Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 07:39   #316
BHPian

Re: H1B visa -Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So no, the threat this time is real and genuine. They aren't replacing processes, they are replacing human intelligence and more than anything, the sheer pace at which this is happening is scary.
I agree. Watson supercomputer is already assisting Oncologists of Manipal hospital in Cancer treatment. Google is teaching the systems AI to detect Diabetic retinopathy.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/technol.../1/822886.html
http://www.thehindu.com/business/IBM...le14556945.ece
Old 20th February 2017, 11:43   #317
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recession Again ?

Mahindra suspends appraisal to people with 6+ years of experience.

http://www.businesstoday.in/current/...ors_picks=true
Old 20th February 2017, 12:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

I think what Watson and other tools (!) help us solve are a different set of issues. Mostly used for brute force analysis and solutions deduced from such computing power. They need a good enough data set to work through. Good algorithms will expand on the power of what they can do. They are essential for us too.

Didn't introduction of computers itself create a big change in the ways we managed, stored and searched information ? This is the next logical step with a bit of more intelligence. Such things will keep happening.
Old 20th February 2017, 20:04   #319
BHPian

Interesting read that I came across today:

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/tech-med...=home-business
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:00   #320
BHPian

So what set of skills and/or behavior should one acquire over the next few years to be future proof?

I understand this again is not an easy one to answer, but we could take some generic examples, like a middle age IT professional with a family.

Would appreciate extensive answers on this since many here could benefit, and some of you guys here seem to have a really good understanding on the problems staring us in the face.
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:51   #321
BANNED

@avisidhu; It will be silly to try and judge the future. One can look at evolutionary changes, but never predict the true revolutionary changes. Even Watson (of IBM fame) could not predict the evolution of computers. For a middle aged professional it is time you moved from the front line to management.
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:00   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For a middle aged professional it is time you moved from the front line to management.
But sir, may I ask why? What's wrong in learning, adapting & staying technical & doing the actual work rather than getting the work done?
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:14   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
So what set of skills and/or behavior should one acquire over the next few years to be future proof?

I understand this again is not an easy one to answer, but we could take some generic examples, like a middle age IT professional with a family.

Would appreciate extensive answers on this since many here could benefit, and some of you guys here seem to have a really good understanding on the problems staring us in the face.
Flexibility.. is what I feel can make/ and has always made humans survive. Be ready to change the way we do things.. may be think also. Kids always do this. You take away the toy or a tool from kid, but they will always find an alternative.
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:18   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Answer is easy, but execution is not so easy. Statistics is going to be the new literacy. Learn the basics first, that means probability, sampling methods, distributions, standard deviation, inferences, etc. Many of the popular courses focus directly on analytics, R and machine learning. They only end up teaching you tools, which is not helpful. Please learn the basics first, then delve into statistical learning, stochastic decision processes, etc. A statistics aware IT professional can move to an entirely different level.

Quote:
For a middle aged professional it is time you moved from the front line to management.
This is the old formula, which is quickly going obsolete with increase in automation and machine learning. Even management requires hard skills in future.
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:30   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've thought of this at length - and the only conclusion I've come to is not to worry too much about the future, it doesn't really help. Easier said than done though. I'll think of a problem after it happens rather than now.

I've also decided not to pick up any new skills . I wouldn't spend time on something that doesn't assure me returns , I'd rather use my time elsewhere. What I would do is to cut down , wherever possible , on large expenses ( house ,car etc). The less you have in life , the less worried and more free you are.

Again , these are my thoughts , and others are obviously free to do what they think is right for them.
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:56   #326
Team-BHP Support

While specifics may vary, there's a common theme to all of this.

The days of having ONE set of skills for one's working lifetime are over, ergo the concept of 'future-proof' is over too.

One needs to learn, unlearn and relearn periodically to stay relevant. To Samurai's example of statistics, couldn't agree more. Learn the basics (concept-level) of anything and the knowledge will stay relevant for life. Learning a certain method of doing something only stays relevant until the method does, which can be pretty dangerous if you're doing it for a living today.

To be a bit more specific: Learn 'Concepts' & 'Methods' --> Retain 'Concepts' & Unlearn 'Methods' --> Update 'Concepts' & Relearn 'New Methods'

Easier said than done, of course
Old 24th February 2017, 03:53   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about other industries but this so not true of the IT industry and where it is heading. Infact as per Capgemini CEO the mid and senior managment roles are the one's which are at most risk.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57232268.cms

Quote:

I remember while I was in IBM, we got an email in 2014 and it said or rather implied that it you want to stay relevant in IT for the next 10 years move into either of the three.
1. Cloud computing DevOps(AWS,Azure)
2. Data Analytics (Not just the tools as Samurai said, you need to learn Algebra along with Statistics)
3. Mobile App programming (iOS/Android)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th February 2017 at 05:24. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 24th February 2017, 09:59   #328
BANNED

Quote:
@avisidhu; It will be silly to try and judge the future. One can look at evolutionary changes, but never predict the true revolutionary changes. Even Watson (of IBM fame) could not predict the evolution of computers. For a middle aged professional it is time you moved from the front line to management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But sir, may I ask why? What's wrong in learning, adapting & staying technical & doing the actual work rather than getting the work done?
In IT you need to almost relearn everything in a maximum of five years, as technology progresses. Also, the 'moolah' in management is better.

If you are happy where you are and are willing to run ever faster to keep static then all the best to you.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:16   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In IT you need to almost relearn everything in a maximum of five years, as technology progresses. Also, the 'moolah' in management is better
Same goes with every profession Doctors, Architects, Lab Technicians, Telecom, even the photography has changed a lot in the last decade. With IT being the backbone of every emerging technology, I think it is inevitable to stay updated even outside IT.

Samurai san & extreme_torque have penned down the reality

And I think it's no relearn, below is aptly put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
To be a bit more specific: Learn 'Concepts' & 'Methods' --> Retain 'Concepts' & Unlearn 'Methods' --> Update 'Concepts' & Relearn 'New Methods'
Old 20th March 2017, 16:26   #330
Team-BHP Support

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...obs-year-58893

Don't miss the last line of the article. It is happening...

Most Viewed