Team-BHP - Recession Again ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Recession Again ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/105647-recession-again-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2457370)
Since the Indian stock markets are falling like anything over the past few days, its good for my SIP's which fortunately are happening over the week.

Bad news is Gold is again is zoom away from the reach.

Read in UK papers today Shares worth of 125 billion GBP are wipred out in 5 days. :Frustrati

i consolidated some of my constantly "losing" funds into DSPs gold savings one.
peaking at about a 1.9% overall gain in the past 3-weeks.

Perhaps a bit OT and not sure if it was the right time to invest. Any comments?

Couple of weeks ago invested in 2 HDFC mutual funds each 10K/Month.

1. HDFC Top 200
2. HDFC Equity Fund

Both rated very highly and have been returning a minimum of 20% over the last 3-4 years.

Another interesting and attractive incentive was that both are open ended funds and can been withdrawn at any point of time. I think there is a negligible penalty of 1% if withdrawn before 1 year which is reasonable.

I faced the Recession when i graduated in 2009 and now when i am completing MBA. Oh well, talk about BAD LUCK! :deadhorse

I think, this time the Recession will not only hit us bad but also for a longer time, it will take more time for everyone to recover.

Will this also be a opportunity to invest once the market comes down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2457492)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2457498)
Will this also be a opportunity to invest once the market comes down?

If you are thinking of starting a SIP then this is a good time. But stick with the SIP. Do not go on selling spree once the market goes up.

I have learnt lessons from my friends who burnt their fingers while trying to predict market and invest accordingly. So I let the professionals do this. Fund Managers.

Quote:

Couple of weeks ago invested in 2 HDFC mutual funds each 10K/Month.

1. HDFC Top 200
2. HDFC Equity Fund

Both rated very highly and have been returning a minimum of 20% over the last 3-4 years.

Another interesting and attractive incentive was that both are open ended funds and can been withdrawn at any point of time. I think there is a negligible penalty of 1% if withdrawn before 1 year which is reasonable.

The most basic funda of investing is that the time you invest is the right time to invest!!! So no need to reflect on that.

If you dont need that money badly than let it remain invested. Both funds are top class funds that have seen many such lows and highs. In the long run you can expect better gains than any other investment avenues available today.

Quote:

Excellent funds of course! If you withdraw within a year you will have to pay 10% short term capital gains tax. The rule for mutual funds is just like your regular stocks.

Pradeep

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 2457576)
If you dont need that money badly than let it remain invested. Both funds are top class funds that have seen many such lows and highs. In the long run you can expect better gains than any other investment avenues available today.

Yeah, I dont need it badly that was the primary reason for starting this 20K/month SIP's

I dont expect to withdraw atleast for 3-4 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pradkumar (Post 2457590)
Excellent funds of course! If you withdraw within a year you will have to pay 10% short term capital gains tax. The rule for mutual funds is just like your regular stocks.

Hmmm! I thought it was a meagre 1%. Not sure if i heard them right when i signed the form. Thanks for the confirmation that they are good funds. In any case, my money is plonked for long term.

In the past, another fund that I made good moolah was on Fidelity MF. I got a return of more than 45% after 3 years.

If we are in recession mode again, would there be a considerable impact on the real estate sector. The sector has been holding on to some high level pricing till now. Would like to see it come down the way it did in 2008.

If thereis a recession indeed, should we also see the inflation coming down?

Real estate will definately will come down, as invester prefer cash rich during such times. During 2007-09 too we have seen downturn in read estate. End 09 it started picking up and now at peek.

Not a good thing to happen. I hope US recovers well. Historically whenever gold prices zoom off, recession follows. But this time as many have predicted that things might not go well for US ( I wish from the base of my heart that nothing happens ).

Last time when I graduated, IT was not so good shape. Now I will be completing my PG and again recession. Actually wondering what would be my fate...!

Recession : When the GDP reduces i.e. goes down ( to the best of my knowledge ). So you guys think that GDP will go down for US ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2457678)
I got a return of more than 45% after 3 years.

Awesome. Respect to you Sir.
Was it a SIP kind of thing or just bulk investment at right time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2457688)
If we are in recession mode again, would there be a considerable impact on the real estate sector. The sector has been holding on to some high level pricing till now. Would like to see it come down the way it did in 2008.

If thereis a recession indeed, should we also see the inflation coming down?

There will be impact but do not expect too much. Indians have unimaginable amount of black money hidden away. It will take some real big recession for Indians to exhaust that pool of hidden money.

Inflation? I feel its kind of complicated. More dependent on monsoons in case of India. RBI might reduce the rates though it will happen much later now. Right now we have double digit inflation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam003 (Post 2457695)
Real estate will definately will come down, as invester prefer cash rich during such times. During 2007-09 too we have seen downturn in read estate. End 09 it started picking up and now at peek.

Hopefully. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2457735)
Awesome. Respect to you Sir.
Was it a SIP kind of thing or just bulk investment at right time?

It was not a SIP. It was supposed to be a tax saving instrument and 20K would have sufficed but, I thankfully invested 1 Lakh in that fund and got that great return after 3 years.

However, Sadly, another fund took that profit away which was also during the same period. It was SBI Mutual Fund which again was a bulk investment and after 3 years, instead of 50K that I invested, I got a return of 48K.

2K Loss....It was a disaster.

The biggest consumer is cash strapped eh?
On a positive note, we as a country have massive domestic consumption as well as potential. So, if managed well we will emerge better off.

Not to forget our savings a.k.a black money:D

On a serious note, its not a second global recession as the countries worst hit have not recovered yet including the US and EU.

OT: Has anyone seen the documentary Obama Deception? :thumbs up

Demise of West, Rise of Rest. It has started happening no doubt about it. While the power shifted from East to West, India had to undergo back breaking slavery. Now the cycle is coming back towards East and China is leading the way, closely followed by India. Times in memorial this is an indefinite cycle.

It will be painful for them and tough work but pleasurable for young India. The fast pace of growth has come in due to looking at West and gaining the business from them, our young need to understand that it is not easy money rather its money coming from hard work of our engineers and middle class that tirelessly work to strive for excellence and saves for the next generation.

If China can do inclusive growth and find avenues to survive pre-liberal policy came about. We Indians can and should look at inclusive growth and as mentioned by my peers on the forum there are plenty or say abundant opportunities. We just need to be a bit more respectful of others in our society and we will be a superpower for sure.

These recessions are sociopolitical in nature and thus its man made. Yes, people sometimes are ruthless just to have short-term gains and that is painful. This is leading Euro-zone to brink of split as they are contemplate between if Germans who works hard should support Greek who are not as productive as them and then maybe Italy/Spain/Portugal will ask for more support and list seems endless. Why is this cropping up, just because they are thinking short term, daily bread and butter is dear to all and they have now admitted that China and India or say BRIC countries are gonna take over sometime soon. Weaking of their currency has effect on others and so they play this card and now they want to prepare a base stating recession or double dip. The fact remains the greed in West is eating them alive and that they do not have prowess to fight China and India on equal scale. Resource grabbing has alienated them from Africa and Middle East. So dear friends my rant is just to say that these times are something West is fabricating to somehow perplex the uninitiated in East so that they can hold on to their lead. Cheers!

I understand everyone investing in the markets at a time like this, but isn't liquidity important too?