Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 20:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

I have a Canon 5D that I bought it in India long time ago but I dont have any bills for it with me now. I am visiting London on business for a week and I plan to take this camera with me, but I don't want to be harassed by Customs while returning back to India. I guess it gets easier if I have the bill, but what to do if I don't have any bills? Thanks!
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 21:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

You don't need bills, you don't need any paperwork at all. When you exit the country, declare your camera to customs upon exit. They are likely to make a fuss about it - why to declare, don't bother, etc etc - but be firm and polite and insist on declaring it officially.

It is a 5 minute form filling exercise. Keep that form safe!

When you return, and someone stops you in the Green Channel, you can show them the form. And wear a smug grin!

EDIT: I have done this a couple of times when exiting the country from Bangalore airport.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 29th July 2011 at 21:07.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 21:08   #3
MCR
BHPian

Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

Yes, just declare the camera at the port of exit. The customs will give you an endorsement of the same on the passport. However, as kiloalpha has stated, insist for the endorsement with the customs officials.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have a Canon 5D that I bought it in India long time ago but I dont have any bills for it with me now. I am visiting London on business for a week and I plan to take this camera with me, but I don't want to be harassed by Customs while returning back to India. I guess it gets easier if I have the bill, but what to do if I don't have any bills? Thanks!
just go to customs after your security check while boarding the flight for departure from India and tell them that i am carrying this with me . they will give u excuses like "one camera is allowed " " not required" but insist on a written declaration. they will write the same on your paper ticket mentioning the serial no with a stamp of customs and signature . been doing this for eternity now in delhi. should be same in other part of india. note it's not written on your passport.

PS:- make sure S.no is correctly written there by official.double check .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 29th July 2011 at 21:17. Reason: added info
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 21:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks folks. That is a relief. Do I have to get separate form for each item (camera, iphone, laptop, etc.)? Or can I list everything in one form?
Old 29th July 2011, 21:18   #6
BHPian

there is no form as such in delhi . they write it on your paper ticket after seeing the boarding pass .
Old 29th July 2011, 21:22   #7
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
just go to customs after your security check while boarding the flight for departure from India and tell them that i am carrying this with me . they will give u excuses like "one camera is allowed " " not required" but insist on a written declaration. they will write the same on your paper ticket mentioning the serial no with a stamp of customs and signature . been doing this for eternity now in delhi. should be same in other part of india. note it's not written on your passport.

PS:- make sure S.no is correctly written there by official.double check .
I always write the serial numbers and passport number myself and just take the seal and signature from the customs officer. Later I just ask him to staple the same on the passport last page.

Quote:
Thanks folks. That is a relief. Do I have to get separate form for each item (camera, iphone, laptop, etc.)? Or can I list everything in one form?
Everything on a single sheet of paper. Please refer to the link.
Baggage Rules at a glance - CBEC
Old 29th July 2011, 21:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No one is going to bother you about the iPhone or the laptop, atleast I have never faced that.But to be on the safe side put everything on that form. For the camera, once you take the boarding pass and go to the first floor towards security you will see a desk on the right with a board to declare the camera. Usually the guy who stands there is a pretty pleasant fellow, just fill the form and if you have any query ask him.

Have a good trip
Old 29th July 2011, 21:24   #9
BHPian

Go to Customs desk after immigration and declare the same.
You will be asked to fill a certificate where you declare the goods and their identification. Then the officer will stamp the same. He might inspect your camera.

Earlier they used stamp the same on passport and was called EP (Export permit) Now this certificate is issued.

I have done this umpteen number of times and recently on 10th July again.

When I said I wanted to declare camera the Duty Officer asked if it was an SLR. IF not then they tell that the process is not required. Mine is a bridge camera. Hence the officer told that since this camera looks like an SLR might as well declare.

I was not asked to show receipt though I was carrying one.

OT: THe point is that customs are quite straightforward.
In last 10 years I must have passed Mumbai airport customs numerous times. None of the times I was harassed. This time I bought an inexpensive LCD 42 inch TV and was let to walk away without any duty since the price was less than my import limit.
So don't bother keep paperwork clear and relax.
Old 30th July 2011, 01:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you are not carrying anything in obscene quantities - no one in customs even bothers to look at you. They know very well whom to catch and whom to ignore.
Old 30th July 2011, 10:01   #11
BANNED

Customs make their money on Cargo imports at airports and seaports. So they don't harass people anymore. However better to be safe with expensive items like DSLR's and maybe musical instruments and follow the above procedure.
Old 30th July 2011, 10:34   #12
BANNED

Customs have become far more friendly over the past few years. I went to Dubai recently which was about 20 years since my last trip abroad. They could not care much. They had closed the Green Channel, and were X-raying the baggage of Gulf returnees, but asked (3 of us) if we were under the limit, I said yes, and said just walk on. Today most stuff in cheaper here (unless from a free port) than from outside, and you get a warranty! A friend wanted an Omega and the price in India was if anything a couple of thousands cheaper than from the Gulf!
Old 30th July 2011, 10:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

My friend and colleague regularly travels with his massive photography equipment (All of which comes in a huge box of the size of a Trolly) to UK. As per our last discussion total cost of all his equipment put together is somewhere close to 5L+.

We have traveled twice together and never the customs have bothered to check or ask if this stuff has been bought from outside.

I myself have bought badminton equipment (Multiple rackets) which totaled to above 50K (INR) and was not stopped at the customs but i guess its because this was not electronics.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:56   #14
BHPian

Hello folks,

I recently had to travel to US for a company assignment and had to carry the company laptop with me. Now this laptop is a customs declared laptop which was brought in 2006 and i have a letter to prove the same. I plan to purchase a personal laptop on this visit and bring it back to india. Will I get into trouble with customs over this? I explicitly tried to declare it at the customs counter but the official sitting there was quite insulting and said that there is no provision to bring more than one laptop back to india and that they will charge duty and all even if it was a company laptop and a personal laptop. He also said something you guys think that you can do anything and that india has still not progressed enough that people can bring 2 laptops back and that they don't care if it's a company laptop etc. He also said that we can wait around and miss the flight if we want to. This is not my first travel to US. I have been there for more than 3 years and have made multiple trips but was shocked by the official's attitude. This was a senior official and his shoulder straps had a single ashok stupa and no *. He should have been around 40 years of age atleast. The equivalent that an Dy SP would have i guess

This happened in the new international terminal of the trivandrum airport. Just want to know what the rules say.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

For customs related rules - check this website Central Board of Excise and Customs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks