Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 00:14   #91
BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Folks in Bangalore can checkout KSFIC ( www.ksfic.com ) for solid wood stuff.
They are a government corporation and provide furniture to government institutions. Haven't purchased anything from them, but aware of their products/work.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am sorry but i asked for entire kitchen and wardrobe. Not single chair
Sorry - meant to quote the post above yours. For the kitchen - Godrej seems VFM if you consider the warranty support they provide. They also have a modular wardrobe product.
Old 20th January 2013, 08:18   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
For the kitchen - Godrej seems VFM if you consider the warranty support they provide.
How is Godrej Warranty better than others?

BTW, my kitchen is from Sleek Kitchen and the only grouse I have is that post warranty service visiting charges are rather high - Rs. 600 for the visit.

Overall for kitchens, my only advice is go for Marine Ply. Do not even think about MDF.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post

Sorry - meant to quote the post above yours. For the kitchen - Godrej seems VFM if you consider the warranty support they provide. They also have a modular wardrobe product.
Yes i am considering them seriously. I Also came across Timbor cucine. They seemed professional but haven't heard much about them. May be people in Mumbai or gujarat can provide feedback
Old 8th February 2013, 03:19   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

I Need A New Chair in Chennai

I need a new chair. It needs to keep me comfortable as I spend my life slumped in front of a computer. It needs to be able to deal with bad posture as well as good, without forcing sharp bits into me.

I have been sitting in the current chair since 1992, and, given that I am 60years old, I am looking for the last office chair I ever buy myself, except maybe as a 90th birthday treat! My current chair is made by Vitra. I didn't buy it: it got slung out of the office, along with a heap of other stuff including myself and many of my colleagues. (Takeovers, eh?) It is at least twenty years old, none of its adjustments work any longer, and it has really lost most of its comfort.

Yes, I want a posh chair, and I know it is going to be expensive. How posh? I have yet to find out how much they cost here. Herman-Miller Posh? Maybe. Herman-Miller-Aeron Posh? Probably not!

Where do I go, in Chennai, to check out posh office chairs? I have Buildcraft noted for Herman Miller themselves, I don't know if they sell anything else, or if they are prepared to sell one chair to one guy.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:53   #96
BHPian

Re: I Need A New Chair in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I need a new chair. It needs to keep me comfortable as I spend my life slumped in front of a computer. It needs to be able to deal with bad posture as well as good, without forcing sharp bits into me.

Where do I go, in Chennai, to check out posh office chairs? I have Buildcraft noted for Herman Miller themselves, I don't know if they sell anything else, or if they are prepared to sell one chair to one guy.
Hi,

Go for Herman Milller - Mirra or Aeron , Haworth - Zody , Steelcase - Leap V2 or Human scale - Liberty.

These chairs are in the same category and ergonomically the best in the world.

I know Herman Miller does retail selling and have a showroom here in bangalore ( just recently they had a 25% discount on the entire range ). Not very sure whether the rest do retail selling here as they cater primarily for commercial office spaces.

I know the head of Herman Miller in India. Give me your complete details and contact. I will speak to them and see what best can be done.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:50   #97
BANNED

Quote:
I have been sitting in the current chair since 1992
You should consider getting up at least once a year.

Anyway, what chair/position do people think is best for work with a laptop for long hours? I am not looking for very expensive stuff.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:48   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should consider getting up at least once a year.

My wife says the same. She is trying to blame my entire current problem on my at-desk posture, which is not fair, but it probably contributes. Even as an IT manager, our health&safety policy was to advise people to take a few minutes break every hour. My doc just told me ...every 30 minutes.

Quote:
I know the head of Herman Miller in India. Give me your complete details and contact. I will speak to them and see what best can be done.
That's great! I'll check out if I can visit the showroom here (Buildcraft, Harrington Rd) and do so, but I'll contact you before buying
Quote:
what chair/position do people think is best for work with a laptop for long hours?
Sit at a desk, just as you would with a desktop machine. I worry more about the posture effect on the laptops when I see people sitting with them on soft surfaces (including laps), obstructing the airflow.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:46   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Sit at a desk, just as you would with a desktop machine. I worry more about the posture effect on the laptops when I see people sitting with them on soft surfaces (including laps), obstructing the airflow.
What about something like this - http://www.at-home.co.in/furniture/x...34-31500133493

Has anyone tried this or something similar?
Old 8th February 2013, 22:37   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Haa Haa... a lap top for a laptop! No idea how comfortable it would be in a hot humid climate, but better than the direct heat of the laptop itself.

Even with a laptop, which I don't use very often, I still prefer to keep it on a table and sit in a chair.
Old 11th February 2013, 22:15   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
I'm going to look at the Herman Miller range tomorrow, at Buildcraft, in Chennai. Won't be buying on the spot anyway, as I have to arrange funds for this, which will take a few days.

Your account does not seem to be PMable as yet. If you would be kind enough to email me then I can reply. Any name at all at mridangam dot com will reach me as it is my domain.

I thought the Aeron was well over 1 lakh, but it is not nearly that much. Not even the most expensive chair they make! So... Might be making a home for one
Old 12th February 2013, 05:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:

Your account does not seem to be PMable as yet. If you would be kind enough to email me then I can reply. Any name at all at mridangam dot com will reach me as it is my domain.

Hi, I have sent the email on your domain id.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:44   #103
BHPian

Even I'm looking for a chair for my better-half. She just suffered from a herniated disc and the doc had advised her to take complete rest for 3 weeks and then some physiotherapy. So now that she's got a green signal to sit-up from the Doc (after 3 weeks of rest), she's looking for a comfy chair. Can anyone suggest a decent chair under 10K for her? She's got permission to work from home for the next two months. So she'll start putting in an hour or two and then when she's fine she'll join work. But what chair should I get her for this interim period?
Old 12th February 2013, 19:03   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Do they have decent chairs at her work? Rather than spend your money, could they let you have one at home. Perhaps she could even have her own chair from the office until she returns to her desk. If they are looking after her re the sick leave and work-from-home, they might do this too? ps... love the sig!

Herman Miller Test Drive

I went to Buildcraft this afternoon and bored my poor wife while I spent an hour or so sitting in and out of different chairs. Whilst I had not intended to include the Embody, it inevitably got dragged in to make a threesome of chairs to test.

The Embody... It does. It embodies you. It has a kind of multipoint suspension system for seat and back. The seat is comfortable. The back supports all the way from thigh to shoulder. The cut out back gives elbow room, although it makes it look less of a chair. Fewer knobs and levers (it seems to do most things without being asked) but the arm adjustment is the best of the three. It looks less of a chair; you wouldn't pick it out in a line of office furniture as being anything posh at all... but it costs just a ridiculous amount of money. It's probably worth it if you have the cash, or you're a big man in a big company, and, probably like most of its purchasers, the company is paying. I wouldn't say no!

The Mirra...Is, notwithstanding my innate ability to pick the most expensive item in any shop blindfolded, the one I expected to prefer. It is actually the cheapest of the three, but "cheap" is the wrong word because it's Herman Miller, and they don't do cheap! It is a very comfortable chair. I would be delighted to find myself sitting in one if, for instance, it came with a job. I'd have no complaints at all. It's winning feature is the adjustable waterfall front to the seat: no hard or sharp edges. It's loosing features for me is that the seat is too firm, and the back does not support the shoulders. The tilt feels like a real recline, but it lacks shoulder contact, at least for a light-weight guy like me. Also, without a headrest (and H Miller, for some reason, don't do headrests with these chairs) there is only so much point in reclining anyway.

The Aeron... Oddly, this is a chair of which an ex-boss of mine, almost certainly on ten times the salary, maybe a hundred times including the Japanese ex-pat package, said, "It's wonderful, but the company can't afford it." Well, now I'm on my own, retired and ok, but not rich ...and looking at affording it! It is probably he most famous office chair in the world, but it is not perfect, nor does everybody love it. You can find it described, from the dot-com era, as a ridiculous, uncomfortable waste of venture-capital cash. The seat and back are softer than the Mirra; it spreads the weight better. The recline doesn't feel quite as good, but, apparently, there about 40 turns to the tilt tension adjust, so that might be workable on. Like the Embody, it does give a shoulder massage as you tilt back (the Mirra doesn't). Just that the Embody feels like it massaging you all the time. It's got just a silly amount of knobs and levers. It's downside is the sharp front edge to the seat. I think this needs managing, by making sure that the hight adjustment is right, and using a footrest if necessary. I use a footrest anyway. That it is a design icon, and quite the most impressive-looking of the three might be an advantage to some. It looks twice the price of the Embody, but sadly, it is more like the other way around!

The turning point in the whole test drive was when I realised that sitting, slouching, turning this way and that, in each chair, on the open floor, only told so much. It was necessary to move deskside, because that is where is will be used, and it is the level of the arms that actually determine the right hight for the chair. This also made the hard front edge of the aeron less noticeable.

Hmm... I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to sit the way I'm sitting right now, with one foot underneath me, and the other on the front edge of the seat, on an Aeron. I forgot that one. I did try these chairs with a variety of slouches and bad postures; heck, we do put our feet on the desk sometimes! Actually, one factor they all have in common is they do encourage good posture. If I do buy one, it will do me good. Might even outlive the chair!

Quickly checked out one chair with a very hard seat and back, rejected, and one chair with a foam cushion seat. After the three test chairs, foam cushion is just too ordinary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77
Hi, I have sent the email on your domain id.
Thanks! Received and answered.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th February 2013 at 19:06.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 21:25   #105
BHPian

Thad, why a posh office chair?

Why don't you consider a Rocking Chair, with firm cushions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks