Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 14:06   #196
BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Study Table Chair

Hi Guys,

Need your guidance in purchasing two study table chairs.

Me being 6 feet 3 inches, need one with good lumbar support.

Princess is 13 years of age, and around 5 feet, needs one which could be used as she grows.

Any suggestions on the brands and model number will be really helpful in shortlisting the study table chairs
Old 9th June 2015, 12:12   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Study Table Chair

Hi Guys,

Need your guidance in purchasing two study table chairs.

Me being 6 feet 3 inches, need one with good lumbar support.

Any suggestions on the brands and model number will be really helpful in shortlisting the study table chairs
Few years back I bought two Godrej Interio wrought iron chairs - not originally for use with the study table. They proved excellent in that role, especially with a small (airline-type) pillow at the back. The chairs are quite heavy (12 kg each) and stable and support my back at just the right place. I am an inch shorter than you so I suppose it will work for you as well. It is much more comfortable for me than the swivel / executive chairs that are commonly available.

I found a link here

Price was around 4k+ each. It was expensive but the quality and finish is very very good. Not a bit of corrosion after nearly five years.

Last edited by Kumar R : 9th June 2015 at 12:15.
Old 9th June 2015, 19:08   #198
BHPian

Would you have any good references for doing (art) leather wall panelling and leather headboards for bed? I need to get this done in my bedroom.
Also, any idea on costs if you have done this?

Last edited by harishhm74 : 9th June 2015 at 19:19.
Old 11th June 2015, 07:50   #199
BHPian

Where do I get a table for my aquarium. I am finding it very hard to find one in hyderabad. Dimensions would be, 36*18*18

If it needs to be ordered, which wood, how to. Totally clueless!!
Old 11th June 2015, 15:47   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's another wood question.

I need to replace a bathroom door. It is a small bathroom/toilet, and the shower will actually go onto the door. The original door is now rotting (a few years back, I told Mrs G that no, just a coat of polish would not preserve it, it needed thick melamine coats, but I got over-ruled) and should be replaced.

Plastic would, for practicality, be best, but I am yet to see plastic doors that do not look like plastic doors. Glass would not suit the room. Would it should be.

Teak or related hardwoods is overkill and overbudget. What could I use? How is rubber wood at surviving damp?
Old 12th June 2015, 00:20   #201
BHPian

@thad e ginathom - a water proof flush door with a 3mm acrylic sheet at the back would solve your problem.
Old 30th June 2015, 02:24   #202
BHPian

Melamine Faced Particle Board

Looking to buy a bed.
Are the furnitures(mainly beds) made of Melamine Faced Particle Board strong and durable enough. I think solid wood is the strongest and most durable. While checking the site of many online and offline shops/brands I saw many of them use something that they mention as Engineered wood(fabfurnish,pepperfry,godrej interio) or Melamine Faced Particle Board(Damro). I used to have very low opinion about particle board as told to me by one hardware trader that in terms of strength and price its Wood> ply wood> Particle board.
But seeing so many brands using Melamine Faced Particle Board for load bearing furnitures like bed with storage I am wondering if particle boards are really that strong? Or is it that the structure is made of wood/iron and panels made of particle boards?
Any experience with particle board based furniture.

Last edited by huntrz : 30th June 2015 at 02:39.
Old 30th June 2015, 10:13   #203
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's another wood question.

I need to replace a bathroom door. It is a small bathroom/toilet, and the shower will actually go onto the door. The original door is now rotting (a few years back, I told Mrs G that no, just a coat of polish would not preserve it, it needed thick melamine coats, but I got over-ruled) and should be replaced.

Plastic would, for practicality, be best, but I am yet to see plastic doors that do not look like plastic doors. Glass would not suit the room. Would it should be.
Thad, any update on this ? Did you get it done ?
One option could be Sintex - they have a good range of PVC doors in some different colours, designs and finishes, so you may want to check that out.
Old 30th June 2015, 16:28   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thad, any update on this ? Did you get it done ?
One option could be Sintex - they have a good range of PVC doors in some different colours, designs and finishes, so you may want to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am yet to see plastic doors that do not look like plastic doors.
This is the reason I didn't suggest Sintex
Old 30th June 2015, 17:11   #205
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Of course, plastic will look like plastic regardless of the colour/finish, it's like Faux Wood trims in car interiors, will those be like real wood ?
I'm yet to see something Premium in Plastic/PVC doors.
Old 1st July 2015, 19:06   #206
BANNED

Looking for a good study table for my 4 year old, something that I can probably use for few more years. What is the best place to source them?
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:25   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
There are Sintex doors which do not look like plastic, but it is slightly costlier than regular one

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd July 2015 at 01:31.
Old 12th July 2015, 21:33   #208
BHPian

Folks, can someone tell me where I can get a reasonably priced file cabinet in India like the ones shown in the picture? I haven't been able to locate one in Bangalore so far.

The file cabinet needs to work with "hanging file folders" as shown in the picture. I don't know where to get the hanging file folders either. A lock is good, but not necessary. Similarly, being fire retardant, etc. is not strictly necessary.

I had one like this in the US many moons ago and I am missing it a lot considering how disorganized my documents have become.

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-file-cabinet.jpg
Old 13th July 2015, 10:32   #209
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Folks, can someone tell me where I can get a reasonably priced file cabinet in India like the ones shown in the picture? I haven't been able to locate one in Bangalore so far.
I think Pan office systems is an old player in the market for filing cabinets, if I remember correctly they have an office/showroom somewhere near KH Road (Double Road)/Shanthinagar area.
Link
Old 13th July 2015, 10:40   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Folks, can someone tell me where I can get a reasonably priced file cabinet in India like the ones shown in the picture?
Since Staples is now in India, perhaps you can try sourcing these from them.

I inherited an ancient, rugged Godrej file cabinet, but wanted to hang files like you do (hangover from my time in the US as well!). After searching around in Bangalore in 2006, I finally bought the necessary stuff for hanging files from Staples or Office Depot in the US while on a trip there in 2007.

Hanging File Frame: For some reason, clicking on a product is not showing it on Stapes' website; perhaps one needs to log in. So am linking to the page listing multiple products. Look at the wire-frame products. This came dis-assembled in a flat package, and I had to use a hacksaw to cut the long rods to the correct length, two for each drawer. Once cut, the squarish frames go on each end to prop up the rods. It is all made into one piece by using the nuts/bolts to secure the long rods to the square frames at each end. Then the finished frame is inserted into the drawer.

Hanging File Pockets: Look at the Smead Green, last but one on the page.

File Folders: to hang in the pockets above. These folders will contain the papers.

Note that the correct size for India would be Legal, not Letter, for all these items. And all these items are extremely heavy!

Most Viewed