Godsmack, Metallica, Linkin Park, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, P.O.D., Black Sabbath, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Pantera, Distubed, GNR, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Prodigy, Pink Floyd, Rammstein, RHCP, Korn, Evanescence, Creed, Moby, Nivana, No Doubt, Offspring, Sound Garden, U2...

Phew..list over
Old 6th February 2006, 09:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think U2, green day, linkin park, ratm, limp bizkit, evanescence, creed and others qualify. theyre rock not metal.
Old 6th February 2006, 09:55   #5
BHPian

@iselro: Dats just my fav list
Old 6th February 2006, 11:47   #6
BHPian

Ah! Did someone mention metal?
Well glad of it. Here you go, in the order of my favs. Some are not pakka metal, mind you.
(1) GNR
(2) Iron Maiden
(3) Black Sabath
(4) Metallica
(5) Aerosmith
(6) Def Leppard

Fav songs? That will take me atleast a couple of hours to compile a list from the above.
Old 6th February 2006, 12:19   #7
BHPian

Pushkar I like your list :-)

Anyways I am more of a hard rock fan but my alltime favourite band is the one who ombined complex melody and compositions with pure speed metal -
Metallica

Althou as I have said before, I am not a fan of their post Load stuff (although S&M is fantastic )

My favourites would be (also including non metal acts, kinda tells you am kinda old too hehe)
- Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Joe Satriani, Dio, Scorpions, Sabbath, Ozzy
- Megadeth, Pantera, Rammstein, Linkin Park, Audioslave, Green Day,
System of a Down, Staind, 3 Doors Down, Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul

Some that I am not a "huge" fan but enjoy them nevertheless -
Led Zep (Jimmy Page!), Pink Floyd, Van Halen
Old 6th February 2006, 13:03   #8
BHPian

Ok turbo lover. I know this is a heavy metal thread, but I think leniency should be given to classic rock here! Well as far as my list goes (i've left out a lot from this list!), here it is: Slipknot (other than the mp3's, I have loads of vids of em), Metallica (have ALL their albums, most of their vids, and a special edition of their S&M DVD), Iron Maiden (have all albums), Megadeth (have most albums), all black sabbath albums and almost all the stuff done by Ozzy (including rare vids done with other bands and solos), Avenged Sevenfold (Bat country and Strength of the world are to die for!), Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Fozzy, Mastadon, Soulfly and LOADS of others. GnR all albums, Aerosmith, few of pantera, most of the Dream Theater stuff. In the classics section, I have most of Alice in Chains, Alice Cooper, ALL albums of Pink Floyd, and most of their vids, including some pretty rare ones, Van Halen, Ronnie James Dio, Joe Sat, Ugly Kid Joe, Ac/Dc, Led zep, have some Def Lepard stuff but not a very big fan of their's. Moving away from the mentioned genres I am a BIG fan of Dave Matthews Band (have ALL their albums), Nirvana (all albums including a coupla rare numbers), Liquid Tension Experiments (side project of DT), Tool and its side project, A Perfect Circle (have ALL the albums of both) (am a BIG fan of em too!), Alien Ant Farm (AWESOME drumming!!!), Staind, and loads of hard rock/all other genres of rock stuff!!!

godspeed.

Alok.
Old 6th February 2006, 13:37   #9
BHPian

My favourites include:-Megadeth,Metallica,Korn,Slipknot,Slayer,Korn,Iron Maiden,Guns'n' Roses

btw has anyone got that new Maiden DVD?

Last edited by TributE : 6th February 2006 at 13:38.
Old 6th February 2006, 13:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
Some are not pakka metal, mind you
They are not kachcha metal either. Hehe! Def Leppard is a pop band IMO ;-)

Cheers
Old 6th February 2006, 13:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nobody mentioned the Prince of Metal, Johnny James Dio, who along with Yngwie Malmsteen created one of the best Tribute albums ever.
check out the "Dream on" Aerosmith tribute by Yngwie if you want proof. Better than the original.
Also recommended is Holy Diver and dont talk to strangers by Dio.

Other favs of mine include Blind Guardian(To france-mike oldfield cover), Bright eyes(Acoustic and non-acoustic both rock).

If you guys have atleast 128kbps unlimited internet connection there are lots of online radios playing good metal. check out shoutcast.com and live365.com.
I discovered many great artists via online radio.
Old 6th February 2006, 13:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Wrong Wrong Wrong.
Do not confuse metal with Hard rock.
Aerosmith, Iron Maiden and even ozzy are not metal they are hard rock bands. Infact its very difficult to find a "British" metal band, most of the metal bands like Judas Priest, Blind guardian. Slayer, Pantera etc., are US based. Technically speaking Metal is a very very violent form of hard rock.
Old 6th February 2006, 13:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Read up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_music
Old 6th February 2006, 14:02   #14
BHPian

Here's my list in no particular order:

- Arch Enemy
- Dimmu Borgir
- Death
- Nightwish
- Emperor
- Stratovarius
- Angra
- Angel Dust
- Symphony X
- Dream Theater
- Sepultura
- Black Sabbath
- Slayer
- Pantera
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Iron Maiden
- Cradle Of Filth
- Judas Priest

Among the newer bands, SOAD kicks a**. I also listen to a lot of RATM and their new avatar, Audioslave.

Rock on!
Old 6th February 2006, 14:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Wrong Wrong Wrong.
Do not confuse metal with Hard rock.
Aerosmith, Iron Maiden and even ozzy are not metal they are hard rock bands. Infact its very difficult to find a "British" metal band, most of the metal bands like Judas Priest, Blind guardian. Slayer, Pantera etc., are US based. Technically speaking Metal is a very very violent form of hard rock.
Hell no. Judas Priest is 100% British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest

Slayer and Pantera are pure American Heavy Metal. The American bands were heavily influenced by British Metal acts like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest who set the stage for the Heavy Metal movement.

Cheers

Most Viewed