Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 14:28   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Isn't that more or less what one might see in pretty much every couch that comes heavily padded?
Yes, it is, and I was talking generally: yours is no different. I guess I always had some idea that there would be fine carpentry under the padding!

Old 7th February 2020, 15:47   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, it is, and I was talking generally: yours is no different. I guess I always had some idea that there would be fine carpentry under the padding!

It's actually mine and to be honest with you, I expected much less inside, having picked up the set from one of the fly by night operators on ORR

I was told by my upholsterer when he was working on the set that the wood used in the set is of the type salvaged from packing crates. But apparently it's good and will last. Heaven knows if he was just trying to please me.
Old 7th February 2020, 15:54   #288
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I always had some idea that there would be fine carpentry under the padding!
It is not wrong to expect the inner work to be done to a standard even if it is meant to be hidden. But of course, that costs money.
For example, the work inside my bed, which we only get to see when we open the box is better than the underside of my sofa, which I can clearly see everyday when sweeping the floors. However, both were bought from very different kind of furniture shops and at very different price ranges.
Old 7th February 2020, 17:40   #289
Senior - BHPian

Got this done by Karlsson's Leather. Very nice sofa in genuine Italian hide.
Attached Thumbnails
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-img_20200207_170739.jpg  

reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 23:21   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
It is not wrong to expect the inner work to be done to a standard even if it is meant to be hidden. But of course, that costs money.
For example, the work inside my bed, which we only get to see when we open the box is better than the underside of my sofa, which I can clearly see everyday when sweeping the floors. However, both were bought from very different kind of furniture shops and at very different price ranges.
It's not wrong, but, yes, it is right to realise that it costs.

Yes, the woodwork in my British divan bed was very good too. Fully revealed after it was ruined by the Chennai flood. That (sprung divan plus sprung mattress) cost over 2,000 GBP almost twenty years ago.
Old 8th February 2020, 00:49   #291
BHPian

Quote:
It is quite shocking to see the woodwork inside even a half-decent sofa --- but I guess it is meant to be hidden, not on display, and it only matters if it is strong.
I got so sick of the furniture they sell even at high end stores, that I started buying wood and build my own furniture. What they sell is mostly, sawdust, glue and color paper packaged to look good on the outside.

Here is a queen bed I built for less than $100. The legs are 4"x4", the walls are 2"x10" Douglas fir stained to look like walnut. I have designed it to be broken down, so that it can be moved, the thing weighs a ton and is a monstrosity. I break a sweat moving just one side of this bed. But, it is stable than any other furniture we have. I have spent lots and lots of time building this, but I feel this will last us a while - a long while.

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-20190724_123756.jpg

By next summer, I hope to have thrown out all store bought furniture and build everything out of solid wood. I am currently designing and building a shoe rack, seat out of prime pine. I like to sit by the front door and take off my shoes/ put them on. It is impossible to find something that fits exactly in a given space, is of good quality, and affordable. Thanks to Bangalore University that taught carpentry to Electronics and Communications engineers.
An outdoor Adirondack sofa, cost < $100
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-20190602_093908.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th February 2020 at 01:18.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 02:30   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I got so sick of the furniture they sell even at high end stores, that I started buying wood and build my own furniture. ... ... ...
Very nice! Sadly, my own school woodworking lessons had little result.
Old 8th February 2020, 03:31   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Very nice! Sadly, my own school woodworking lessons had little result.
Thanks Thad. Did you have woodworking lessons with power tools? It is never too late to start using it!

What they taught us was to read the grain, use the chisel and the mallet to create things like dove tail joints, and T joints. I had no exposure to woodworking power tools. While I grew up in Bangalore, even the carpenters who built cabinets and furniture used hand tools. I really wish I had started doing woodwork earlier. I have spent so many hours driving from store to store helping my wife look for furniture of specific dimensions. Lot of times we ended buying things from Ikea that exploded.

There is a British guy named "Paul Sellers" on Youtube who inspires me to use hand tools, but I can't do a single thing he does. He carves a spoon out of scrap wood. For now, I am sticking to power tools and straight cuts.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 20:59   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Got this done by Karlsson's Leather. Very nice sofa in genuine Italian hide.
Looks wow! Can you please share the contact/pricing details (PM me if you don't want to reveal in open forum). I'm looking for exactly similar kind of sofa. Only dilemma is choosing fabric or leather. Our living room is on the top floor and it gets pretty hot, so concerned if leather could turn out sweaty, unless AC is on. I've heard pure leather is relatively cooler, so your feedback would help.
Old 10th February 2020, 09:30   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Looks wow! Can you please share the contact/pricing details (PM me if you don't want to reveal in open forum). I'm looking for exactly similar kind of sofa. Only dilemma is choosing fabric or leather. Our living room is on the top floor and it gets pretty hot, so concerned if leather could turn out sweaty, unless AC is on. I've heard pure leather is relatively cooler, so your feedback would help.
You'll find the address and all details here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html (Leather Car upholstery - Karlsson (Bangalore))

I am PM'ing you the pricing.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th February 2020 at 09:35. Reason: a small typo fixed, thank you!
Old 10th February 2020, 11:15   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn Gustsy thats some amazing work!

My ex girl friends dad was a wood worker after he retired. I wish I had spent more time with him in the workshop than with his daughter.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 17:09   #297
BHPian

Quote:
I got so sick of the furniture they sell even at high end stores, that I started buying wood and build my own furniture. What they sell is mostly, sawdust, glue and color paper packaged to look good on the outside.

Here is a queen bed I built for less than $100....
What wood did you use for the bed and did you employ a carpenter? Also, did it really cost less than 7k for the wood and everything?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th August 2020 at 20:00. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 8th August 2020, 18:04   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Thad. Did you have woodworking lessons with power tools?
Nope, but my general experience is that power tools make stuff faster rather than easier, and that it is a really good idea to get some skill by hand first. Also... one can screw up much more much faster with a power tool!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 00:07   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
What wood did you use for the bed and did you employ a carpenter? Also, did it really cost less than 7k for the wood and everything?
I used Douglas fir and some Pine for the headboard. They are normally used to build frames for houses. I consider myself a hobby carpenter/woodworker. I have posted some more of my household projects on the woodworking thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ng-thread.html (The Woodworking Thread)

Wood from trees native to US and Canada is not that expensive. A 8ft beam (2"x 4" cross section) is $2.64. I did not account for cost of things like screws, glue, sand paper and such as I buy those in bulk and use it for several projects.

Quote:
Nope, but my general experience is that power tools make stuff faster rather than easier, and that it is a really good idea to get some skill by hand first. Also... one can screw up much more much faster with a power tool!
You are absolutely right. I have made an incorrect cut, and rushed to the store for more wood - more than once. It is also easy to blow an eye or a finger with these power tools. I agree that I am learning it backwards. I am now a fan of Paul Sellers on You tube, and I am trying to learn the use of a chisel, hand plane and a spokeshave. I also realized how weak and out of shape I am, I am usually super sore after using the hand tools for a few minutes. 25 years of sitting at the desk - writing software takes its toll in different ways.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 10th August 2020 at 00:09.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:52   #300
BHPian

We are looking for a good sofa maker in Mumbai western suburbs to create a new wooden sofa for home.

Nothing caught our eye on the online platforms of Pepperfry, Urban Ladder and Royal Oak.

We also browsed through the popular furniture market at Bangur Nagar on Goregaon-Malad Link Road but most of them have gaudy styles and are asking for full payment in advance for any made to order items. We have had one less than satisfactory experience with this kind of dealing earlier and are not too keen with repeating it.

We have shortlisted few designs on Pinterest and are now looking to hire a reliable carpenter or sofa maker to make the wooden structure for us and we can get the cushion and upholstery done separately.

Any good references in Mumbai will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks