Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:05   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wildlife Sanctuary Management : Do's and Don'ts

National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS)

When I first heard about this I was floored. The Government of India guarantees every villager atleast 100 days of employement as per this scheme. Usually it involves maintenance work on roads or irrigation projects. National park authorities must work closely with the local Collectors and concerned administrators to leverage the NREGS to improve park administration.

Sadly a large chunk of these funds are being siphoned off by corrupt government officials and most often even the NGO's are hand in glove with the plunder.

There are many other very innovative human welfare programs launched by the governement which if implemented well would be a great aid to helping alleviating some of the suffering of the people living close to parks, whose lives have become dependent on forest produce.

Basically when I went into forests to understand the pain and suffering of the animals and plants I came back feeling deeply for the pain and suffering for the people living in and around the forests. They have so little to look forward to in life. Their survival is a big question mark and no one seems genuinely bothered about their welfare. Politicians pander up to them at election time and then conveniently forget the plight of the constituents once elected only busying themselves in hoarding illgotten wealth using their office.

I hope I have been able to throw some light on how complex the subject of Wildlife Park Management is in India. Its more about people than wildlife and we are doing too little to make a difference
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wildlife Sanctuary Management : Do's and Don'ts

Indeed a sad state of affairs.

I saved this bird on my last trip to the Panna Sanctuary, from the hands of village boys who had tied strings to its feet and wobbling it around like a ball. Pathetic.

Wildlife Sanctuary Management : Do's and Don'ts-panna-bird-saved.jpg

Some Tiger Sightings too. Now I hear there's none there...

Wildlife Sanctuary Management : Do's and Don'ts-panna-tiger1.jpg

Wildlife Sanctuary Management : Do's and Don'ts-panna-tiger.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2011 at 21:28. Reason: Removed duplicates, You dont need to put attached images in post using IMG tags :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks