Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 17:09   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there some cane workshop in Bangalore where they make furniture and other items using cane? I am fine with a cane furniture shop that takes custom orders.
I had checked some out in Audugodi - in the same building complex as the Traffic police station. You can enquire with them. AFAIK, they do take custom orders.
Old 13th July 2016, 17:55   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I had checked some out in Audugodi - in the same building complex as the Traffic police station. You can enquire with them. AFAIK, they do take custom orders.
Thanks, that is the same road between forum mall and B.G road turn off, I think. Do you have the business name details, like to talk to them before I travel that far south.
Old 13th July 2016, 18:14   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that is the same road between forum mall and B.G road turn off, I think. Do you have the business name details, like to talk to them before I travel that far south.
Yes, thats the spot. I've moved out of Koramangala but will try and get their contact details.
Old 14th July 2016, 08:23   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Is there some cane workshop in Bangalore where they make furniture and other items using cane? I am fine with a cane furniture shop that takes custom orders.
Shivajinagar: https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...7.605799?hl=en

I got my bo staff made by them. They have all kinds of cane furniture too.
Old 14th July 2016, 09:40   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
That's exactly what I wanted made. Thanks, I'll pay them a visit. Hard to get a rattan jo/bo in India otherwise.
Old 10th September 2016, 16:52   #246
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We were looking for a smallish 6 seater (4 chairs + 1 bench) dining set, maybe 5 feet x 3 feet.

Found these so far:
1. Rose or Teak wood set - Table top Toughened glass/Plywood+Veneer - ~70 to 80k :Shocked:

2. Similar sized set in Rubber wood - ~35k

*At shops nearby

3. Then tried the online stores like Urban Ladder/Pepperfry/Fab Furnish - similar sized sets in Solid wood (Sheesham/Mango) - ~35-45k

Now, a bit confused:
1. Is it worth spending a bomb on Rose/Teak wood ? Almost decided No!
2. How are the products of Urban Ladder (has a Tata connection=reliability?), Pepperfry and Fab Furnish (online store front selling products from various manufacturers/brands) ?
3. Between Rubber wood, Sheesham, Mango which is better ? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other ?
Old 10th September 2016, 17:15   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

1) 3' will be a little narrow. You need more almost 1.5' for each side. Where will you place the vessels with the food ?

2) If going for Ply+veneer, then a glass top very much required. Veneer will not sustain this usage.

3) if On-line - ensure that the item is opened in front of you at delivery before you sign for it. We & a friend have had problems - damages (inspite of packing, cushions missing / mis-matched), lot of follow-up etc.
Old 10th September 2016, 17:59   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How are the products of Urban Ladder (has a Tata connection=reliability?), Pepperfry and Fab Furnish (online store front selling products from various manufacturers/brands) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
3) if On-line - ensure that the item is opened in front of you at delivery before you sign for it. We & a friend have had problems - damages (inspite of packing, cushions missing / mis-matched), lot of follow-up etc.
I purchased two Lazboy recliners from Urbanladder in the last two months. Have had a great experience and great price as well. I checked the same item at Stanley and it was priced at 45-50% more than I paid. Secondly they personally deliver the product and allow inspection etc
Pepperfry uses regular couriers who will not permit opening and inspection. I had ordered two bedside tables from pepperfry in 2013 and I received the product well packed but very dirty and it also has a shake. The draws don't open smooth and one of them has developed a crack on top. I probably won't buy pepperfry again due to this experience.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 18:50   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were looking for a smallish 6 seater (4 chairs + 1 bench) dining set, maybe 5 feet x 3 feet.
For dining tables, cots etc you can get some decent deals in ebay.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Modern-Wooden...0AAMXQDfdRrJx4
These are Rajasthan based furniture makers and fit and finish are really good. The only risk factor is damage during transport. I could not find solid wood furniture cheaper than them any where.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Pepperfry uses regular couriers who will not permit opening and inspection. I had ordered two bedside tables from pepperfry in 2013 and I received the product well packed but very dirty and it also has a shake. The draws don't open smooth and one of them has developed a crack on top. I probably won't buy pepperfry again due to this experience.
Pepperfy now allows you to open items during delivery. They themselves do it for you. I think this is in their own interest for damage claims later. Atleast separate reverse pick up is not needed. Also Pepperfy has their own transport now.

Last edited by poloman : 10th September 2016 at 18:55.
Old 11th September 2016, 13:13   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
These are Rajasthan based furniture makers and fit and finish are really good.
Also Pepperfy has their own transport now.
I was out on the outskirts of chennai and happened to see a pepperfry truck yesterday and remembered this post of mine :(
Looks like they have started their own logistics for delivery.

A word of caution, the eBay seller you mentioned is indeed very cheap but I realized he is using pictures from other sites and what you see is not probably what you will get. I will try and get actual pics from him of any of the products that he has ready in stock.
Old 11th September 2016, 13:50   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was out on the outskirts of chennai and happened to see a pepperfry truck yesterday and remembered this post of mine :(
Looks like they have started their own logistics for delivery.

A word of caution, the eBay seller you mentioned is indeed very cheap but I realized he is using pictures from other sites and what you see is not probably what you will get. I will try and get actual pics from him of any of the products that he has ready in stock.
I have bought dining table and coffee table from these guys. Both of them are of acceptable quality. No furniture is going to look the same way as in photos. But in almost all of these cases minor transportation damage was present. Also some issues like drawers not opening in summers however will be present.
Old 12th September 2016, 00:49   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have 6ftx3ft granite slab just placed on a strong stand. Pick your color. Looks great, very sturdy, maintenance free, almost indestructible. Don't have to worry about hot vessels or coasters. It can take any amount of abuse.

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-inbmbp6kxl.jpg
Old 12th September 2016, 05:07   #253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It is worth going and seeing some of the furniture at Fab India. They use Mango Wood and Shisham Wood. Shisham is "Indian Rosewood".
The Fab India furniture is mostly solid wood and of a very good quality and standard of finish as well. Probably about 30% more expensive than Pepper Fry but frankly it is worth paying that premium for the better quality of wood and finish that they provide.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:11   #254
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks great, very sturdy, maintenance free, almost indestructible. Don't have to worry about hot vessels or coasters. It can take any amount of abuse.
Thanks Samurai!

Yes, we've been considering a Granite table top too, in fact the design of the table we were looking for is something very similar to the picture you've shared, some of them we've seen recently (rubber, sheesham, teak):
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-1-rubber-wood.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-2-teak-wood-galss-top.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-3-sheesham-ply-veneer-top.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-4-teak-wood.jpg

Only concern is the weight of the granite top in case we need to move the dining table away from it's regular position, there are some possible scenarios that may require this at our home

How easy is it to move the 6' x 3' table ?

Alternative to the granite top (if too heavy) may be toughened glass (I don't like a full glass top so quite unlikely)
or
a Plywood+Teak Veneer top+glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Fab India furniture is mostly solid wood and of a very good quality and standard of finish as well. Probably about 30% more expensive than Pepper Fry but frankly it is worth paying that premium for the better quality of wood and finish that they provide.
Thanks Shankar!
I prefer to avoid buying furniture online, I'd rather buy it at a store after seeing it, so yes Fab India is also one of the places to visit soon.

Last edited by NPV : 12th September 2016 at 11:12.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:23   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Finally found a supplier in Mangalore, he is charging me ₹225 per 5 1/2 ft staff. I got many done for my office gym.

Quote:
How easy is it to move the 6' x 3' table ?
You will need at least 4 people, or 2 very strong people to move the table top. The stand can be moved independently by a single person. The top is just kept on the stand, gravity keeps it secured.

I have two of these, for my both my locations. It is very practical because of the zero maintenance. One is 12 years old, the other is 7 years old. Both look new even now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks