Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 08:06   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Hitanshu, check here for your limited quantity.
http://www.justdial.com/Delhi/creoso...ear%3E-kalkaji
Old 11th January 2012, 00:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

I have a strange requirement. I need a 'compact' sofa. I'm moving in to a house on first floor which has narrow staircase. So either the sofa needs to be really compact or it needs to be dismantle-able or foldable. I'm a noob when it comes to furniture. Requesting help from the gurus

EDIT: And yes, it has to be good looking too.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 11th January 2012 at 00:57.
Old 11th January 2012, 18:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I have a strange requirement. I need a 'compact' sofa. I'm moving in to a house on first floor which has narrow staircase. So either the sofa needs to be really compact or it needs to be dismantle-able or foldable. I'm a noob when it comes to furniture. Requesting help from the gurus

I did have a look at Big Bazaar furniture. Lot of them can be dismantled. But the quality of wood is pretty pathetic. Any ideas??
Old 11th January 2012, 19:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did have a look at Big Bazaar furniture. Lot of them can be dismantled. But the quality of wood is pretty pathetic. Any ideas??
You did not mentioned the most important thing - Budget -

Narrow stair case!! My front door width was less than (1") the sofa width I ordered

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th January 2012 at 19:40.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 19:38   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:

Normally packers and Movers haul up cupboards and large furniture via a pulley and rope from a facing balcony. See if you have the option ...

-Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 23:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for replying, guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You did not mentioned the most important thing - Budget -

Narrow stair case!! My front door width was less than (1") the sofa width I ordered
My budget is around 30-40k. There is one portion of the staircase which is only 2' 2". Thats my real concern. If it was atleast 2' 6", there wouldnt be any worry at all since I find lots of furniture of that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Normally packers and Movers haul up cupboards and large furniture via a pulley and rope from a facing balcony. See if you have the option ...

-Ragul
Nope, thats one more problem. Because of security concerns, the owner has covered all open sides by grill.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because of security concerns, the owner has covered all open sides by grill.
Going OT, but this is a major safety risk like in case of a fire. Better find a different apartment rather than a different Sofa
Old 12th January 2012, 00:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Going OT, but this is a major safety risk like in case of a fire. Better find a different apartment rather than a different Sofa
Hows that? Sorry, my knowledge is limited in these things.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hows that? Sorry, my knowledge is limited in these things.
IMO any place should have at least 2 points of exit. So, in case of an emergency, if the main door is blocked, you can escape (or be rescued) through another route. Closing the balcony with grill thus effectively blocks your escape route.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:41   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Closing the balcony with grill thus effectively blocks your escape route.
Offtopic, but nevertheless.. that is also the very reason why such a practice is illegal as per the law.
Old 27th January 2012, 15:55   #71
BHPian

I have a different requirement. I recently bought a new sofa and I want to dispose my old sofa set. Initially I had thought it was going to be easy to dispose old furniture but It seems its not that easy at all. I have tried contacting the numbers listed through google. But unfortunately the response from the second hand dealers has been pathetic. So here I am with two sofa sets lying in my living room since the last month, with no space to walk around .

Can anyone let me know of any second hand furniture purchasers in and around koramangala area. ?
Old 27th January 2012, 16:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I have a different requirement. I recently bought a new sofa and I want to dispose my old sofa set. Initially I had thought it was going to be easy to dispose old furniture but It seems its not that easy at all. I have tried contacting the numbers listed through google. But unfortunately the response from the second hand dealers has been pathetic. So here I am with two sofa sets lying in my living room since the last month, with no space to walk around .

Can anyone let me know of any second hand furniture purchasers in and around koramangala area. ?
Another option would be to try advertising in classifieds sites such as craigslist, olx, sulekha, quikr etc. Ensure to put up some nice snaps of your sofa if you decide to advertise.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:26   #73
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Offtopic, but nevertheless.. that is also the very reason why such a practice is illegal as per the law.
Do you have cite for this law?
Old 30th January 2012, 11:16   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Try using the help of your friends working in IT companies, who have access to a bulletin board which can be used to advertise 'For Sale' goods. Usually, these help you get good buyers, and is free of cost. I have used the infy bulletin board with great success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Do you have cite for this law?
I dont think i can provide a reference for this, but i do know that Occupancy Certificate (OC) is not issued if there are any external modifications to the house, unless approved. Also, as this effectively closes out an escape route, this is certainly not allowed. In fact, my builder ensured residents who had covered their balconies removed them, as this would hinder the issue of OC.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:28   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I dont think i can provide a reference for this, but i do know that Occupancy Certificate (OC) is not issued if there are any external modifications to the house, unless approved. Also, as this effectively closes out an escape route, this is certainly not allowed. In fact, my builder ensured residents who had covered their balconies removed them, as this would hinder the issue of OC.
My builder covered all balconies with grills before he gave them to the residents.

Most Viewed